Which distributed computing effort should I spend MY clockcycles on?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'll be getting high speed internet soon, and since I won't be using it all the time (and I don't want my parents to have more bandwidth than they deserve), I'm looking for some way to expend my cable access and G5.





Seti is a bit of a dead-end project, however cool, in my eyes



Folding looks nice



Is GoogleCompute even available for the Mac?





Any others that I should look at?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Been chucking [email protected] since 1999... however I didn't care less until I get myself a dual G4 2 years ago. So far, I completed 2537 units.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    SETI is something that has trouble getting funding to buy their own computers. Drug companies have no trouble with funding biological research. My cycles vote for SETI.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

    Originally posted by a10t2

    SETI is something that has trouble getting funding to buy their own computers. Drug companies have no trouble with funding biological research. My cycles vote for SETI.



    You're aware that [email protected] is run by Stanford? And that the work they're doing actually has real social utility, and requires huge amounts of computing.



    [email protected] is the scientific equivalent of the search for the heffalump.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I'll send you a copy of ElectricImage RenderSlave. Then you can render stuff for me.



    I have unlimited licenses so it's even legal.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Splinemodel

    I'll send you a copy of ElectricImage RenderSlave. Then you can render stuff for me.



    I have unlimited licenses so it's even legal.




    I thought that kind of thing had to be done over a LAN.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    How about a distributed RenderMan effort?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Placebo

    I thought that kind of thing had to be done over a LAN.



    All I need is an IP. Once the files to be rendered are sent, it's not a lot of data back and forth.



    Renderman is extremely expensive and not really any better than EI for most things. so I don't have it.
Sign In or Register to comment.