Official Word on Tiger

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So I've been following the developer leaks of 10.4 and whatnot; getting great nerdy little tidbits. But I was wondering, when are we going to get official word from Apple on the other 140 great new features in Tiger?

Is there going to be a separate Stevenote later in the year just for the consumer end of Tiger features?

Will more be revealed in Paris?

And another question: with the demi-god Jobs out of comish for a while with his sickness, who's giving the Apple Expo Paris keynote address? Please tell me it's not Avi Tevenian or Phil Schiller... They have the collective charisma of a bowl of eyeballs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I don't think we start to hear more about the other features until the actual Beta process starts. Keep in mind the features will be small. Panther's Features range from sizable to pretty small. But you know sometimes it's the "little" features that add up and make the difference.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    With CoreImage, I bet we will see a lot of new eye candy added to the Tiger UI before it ships.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Who's giving the keynote in Paris???
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Jobs is taking August off. The keynote is in September, I see no reason why he won't be delivering the keynote.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Jobs is taking August off. The keynote is in September, I see no reason why he won't be delivering the keynote.

The keynote is on August 31st. No one knows if Steve is still giving the speech though.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I'm sure he would want to be the one who debuts the new iMacs. Even if he has to do it over iChat AV using an iSight.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    This early in development, Apple themselves probably don't know which 150 features will make it in. They know what they hope will make it in, and they know what has a reasonable chance of being ready for prime time when Tiger's released, and they've given themselves months of leeway by refusing to pin a specific date to Tiger's release. Despite all that, there remains the possibility that a feature they wanted has a fatal bug that doesn't show up until final QA, and it has to be nixed or hidden.

So my guess is that Steve will stick to the major features that he mentioned at WWDC until MWSF at the earliest. And, of course, there's no way he's going over all 150 in any case.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Wouldn't that be something if steve did the keynote over iChat.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

In sterile post-surgery scrubs....wouldn't that be a hoot.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

In sterile post-surgery scrubs....wouldn't that be a hoot.

Try as I might, I am able to think only sobering thoughts about Steve Jobs's fight with cancer. I am, however, happy that you find it a "hoot."
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Try as I might, I am able to think only sobering thoughts about Steve Jobs's fight with cancer. I am, however, happy that you find it a "hoot."

Gotta be a way to lighten up the situation somehow. While the big CA is always something to worry about, Steve got off real lucky.

Anyway, I doubt Steve's even in the hospital anymore. He probably had the tumor laproscopically removed and was out of the hospital after 2-3 days at most.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

The thing is, it's over now. Steve doesn't have cancer anymore. It was a relatively benign version to begin with.

Sorry I offended you.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    All the best to Steve. I hope he's well enough to send a "Dick Cheney greeting" out to Real's Glaser via iChat during the keynote.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by thedazellama

Who's giving the keynote in Paris???

Phil Schiller will be giving the keynote in Steve's absence.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

I'm not sure his RDF would be strong enough were it relayed in via iChat.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

I'm not sure his RDF would be strong enough were it relayed in via iChat.

It's always worked over QT streams and even TechTV broadcasts.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    jasocojasoco Posts: 74member
    Since Steve won't be there, Phil'll have to emit an RDF by proxy. Let's hope Phil's portable RDF transmitter works well enough.