upgrading

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
we have Mac OS X 10.2 and want to upgrade.

Is it better to wait till Tiger is out? Or just upgrade now and then upgrade again later?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sparhawk

we have Mac OS X 10.2 and want to upgrade.

Is it better to wait till Tiger is out? Or just upgrade now and then upgrade again later?

Tiger won't be out for at least 6 months, at least. That is half the career of MacOS X 10.2. Based on your expectations of your work flow, can you wait another six months to upgrade your OS? Are you able to do everything you want to do now? If the answer to either question is "No," then you should go ahead and buy Panther. Otherwise, wait.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cancan Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Tiger won't be out for at least 6 months, at least. That is half the career of MacOS X 10.2. Based on your expectations of your work flow, can you wait another six months to upgrade your OS? Are you able to do everything you want to do now? If the answer to either question is "No," then you should go ahead and buy Panther. Otherwise, wait.

Is it true Tiger can ONLY run on G5?

If so is there a way around it?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by can

Is it true Tiger can ONLY run on G5?

If so is there a way around it?

That is not true at all. Tiger will run fine on G4's and I'd even expect it to run fine on some G3 iBooks.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cancan Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

That is not true at all. Tiger will run fine on G4's and I'd even expect it to run fine on some G3 iBooks.

That sounds wonderful !

How did you find out?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by can

That sounds wonderful !

How did you find out?

Since Apple is still selling G4 Powerbooks they are somewhat compelled to ensure the OS will run on them 6 months from now.

Kidding aside, Tiger is going to be an amazing upgrade but it is still an evolution of what already runs fine on existing machines. Things like Coreimage will or will not work based on your video chip but in the event they don't work then Tiger will fall back to something else.

64 bitness is supported but certainly not a requirement for Tiger to work.