Doom3 to run on new iMac?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 247
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jouster

Huh? They always sell like crazy *for a couple months* or so.

The iMac 2 has indeed sold out - because they have stopped making it! Its sales were lousy - 60,000 - last quarter.

They never do that well n the last quarter because a bunch of @ss holes start rumors that new iMacs are coming. Other than that they do fine.
  • Reply 42 of 247
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

They never do that well n the last quarter because a bunch of @ss holes start rumors that new iMacs are coming. Other than that they do fine.

the iMac 2 has NEVER sold well. it's sales volume its entire life has been an embarrassment and a complete failure. it single handedly killed apple's consumer marketing
  • Reply 43 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

the iMac 2 has NEVER sold well. it's sales volume its entire life has been an embarrassment and a complete failure. it single handedly killed apple's consumer marketing

Prove it.
  • Reply 44 of 247
    Quote:

Yeah, you'll be set for a while with a 6800.

Thats what I thought a year ago when I bought my 9800 pro (128mb)... lol by next summer there will be some crazy game coming out that requires a gig of texture memory lol...

man, nothing ever lasts long enough in the computer world...
  • Reply 45 of 247
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Prove it.

o give me a break..

go look up the fucking 10K report and their other financial reports if you really have that much of a problem being wrong. i'm not about to waste time proving the obvious to you.
  • Reply 46 of 247
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Rumor has it that a port for Doom II is in the works and the specs on the new iMac will just be enough to run it.

http://legacy.newdoom.com/

Works fine on a G3 800 iBook (well, fine as far as I am concerned).
  • Reply 47 of 247
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    iMac lcd has been a performance and sales dog hence Apple building a new iMac. sales were poor and so bad that Apple lumped Emac sales with imac and called them imac sales. Apple forgot performance and sales proved it. i love imac but hate slow & old G4 and bottom video fx5200. hard to build a big seller around those dogs. Doom3 will run on the new imac but what video chip are they going to use? thats the big question. we allready know a 1.6 or 1.8 G5 will be in it. another fx5200 and Apple can kiss goodby it being a sales hit.fx5200= cheap garbage.
  • Reply 48 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

o give me a break..

go look up the fucking 10K report and their other financial reports if you really have that much of a problem being wrong. i'm not about to waste time proving the obvious to you.

Hey sorry, but it doesn't seem that obvious to me. iMacs seemed to be selling at an acceptable level IMO taking into consideration that the switcher campaign was drop in the bucket, and most already had their machines. Apple said it was the year of the portable, and their sales of portables reflected the switch from the consumer desktop demographic. I think they got what they expected. Other than less switchers than they had hoped for.
  • Reply 49 of 247
    yeah i bought my first mac not that long ago an 12" ibook g4 800mhz...I have always been a build my own pc guy...apple is a little expesive...

i love my ibook though... i have even looked at buying parts off ebay to build a Dual G4...

you guys think my ibook will handle Doom 3 lol
  • Reply 50 of 247
    Having received my copy of Doom 3 for the PC today, and after waiting years in anticipation, I can IMO say that this game is crap with a capital C.

Too dark, too frustrating, stupid controls, too difficult, lame graphics considering the hype, boring, linear, and no x-factor, I just lost interest several times and had to come back to it a few hours later.

Ive got a dual MP2600 and radeon 9700 pro, 1GB ram - thats about midrange, and in far excess of the minimum requirements. and probably in excess of the new imac. I can just about get a half playable game at 640*400 with medium settings, it doesn't look good, Id guess about 15-25 FPS. And I strictly keep my system lean and tidy.

OTOH, Farcry, by far a better game, 1280x1024, high/very high settings - absolutely beautiful BTW, with Full screen antialaising and filtering, definately a league ahead of Doom3. I lost count of the times I spent playing this till 4am. Completed it 3 times.

Doom 3 is a tech demo for people with Althon 64's 3500+ and Nvidia GF6800 Ultra's. At full setting the graphics might be the best in class, I have seen glimpses of genius, Expecting it to run on a 1.6GHZ iMac with Ultra 5200 graphics is a joke. Expect to be very disappointed. Even then, the gameplay might be pretty lame on such a system.

Waiting for half life 2, cant be any worse!
  • Reply 51 of 247
    Strange, Doom 3 runs fine on my Athlon 2600+, 512MB RAM, 9800 non-pro. 30-45 fps constant on High settings and 1280x1024. Looks wonderful, though the game is a bit too dark.
  • Reply 52 of 247
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    How can that be? I have a 3200 Athlon XP Radoen 9800 pro, 1.5GB DDR333, and it runs on 1024x768 high settings and can get a little choppy sometimes. I get a weird snowy effect, anyone got an idea of what it's caused by? Got the latest drivers from ATi...

