iLife '05

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I know it's perhaps a little bit early to be thinking about iLife 05... 04 hasn't exactly been out that long, but iLife is a great suite of consumer programs and i'm wondering...

What do people want to see in iLife 05?

What do people expect to see in iLife 05?

Will there be a totally new program, such as GarageBand in 04, or will it just be refinement of existing programs?

Personally, I want to see 05 take full advantage of all the great stuff Tiger is going to bring us, which i think is probably a given.

I don't know what sort of program they could include to beef up the suite... the existing apps cover a lot of bases very well. Anyone got any bright ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Call me crazy but I predict a higher version number on each app and a few cool new features to match.

and one more thing, iLife 05 for windows!!!
  • Reply 2 of 29
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Call me crazy but I predict a higher version number on each app and a few cool new features to match.

and one more thing, iLife 05 for windows!!!

Well, i took higher version numbers as a given

Do you seriously think we'll see iLife for windows? It would be cool for Apple to do it and show other windows-based companies how to do it, because iLife really is head and shoulders above any consumer suite on windows.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maffrew

Well, i took higher version numbers as a given

Do you seriously think we'll see iLife for windows? It would be cool for Apple to do it and show other windows-based companies how to do it, because iLife really is head and shoulders above any consumer suite on windows.

there is no suit on windows, you just have to find a bunch of programs and hope that the output works from one app to the next. you have itunes, napster, sony and so on for music, none of which work with Windows movie maker, then you have picasa for photos, not nearly as intuitive as iPhoto, there is a myriod of DVD software for windows, most of which sucks, I use Nero. and then we have GB, the closest thing to that is ACID, I shouldnt need a pro app on windows to do what a basic entry level mac app can do, sad but true.

Apple could make this HUGE, they already have a tone of itunes users, if they advertized this in a "IF you liked itunes, you are gonna love this" way, it would be HUGE, and get a bundleing deal with HP and maybe even DELL...
  • Reply 4 of 29
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

there is no suit on windows, you just have to find a bunch of programs and hope that the output works from one app to the next. you have itunes, napster, sony and so on for music, none of which work with Windows movie maker, then you have picasa for photos, not nearly as intuitive as iPhoto, there is a myriod of DVD software for windows, most of which sucks, I use Nero. and then we have GB, the closest thing to that is ACID, I shouldnt need a pro app on windows to do what a basic entry level mac app can do, sad but true.

Apple could make this HUGE, they already have a tone of itunes users, if they advertized this in a "IF you liked itunes, you are gonna love this" way, it would be HUGE, and get a bundleing deal with HP and maybe even DELL...

Yeah, you're absolutely right

When you put it like that, it's easy to see it being a fantastically successful venture.

I've not been using Apple products for long, but software seems, to me, to be their strongest asset. They make great looking, simple, yet profoundly powerful applications.

I guess their conundrum would be if they port iLife to Windows, they can no longer use it as a hook to switch people and sell hardware, undermining that sector of their business. I don't pretend to understand business models or markets, but that seems like a problem to me. I guess Apple would have to (and probably are doing) weigh up what can make them more profit.

Either way, i use iLife 04 a lot on my PowerBook, and i'm looking forward to seeing what 05 offers.

I think far too much in advance \
  • Reply 5 of 29
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    If iLife was ported to Windows, why would anyone buy a Mac?

If nobody buys a Mac, why would Apple even bother existing?

I'd really hate to see Apple leave the computer business to solely make sell software and iPods.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    seriously yea. iLife is one of the most important software suites that comes with a mac. It's an essential part of how you pull people over to the white side.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hmmm. Considering that CoreImage/Video are going to make iLife '05 potentially a *HUGE* upgrade over '04...

Perhaps Apple will tweak the '04 versions to add some nice tidbits and clean up the UIs/features, and make that the Windows package... with the vastly superior '05 version for the Mac only.

"If you like the UI, and basic functionality, come on over to our side and see how good it can actually be..."

Most Windows users have no idea that iPhoto/iMovie/iDVD even exist, much less how nice they (generally) are to use. Let them taste them, but not get the full deal.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I would like to see more functions in iPhoto. Simple cropping, adjusting image size and changing of image type. I have not even gotten close to using most functions in iMovie and it still does everything that I want it to do. Otherwise I am very happy with what they have right now.

reg
  • Reply 9 of 29
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    It's a bit too dangerous to create iLife 05 for windows.

iTunes is already Windows compat.

iPhoto- Google's Picasa is free

Garageband- Potential

iMovie- Potential

iDVD- No potential. iDVD is linked to the Superdrive.

iLife 05 should be the enticement to buy a Mac. The Tiger enabled version should rock as Kickaha has stated. I'm sure the link between the apps will improve and quality will improve because Quicktime will stop being so crappy. imovie should support more audio channels Yeah!

Garageband will support displaying a video window for doing easy scores to your iMovies.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Do you think ilife 2005 will be out before Tiger? Does the OS normally come with the current ilife suite, or do you have to buy both?
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Do you think ilife 2005 will be out before Tiger? Does the OS normally come with the current ilife suite, or do you have to buy both?

