Monitor

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a dual G-5 (2 ghz)...has it died? On switch on, the monitor doesn't come up and there's no chime on start up either. I tried a different monitor, same problem. The fans all start up as usual, and there's some clicking from the hard disk...but thats as far as it goes.

Help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Hi Sammi, have you tried booting in single user mode, ( Apple key and s at start-up) ?. The lack of start-up chime is a bit disturbing, otherwise I'd have suggested a video card problem. Has the machine been moved from place to place recently? What have Apple support said- you did get AppleCare right? I'm sorry i can't be of more use , I feel your pain.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Insert an OS X install disc and hold the option key while booting.

This should allow you to choose which drive to boot off.

If it doesn't do this then try reseting the PRAM.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

(Taken from Apple site without permission)

See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Dobby
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Thanks all for the suggestions! It's Sunday right now and there's not a lot I can do until tomorrow re. Applecare, calls to tech. support etc.

I cannot insert a boot disk because the super-drive door won't open, even on trying to start up with the mouse clicked on. I have tried the PRAM reset but nothing doing. The chime not happening is strange...but I cannot recall if I disabled the sound for some reason the night before the trouble first became apparent, which was this morning when I tried to switch the computer on. It was working perfectly last night!

On switching the G5 on, the fans run quietly for about 3 minutes, then very gradually get louder and faster over a 2 minute period, by which time the computer sounds more like a 747 about to roll down the runway.

I connected a firewire device (LaCie 120 GB external hard drive) and on switching the G5 on, the LaCie spins up normally and sounds as if its mounted OK)...but I cannot tell because the monitor remains completely dead...just the error message "please check signal cable).

It sounds a bit ominous to me.

• Reply 4 of 5
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    A clicking hard disk is a sad day indeed...I have only heard that sound once, and I never was able to fix it. It had to be replaced along with the logic board. I can't offer any help as I don't believe there is any, if nothing else you could try booting up from your external drive and see if you see your internal hard drive there somewhere. Good luck!!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Problem is being fixed .....logic board is faulty. Thanks for the suggestions