Can OSX do this? why not?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
ok some simple things but they get annoying after a while.

1. In Safari (or any other browser on mac OS X) when there is a form on a webpage with multiple items, I would like to press the first letter of the item and have it jump to any item within that form with that letter.

(you know those forms where you have to select which state you are in when you sign up for some account. And there is a list of all the states, in windows it was simple I fill out my name hit Tab, then pw, tab, Press C (selects california) tab, and I move on... but for some reason I can't do it on a Mac, not sure if I'm doing it right....but I figure it should work...its so simple...

2. When a message box pops up with a few buttons such as: Cancel, Ok, Retry (or whatever...) instead of using my mouse I would rather use my keyboard to switch between the selected buttons. When I hit tab I see a little blue thing switching but when i hit enter it always does whatever is colored dark blue rather than what is selected.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackwind212

2. When a message box pops up with a few buttons such as: Cancel, Ok, Retry (or whatever...) instead of using my mouse I would rather use my keyboard to switch between the selected buttons. When I hit tab I see a little blue thing switching but when i hit enter it always does whatever is colored dark blue rather than what is selected.

I'll answer the easy one first:

System Preferences->Keyboard & mouse ->Keyboard Shortcuts->check "turn on full keyboard access" at the bottom.

Viola
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

1. In Safari (or any other browser on mac OS X) when there is a form on a webpage with multiple items, I would like to press the first letter of the item and have it jump to any item within that form with that letter.

(you know those forms where you have to select which state you are in when you sign up for some account. And there is a list of all the states, in windows it was simple I fill out my name hit Tab, then pw, tab, Press C (selects california) tab, and I move on... but for some reason I can't do it on a Mac, not sure if I'm doing it right....but I figure it should work...its so simple...

When you enable keyboard access you'll be able to do the above. Hit the down arrow to open the drop down list and type the first letter of the item you want. For me to select michigan from a state dropdown id do down arrow(once I tabbed to the list) and hit MI. On M$ I could get away with repeatedly hitting m to cycle through, but on my mac I have to type the letters sequentially. I don't know if there is another solution because the above works well enough for me.

Good luck Enjoy.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Space will activate the highlighted button. Enter will activate the active button.

You know, I expect, that very, very often the buttons in OS X dialogs have keyboard shortcuts associated with them... esc for Cancel, command-D for don't save, return for active button... etc.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Hit space bar instead.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

System Preferences->Keyboard & mouse ->Keyboard Shortcuts->check "turn on full keyboard access" at the bottom.

Viola

What does a violin-looking instrument have to do with anything?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

it is pronounced walla (in this case) **

**Oops, sorry he mispelled voila.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=voila

fun with google while I drink my coffee...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    solved my problems. THANKS GUYS!!

Loving my OS X once again :-)
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I've been doing this for a couple of months now. I put viola (as in Vee-Oh-Lah) and you're the first to if not notice then to comment on it. I started doing it to see if a study I read was true. Basically you can interchange most, if not all, of the letters between the first letter and last letter of a word and it is usually readible. Most people read context rather than the words themselves. I thought it was pretty neat and decided to play with it using a few select words.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

I've been doing this for a couple of months now. I put viola (as in Vee-Oh-Lah) and you're the first to if not notice then to comment on it. I started doing it to see if a study I read was true. Basically you can interchange most, if not all, of the letters between the first letter and last letter of a word and it is usually readible. Most people read context rather than the words themselves. I thought it was pretty neat and decided to play with it using a few select words.

Yaeh rgiht.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Viola

I can't believe I've used OSX for two years without learning that tip. All the breath I've wasted cursing companies that put alphabetical pop-up menus of all 187 nations on their website, forcing me to scroll for hours to reach the one that 90% of their customers are from, being careful not to accidentally select Uruguay, lest I have to do the whole thing again (damn biotech suppliers are the worst offenders). All the time I've spent scrolling through pop-up menus with alphabetical lists of states to reach my blasted has-to-begin-with-W adoptive state. I could have earned a PhD with all that wasted time.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I thought Viola was just the author's name. (And very pretty it is too.)
  • Reply 12 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    hmmm

I just click the pop-up, and hit the letter 'N' and it scrolls to the N states. From there I can easily click 'North Carolina'.

Is that just me?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

hmmm

I just click the pop-up, and hit the letter 'N' and it scrolls to the N states. From there I can easily click 'North Carolina'.

Is that just me?

Not just you. I often do this on a variety of websites, including www.usps.com when calculating postage.

However, it seems that this sometimes stops working until I restart my computer.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

I know, i am a rabit in the cage, you are watching me, dman srur