REALISTIC suggestions for new iMac 2004

191011121315»

Comments

• Reply 281 of 287
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    If you have OS X Server, installing, updating and reinstalling over a network is a cinch. This is a solved problem.

As for the TS iMac specs: I think Nick's being more general about price than people think. He only says it'll be in the same general range, and possibly top out higher. He then gives the current price range as a reminder, but that doesn't mean it defines the upper and lower bounds. Apple's made last-minute price changes anyway, so price is very hard to predict, even if you do have an accurate source.

On the other hand, somehow it's just not that hard for me to see Apple introducing yet another iMac at $1299, and hoping they can push the price down over time. That guarantees the existence of the eMac for a good long while, since $1299 is not a good starting price for a consumer line. I really hope they hit $999, or at least $1099 out of the starting gate, but this is Apple.

Since the long-simmering tablet rumors seem to be coming to a boil, maybe Apple is going to shake up their low end in a way that makes a premium iMac sensible, or at least understandable?

I think the video card specs are wrong. Those are the current iMac GPUs. That doesn't mean that Apple won't grandfather them in, but it does allow for the possibility of confusion. Or else Apple might have shipped out test mules with the old chipsets.
  • Reply 282 of 287
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Yes AMorph, that is easy..... BUT not every institution has those resources. I still think it would be a mistake to take that drive out.

Graphics cards.... apple is still using the 5200 in Powermacs.... figure that one out.
  • Reply 283 of 287
    I'm with amorph on this one. There's such a large price difference between the optical-drive $999 eMac and the "hey, I've got no optical drive" $1299 iMac.

Let's just wait for the official MSRPs later this month because I'm frankly not sold on these numbers just yet.
  • Reply 284 of 287
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Yes AMorph, that is easy..... BUT not every institution has those resources.

Then they don't buy that model. I don't think this is the only machine Apple will offer to education, it's just an edu-only machine because it only makes sense in that context.

BTW, anyone who was buying that model would be buying lots of them, which means they'd probably be asking for the servers to run them, etc. This is the sort of machine you buy on a bid for a full set of equipment, not something you pick up on the way home from work. And the cost of an Xserve relative to a roomful of computers is pretty low anyway, so the general idea is that it's less expensive to go with a server and so many driveless clients, and more secure and easier to maintain to boot.

Quote:

I still think it would be a mistake to take that drive out.

Nah. You just have to look at how the machines are bought and used to see that it makes sense. A school that wants standalone iMacs with optical drives can always buy them. This model is specifically in response to demand for a desktop client that can be locked down and administered centrally.

Quote:

Graphics cards.... apple is still using the 5200 in Powermacs.... figure that one out.

If you're not buying a PowerMac to do the sort of work that requires a buff GPU, why would you want to pay for one? That slot's there for a reason.
  • Reply 285 of 287
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I don't believe ThinkSecret. The processor speeds are actually fine and are in line with the G5 yields, but the rest doesn't make alot of sense. Why would there be an educational iMac that pricer and less capable than the current eMacs?!?!?!?

I hope the resemblence with the Sony begins and ends at the powercable.
  • Reply 286 of 287
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

I don't believe ThinkSecret. The processor speeds are actually fine and are in line with the G5 yields, but the rest doesn't make alot of sense. Why would there be an educational iMac that pricer and less capable than the current eMacs?!?!?!?

The Thinksecret specs seem odd. It really is as if they mention the G5 and new enclosure then slop in the details from the outgoing line of iMacs. I think the only reliable portion may be processor/enslosure.
  • Reply 287 of 287
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Yah I have to agree with you. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Personally I can't really see institutions taking the iMac (if these specs are true) over the eMac... why just cause it has a lcd?

Quote:

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!