It is a dissapointment, not scary, pretty boring and the constant darkness isn't great, in fact it has started to piss me off, you don't need darkness to make a game scary... The graphics are good but the metal actually looks plastic in a lot of places, the 2d graphics are pretty neat though, hopefully Half Life 2 will be a great gaming experience, not a tech demo like this is...
  • Reply 53 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaoCao

Strange, Doom 3 runs fine on my Athlon 2600+, 512MB RAM, 9800 non-pro. 30-45 fps constant on High settings and 1280x1024. Looks wonderful, though the game is a bit too dark.

How big is your nose today?

{EDIT} Searched google 'make doom3 run faster' found config edits at "the enquirer". Quite why ID decided to ship a game in the state its in is quite questionable. The edits make the game run much faster and look better, Im now getting framerates and resolution similar to CaoCao.

Sure though it dropped when I found 'William whats-his-names PDA' to enter AlphaLabs. Fuck-me this game is EVIL!
  • Reply 54 of 247
    well I decided to have a doom 3 marathon last night now I have it running quite well.

After about level 5, it starts to get interesting, I started to feel like there was an actual game worth playing, something to do and something to achieve. The next few levels were quite exciting. The graphics, (im now on 1280x1024 - high with all options enabled except AA and v-sync) are probably the best Ive yet seen, certainly elements of the graphics such as the spawn of demons, heat haze, the growing bloody slime, console interactions and the lighting are exceptional, but the general fascia of the building can be a bit lame at times. It is scary, several places, [dead] things just rise up and launch themselves at you, combined with a truly evil soundtrack. Yes these elements of the game are good and unsurpassed.

But by about level 10, I was starting to get bored, the game consists of nothing more than dimly lit tight corridors. Heck one level, passing through Engineering is completly black, the illumination comes only from your guides lantern, or your torch, once he dies. You are given objectives to accomplish, but no help on how, and when you do reach the location, you normally find a 'problem' that prevents you do it, with a new task that requires you to backtrack across the whole level, only to backtrack again to solve the original problem. The corridors all look the same, so remembering where you saw something of value is not really possible, so it degenerates into random searching of a whole level (and they're quite large) to find something or some place.

The enemies are really quite stupid, and once you have a technique for dealing with a type, it works every time. Take the metal skeleton things firing dual rockets, they just stand still firing periodically at you, no problem at all. Ive encountered maybe 10 different enemies so far, all are dumb. Only the flying heads or cherubs pose a slight problem, if you dont manage to deal with them quickly.

So by the time I reached DeltaLabs, about level 11-12, Im so fed up with dark corridors, dumb enemies, false tasks, etc, that I decide to do something I've never done with a game Ive owned 2 days. The GOD mode. Yes Im this bored. I just wanna see the end now, lets get there as quickly as possible.

But there is still no progress. On Delta-lab level 2, Im told to search for a plasma inducer, an hour later, I have no such thing, I cant even find the room it's supposed to be in, but then Im given a new task, override the security system for a certain door, which might lead to the inducer, an hour later, I cant find the security system to override, I'd swear Ive been round every inch of this whole map 5 times now, searched every corner with my flashlight, I havn't even killed a baddie for hours - a sure sign im not going in the right direction. read every PDA, but nothing. I even search the net for the answer, but found nothing.

This sucks.

[UPDATE] Mind you, this all pales into insignificance once you reach the "HELL" level. That is worth the asking price alone!
  • Reply 55 of 247
    Another update!

I've now finished doom3, I know Its lame to use God mode, but well, Im not really a gamer!. From the hell level to the end (mostly), this game just blows away anything else ever.

I take back all previous posts, I just wonder why iD had 10 levels of crap really.
  • Reply 56 of 247
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
  • Reply 57 of 247
    dude1dude1 Posts: 13member
    Yeah... I loved the final levels of D3....

Great stuff...the beginning was ok but not awe inspiring.
  • Reply 58 of 247
    dude1dude1 Posts: 13member
    Quake 3 on the IMAC pwns
  • Reply 59 of 247
    Quakecon 2004 id Software Keynote Coverage

link to John Carmacks keynote thing at quake-con 2004

Quote:

A Mac "gamer" asked about the port to OS X. Apparently there is no current time for the release of a port. The game runs, but there is a lot of optimization, and currently they feel the Mac platform can not yet offer the same experience as the PC. Activision will not publish the Mac version of Doom 3. There is no publisher set currently.

• Reply 60 of 247
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Possible translation: it would run on current Apple hardware, but it would suck, except on G5s and the most recent PowerBooks?

Possible inference: waiting until the iMac G5 is released?