The Sony Vaio W an the Imac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From what I have seen on their site I love the idea of this machine.

IMO it is the perfect market for the iMac. Young adult or college kids that can use it as an all-in-one multimedia device. It is like a swiss army knife of computers.

If you could make the Imac do all of these things... have a 250 GB hard drive.. boost the graphics performance... and make it MUCH MUCH sleeker looking and have it be competitively priced you would have a goldmine.

There are no plans to make the Imac capable of watching TV or recording TV programs on it are there? If not, why not? How much would it add to the price?

http://www.vaio.net/models/desktops/...res/style.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    If that source is correct, the GPU is outdated and not acceptable if you plan to do more than email and surf the web, and im not talking about looking through filters or editing movies.

I love apple, but if its true they basically copied that VAIO, Ill be disappointed, usually apple zigs when everyone else zags, which in my opinion makes their computers unique.

If they made an option like on the Powerbook 15 & 17" models to chose between 64 and 128 VRAM, id buy one
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I totally agree. This needs to be refined and in needs a performance boost. But if you could simplify the manufacture and use CHEAP materials like the oprginal Imac... but still have a sexy design you could have the modern model T of personal computers on your hands.

I really really like how this can be used as a TV, stereo or a computer though.

And I like how you can change he physical configuration and it automatically changes what "mode" it is in.

It is literally 3 devices in one. I really think Sony is on to something with this... it is really close to being a special product.. it just lacks a truly killer design.

I love what it does.. I just don't like how it is done exactly... or how it looks when it is doing it.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I've seen these at OfficeMax and I fell in love with them. The keyboard seems a little skimpy or not beefy enough. Too weak. But the concept is very elegant, original and when you close the keyboard the stereo mode turns on and looks beautiful. Conversational piece. If iMacs/eMacs didn't exist, that would be my (desktop) computer of choice.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    The machine looks kinda clunky, like the the early 80's desktop macs..I dont know...
  • Reply 5 of 18
    It is a sweet idea being able to watch tv and go onthe internet on the same machine is awsome. Although the Sony Vaio W series is the ugliest thing ever. I know apple will make it look a lot cooler. The keyboard cannot be attached it is not very usable. It is as someone else said (sorry can't remember who) it is to flimsy. But apple could go to work on this and make it amazing.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

The machine looks kinda clunky, like the the early 80's desktop macs..I dont know...

80's rule. 8)
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaegermann

If that source is correct, the GPU is outdated and not acceptable if you plan to do more than email and surf the web, and im not talking about looking through filters or editing movies.

Are you referring to the rumored iMac specifications?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member

Quote:

Another victim of personal RDF. The major Tier 1 vendors are all shipping this very 5200fx card in $1000+ systems yet Mac bozos are calling it outdated and unacceptable.

The iMac G5 is going to look much better than the Sony. I can't wait for it. Sure I'd hope that the GPU as faster but if it's a 5200fx at least I know that Tiger will support the card fully.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    wooferwoofer Posts: 25member
    I've been and will continue to be a loyal Mac user when the new imac is released. But about a week ago I did purchase a Sony PCV-W600G VAIO AIO computer for work. I am a real estate agent with a very small desk. The Vaio computer takes up very little real estate on my desk top and I love the folding keyboard. I'm getting used to using it since I'm not checked out on "window units". It is considerably faster than my 20th Annv. Mac. And the huge LCD is beautiful. My 20th Annv. Mac and the Vaio are somewhat similar. I hope the new imac blows away the Vaio in esthetics and performance. I'm going to buy an imac for home...I need to replace this tired TAM.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Another victim of personal RDF. The major Tier 1 vendors are all shipping this very 5200fx card in $1000+ systems yet Mac bozos are calling it outdated and unacceptable.

The iMac G5 is going to look much better than the Sony. I can't wait for it. Sure I'd hope that the GPU as faster but if it's a 5200fx at least I know that Tiger will support the card fully.

Yep, but my beef is its not upgradeable, I couldnt care less if they included a 1MB Gfx Card as long as I could switch it out. I love macs, but in terms of upgrading, iMacs are a no-no if you plan to do so in the future. Remember not everyone that buys a mac has unlimited funds and can replace their machines every year or two.

I still would think it'd be nice if they made a middle (between the iMac and PowerMac line) computer, upgradability, but cheaper and not as fast as the PowerMac series, like the Cube.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaegermann

Okay, so you must be referring to the rumored iMac specifications. In which case I have this to say to your comment. What is it that you are expecting to do with the machine that do not expect to be able to do?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ArticulatedArm

There are no plans to make the Imac capable of watching TV or recording TV programs on it are there? If not, why not? How much would it add to the price?

