VPC Pricing is out

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Virtual PC for Mac Version 7 for Windows XP Professional - $249 USD

Virtual PC for Mac Version 7 for Windows XP Home Edition - $219 USD

Virtual PC for Mac Version 7 for Windows 2000 Professional - $249 USD

Virtual PC for Mac Version 7 - $129

Virtual PC for Mac Version 7 Upgrade - $99

What do you guys think ? Kind of expensive, in my oppinion. $129 for a version without a licence to Windows. Thats only US120 for XP Pro. How much is it retail ?

.:BoeManE:.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    VPC 6 w/o OS went for $99, so it's only $30 more than it was a couple years ago. That's not really a huge price jump.

I believe XPPro MSRP is $299 but you shouldn't have to pay that much. Still, not a bad price considering.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Not a bad set of prices, given what it will include. However, for me, the BIG question is whether VPC 7 will allow me to run PC games with native use of 3D graphics card so it can play basically any PC game I want.

Doom3 will be on Mac eventually, butif VPC delivers true native graphics support, I could buy the PC verion and play doom3 on my G5-2.5

Here's hoping MS (MostlyShit) doesn't screw me over!

• Reply 3 of 13
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adeutsch

Not a bad set of prices, given what it will include. However, for me, the BIG question is whether VPC 7 will allow me to run PC games with native use of 3D graphics card so it can play basically any PC game I want.

Doom3 will be on Mac eventually, butif VPC delivers true native graphics support, I could buy the PC verion and play doom3 on my G5-2.5

I dont think so. Even if it does have direct graphics card support, not everything in a game runs on the graphics hardware. There are a LOT of logic that runs on the CPU, which VPC is too slow to do anyway. Including direct graphics card support might let you play quake 2 if you're lucky...

If playing PC games are the main reason you have one, get a PC, or even better. a console (I know, I know. Not all games are worth playing on a console)

• Reply 4 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah. Doom III won't run in VPC for 5 years.

Maybe Doom II. Or a rousing game of ol' Solitaire. I want to play some cool games that were never ported like Cubis, that's about it, and it handles small games like that. For some reason Cubis didn't like Win2000 in VPC 6. We'll see how it does in Win2000 and VPC 7.

Does anyone think VPC 7 will have XP acceleration? Or will 2000 still be waaay faster than XP? I think 2000 is a lot simpler, easier to use, faster, and more stable that XP, from what I've seen. However it is starting to be incompatible with stuff and I hear the new service packs after 3 cripple its speed. So what're ya'll running on VPC? I think I'll stick to 2000 SP2 until I get a faster Mac!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Does anyone think VPC 7 will have XP acceleration? Or will 2000 still be waaay faster than XP? I think 2000 is a lot simpler, easier to use, faster, and more stable that XP, from what I've seen. However it is starting to be incompatible with stuff and I hear the new service packs after 3 cripple its speed. So what're ya'll running on VPC? I think I'll stick to 2000 SP2 until I get a faster Mac!

I'm running VPC 6 with Win2000 SP4 I think. I'm getting fairly good speed on my PB 1.25 GHz (15"), enough at least to do programming in C# and MS SQL Server (Yeah, I know. It's already decided by my Uni...)...

• Reply 6 of 13
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adeutsch

You have no idea what emulators are like do you. Running an emulator is not like turning on a PC inside a Mac with speeds even close to what you were getting.

Here is an example.

VPC 6 on a 867MHZ G4 (about as fast as a 1GHz PC) in VPC Windows thinks your using a 200MHz Pentium MMX. Not a Pentium 2 - a Pentium MMX. That is extremely slow.

To run DOOM3 in VPC you would need about a 15GHz dual core G10.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

You have no idea what emulators are like do you. Running an emulator is not like turning on a PC inside a Mac with speeds even close to what you were getting.

Here is an example.

VPC 6 on a 867MHZ G4 (about as fast as a 1GHz PC) in VPC Windows thinks your using a 200MHz Pentium MMX. Not a Pentium 2 - a Pentium MMX. That is extremely slow.

To run DOOM3 in VPC you would need about a 15GHz dual core G10.

Yea but no one knows what Microsoft has changed since they bought the company, and made it G5 compatible. Not to mention a new G5 is significantly faster than a 867MHz G4. Running Doom3 might out of the question, but older games might not be.\
  • Reply 8 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaegermann

Yea but no one knows what Microsoft has changed since they bought the company, and made it G5 compatible. Not to mention a new G5 is significantly faster than a 867MHz G4. Running Doom3 might out of the question, but older games might not be.\

WOOHOO, I can finaly play the original "castle wolfenstein" in a mac emmulator running in a windows 2000 emmulator running in a windows xp wmmulator running on a mac...aw hell with it, I should just forget about old games...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i still say microsoft would love nothing better than to give every mac user a REASON to actually buy a license for windows. heck, it's also got to be easier to support than the full-frontal windows that has to run on every pc out there, regardless if it came from dell or radio shack spare parts.

point is, i will be very interested to see what people with actual access to the belly of the beast could do with connectix's efforts. and connectix was beginning to plateau in terms of what they could do to vpc anyway behind the scenes (or so it felt to me).

but maybe all this time has been spent simply correcting a lot of stuff connectix guessed at and got wrong, but still made it work.

i just find it a bit amusing that microsoft apparently took out all of these full-page print ads for vpc in the mac magazines, yet it's the service patches for xp that are supposedly slowing down the works. ah, the irony...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i still say microsoft would love nothing better than to give every mac user a REASON to actually buy a license for windows. heck, it's also got to be easier to support than the full-frontal windows that has to run on every pc out there, regardless if it came from dell or radio shack spare parts.

Dell uses radioshack spare parts, at least on the low end do they not?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

WOOHOO, I can finaly play the original "castle wolfenstein" in a mac emmulator running in a windows 2000 emmulator running in a windows xp wmmulator running on a mac...aw hell with it, I should just forget about old games..

'

That game rocks!!! And actually it's worth it, some stuff in Basilisk II works that doesn't in Classic. Lunatic Fringe no worky in Classic. Hope they'll fix that in Tiger or something.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

'

That game rocks!!! And actually it's worth it, some stuff in Basilisk II works that doesn't in Classic. Lunatic Fringe no worky in Classic. Hope they'll fix that in Tiger or something.

I was actualy kidding, I forgot the </sarcasum> tag, sorry

But this is a great day, because G5 users can finaly have the joys of spy/ad/mal ware, all be it emmulated, they can be spyed on too, it is about time.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I currently use VPC 5.0 with FreeDos and various versions of Linux and BSD distros. I am interested in seeing if the new version continues to support non Microsoft OS's.