You have to buy both. Currently Apple is offering a special where you purchase Panther if you don't have it and iLife 04 and you get $50 back after a mail in rebate.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

i think it will come out after Tiger, and make use of lots of fancy CoreImage/Data stuff
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Porting iLife to Windows would be a complete disaster IMHO

Within minutes of its release (or even before its release as was the case with Doom 3) it would be available on Bittorrent, IRC, and newsgroups and be pirated to death.

Piracy isn't such a big problem on the Mac as the programs are hard(er) to find than on the PC, and also because iLife 04 comes bundled with every Mac sold (thereby offering another incentive to buy a Mac).

The port of iTunes to windows was an entirely different matter, this allowed and gave Apple potentially millions more customers for their ITMS and was required for ITMS to continue to grow.

Don't do it Steve, it ain't worth it.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    I'm satisfied with the feature set of iMovie and iDVD, although I'm not a heavy user of either. I don't use Garageband.

iPhoto needs a couple of refinements. I'd especially like to see nested folders and nested keywords. In addition a few additional features such as allowing rotations that aren't just in 90 degree increments would be nice. And metadata export would be great.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    The big update to it will probably include Core Image and Core Video technologies, iMovie and the like will compare to professional grade solutions in a $49 package. The Core technologies, combined with Quartz and refined Tiger coding will make iLife 05 the envy of the PC consumer, digital hub world.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

The big update to it will probably include Core Image and Core Video technologies, iMovie and the like will compare to professional grade solutions in a $49 package. The Core technologies, combined with Quartz and refined Tiger coding will make iLife 05 the envy of the PC consumer, digital hub world.

They certianly should. I expect the plumbing of the apps to improve and considering Tiger should have fast Quartz display I think they should be far more fluid. Core Image/Video should be a nice boost even on a 5200fx.

I think Quicktime is really going to be key here. Both iMovie and Garageband are limited by Sound Manager. Audio and Video should be much improved thanks to QT.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

They certianly should. I expect the plumbing of the apps to improve and considering Tiger should have fast Quartz display I think they should be far more fluid. Core Image/Video should be a nice boost even on a 5200fx.

I think Quicktime is really going to be key here. Both iMovie and Garageband are limited by Sound Manager. Audio and Video should be much improved thanks to QT.

GarageBand uses AppleLoops though...and I believe these and any MIDI related data are tied to CoreAudio. However, if you're talking about exports to MP3 or AAC, then, yeah, Sound Manager. QT7 should allow GarageBand songs to be exported in 5.1 or even 7.1...(or can it do that already?)
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

GarageBand uses AppleLoops though...and I believe these and any MIDI related data are tied to CoreAudio. However, if you're talking about exports to MP3 or AAC, then, yeah, Sound Manager. QT7 should allow GarageBand songs to be exported in 5.1 or even 7.1...(or can it do that already?)

Doesn't GB limit you to recording two tracks? I don't know ..the iLife page isn't clear only mentioning a "few" tracks. I bet GB 2.0 can do up to 8 tracks or something like that. I'd like iMovie to support Core Midi too using built in Core Audio synths.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I think Apple should port both iMovie and iDVD to the Windows platform.

However, I think Apple should these two apps as part of an Apple branded external analog-digital bridge/SuperDrive combo enclosure. Both iMovie and iDVD would only work with Apple's enclosure.

Apple would benefit not from software sales, but rather hardware sales of their combo enclosure (just like the current iTunes/iPod model).

Its quite clear that most Wintel customers are not interested in purchasing Macintosh computers but are interested in purchasing an Apple branded hardware solution.

I think this would work.

Comments?
  • Reply 20 of 29
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Here are my thoughts, I went and got them from the other post like this one.

THe next thing from Apple.

We have already agreed on Motion and iMac. But what else.

Think about iLife and the digital hub - it is the key.

The thinking should surround what the industry doesn't do well for Mac's. A good example is routers, iSight and mp3 players. Before these items had shabby support for the Mac. At this point, Apple has these products out in the market and then something unexpected happened - it is now hard to find a better product for the windows OS and none of the OEM's now make these products for Macs. Linksys no longer support macs, there are barely any good web camera's compared to iSight and there is no reason to discuss the iPod's success.

Combining these two thoughts means that Apple has to find something that fits into iLife and/or the digital hub, something that isn't currently done well for Mac users, and is something Apple will have to carry/support for a long time due to 3rd party abandon trends.

iLife thoughts:

iTunes - iPod (Although i think Apple should update the Radio station page. It is dull.)

iMovie - Video Camera's (Apple is very happy with Camcorder support)

iDVD - DVD-R are plentiful, so are industry DVD Players.

iPhoto - All digital Camera's are currently working great with iPhoto

Garage Band - No issues at this time.

So where does this leave apple for iLife products. In a pretty good spot I think. The only thing I would like is for JamPack to be included Garageband. This would help adoption.

Digital Hub thoughts:

After taking a look around my house there are only a few things I can think of. Items like, Stereo, TV, Telephone, etc. They covered the stereo with AExpress so that leaves TV and Telephone. They did a Telephone product in the past called Apple Telecom, so that leaves TV. I would think a clean way to put my iMovies on the TV either through the iPod plug in or through wireless movie-presenter, similar to Tivo or HP Movie presenter would be the best way to go.

The only low hanging fruit would be cell phones, but there are no real compatibility problems because there is not big reason computers and phones need to interact. Plus, according the Jobs a WSJ Digital Conference, they already built on, tried it out, and then scrapped it.