No, because Steve Jobs thinks TV and Computers do not mix. Of course he also said they would not design an iMac the way they are designing the new iMac so hope springs eternal. I wouldn't hold me breath though.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    I've just got back from visiting my local Sony Centre (gawd damnit, i want a 42" LCD tv) and i have to say, the Vaio W isn't *ugly* but it is pretty clunky.

It's not got a bad spec though, and i guess in purpose it's the windows equivalent of the iMac. I'm sure Apple will come up with a much better design for the new iMac though.

Sony and Apple both have very definite, and very different, styles, and i definitely prefer the Apple approach.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

No, because Steve Jobs thinks TV and Computers do not mix.

Why is that I wonder?

People watch movies and video on their computers all the time.

TV is going to end up on computers.. it is just a matter of time.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    http://www.vaio.net/models/desktops/v/index.html

That's also very similar. The Vaio V Series. It's a pizza box type thing with everything behind the screen, comes with a wireless mouse and keyboard too. It's pretty ugly, but it shows that behind-the-screen designs can be made, and indeed already are, working pretty well.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    At the hospital I saw some similar Dell units. The advantage of the Dell is that the pieces are cabled to each other but not physically attached. The Sony, with an unreplaceable keyboard physically attached right below the screen, would drive me totally nuts. (edit) Oh, it looks like you can detach the keyboard.

link to dell unit: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

No, because Steve Jobs thinks TV and Computers do not mix.

I believe that you are paraphrasing and badly (as are those that say that Steve "hates" TV). Steve has simply pointed (correctly, I believe) two things about TV vs. computers:

1. People tend to turn their brains off when they watch TV. He hasn't said that this is necessarily a bad thing...but generally a fact. TV is primarily an entertainment device. Yes...it can be educational...but primarily it is used by most for entertainment. Event when it is used "educationally" it is still resoundingly passive rather than interactive...I am watching...and receiving...and absorbing information from the History Channel (or whatever).

2. The physical usage experience is very different. People are moving towards larger (my TV is larger than Apple's largest display) TV displays...they tend to sit back on the couch with a bowl of popcorn or something. There are, typically a few people (family) watching at once.

Computers tend to be a more interactive, individual, (physically) close-in usage experience.

Yes it is true that there are exceptions to these generalizations. But they do reflect how most people are (and are likely to continue) using these devices. All this means is that each device has as different purpose and should be designed for use in a different way. This is good thinking on Apple's part.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

1. People tend to turn their brains off when they watch TV. He hasn't said that this is necessarily a bad thing...but generally a fact. TV is primarily an entertainment device. Yes...it can be educational...but primarily it is used by most for entertainment. Event when it is used "educationally" it is still resoundingly passive rather than interactive...I am watching...and receiving...and absorbing information from the History Channel (or whatever).

No offense.. but I totally disagree with this. I think these digital recorders are changing the way people watch TV. And when you combine these digital recorders with computers it creates a whole new dynamic. With computers you could also have a much more interactive experience with television. TV stations could have websites that work with the TV content and your digital recorder to make totally interactive experiences.

Quote:

2. The physical usage experience is very different. People are moving towards larger (my TV is larger than Apple's largest display) TV displays...they tend to sit back on the couch with a bowl of popcorn or something. There are, typically a few people (family) watching at once.

I don't think you can ever have too many TVs in your home.. there is always a battle over the TV remote.

Then on the other end of the spectrum you have people that have tiny apartments or bedrooms and way to many electronic devices and a sea of wires.

Quote:

Computers tend to be a more interactive, individual, (physically) close-in usage experience.

I see a point here.. even Imac are not easy to move around because of their size and all the wires. And to use them you have to be in a rigid position. The advertisement they have on the sony site appears to be misleading in that way. You couldn't use it as a PC very easily if it is sitting on your coffee table. And you definitely couldn't use it if it is up on a shelf as in one picture.

I think computers should be on a mobile pedestal that only has one wire traveling to it. That wire would go to a central area to plug in internet connection.. peripherals... and power. Imagine the computer pedestal like a rolling bar stool that could raise and lower to different heights. It could be used as either a desk or if you were on the couch could extend out on an arm and rotate to a user friendly position.

Quote:

Yes it is true that there are exceptions to these generalizations. But they do reflect how most people are (and are likely to continue) using these devices. All this means is that each device has as different purpose and should be designed for use in a different way. This is good thinking on Apple's part. [/B]

I disagree. There are too many individual devices in the home. I love the way the Vaio reduces the clutter. And as I said.. I think the way we watch television is really going to change. Computers and TV will meld into one entity.