Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just read this article on the Register:

Link Here!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Certainly Power 5 is known to support simultaneous multi-threading (SMT), the same technique that Intel uses but calls HyperThreading. Essentially, functional units unneeded by one thread are given a second thread to process, with the upshot that the OS 'sees' the CPU as two, rather than one. You don't get a doubling of performance, but there is a gain.

What the h3ll is this? Are they downplaying the Dual core by saying this? Was there never a dual core intended just rumors based on BS?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    power 5 is dual core "SMP" but on one die and muti-threaded "SMT" Dual core can be faster than traditional SMP in certain situations... SMT is nothing compaired to traditional SMP and Dual Core... all require app support though
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

What the h3ll is this? Are they downplaying the Dual core by saying this? Was there never a dual core intended just rumors based on BS?

Nope Dual Cores are still important. Efuse sounds like Powertune Pro actually. Nice tech..I wonder if it'll make it into the derivative. Dual Core and SMT(efuse) will co-exist nicely.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    SMT, SMP - I was confused. That was a good kick in the gut.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kick in the gut...was not my intention...i assumed it was an overlook

sometimes i come off as rude...i'm working on it
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibookgeek

kick in the gut...was not my intention...i assumed it was an overlook

sometimes i come off as rude...i'm working on it

it wasn't you, or anybody, but my imagination that had me gasping for air. My fault.