Grillin'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    i grilled pizza yesterday.....i shit you not.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

How long did it take to cook? I've considered doing something similar.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

I love you.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I love you.

aw shucks

well time-wise it depends. i always grill pizza when i have a lot of guests and the oven won't do, so i've always done a large amount. yesterday i had to feed 20 people, well 12 people, 6 one year olds, a 5 year old and a four year old.

so i made 18 pizzas. that took an hour. but prep was about 6 hours!

preparation is essential since you top the pizzas while they are on the grill.

have all your stuff laid out nice and neat, the french call it your "mise en place" (out of respect for julia child will i not say something mean about french cooks)

when they start cooking you have to put the stuff on fast. no going into the fridge to get cheese, cause the dough will burn. you got have everything ready to go.

first brush olive oil on your flattened out dough, keep in mind the size of your grill when making your crusts. throw the dough on the rack, it may take a couple of tries til you get one right, it's kinda like pancakes that way. don't throw away the bad ones, use them to munch on while your working.

also have something cold to drink on hand, it's hot work.

oil the other side then flip (use tongs, tongs are essential) after you flip lay on your sauce and cheese and stuff, and move to a less hot part of the grill.

i have two grills, one for doing the dough and one has three racks, so i use that one for the baking process. just move them up a rack to let the toppings cook. then take out and serve as they become done.

it really works well with veggies, last night i did many with artichokes (sauteed first, remember pizza cook quicker on a grill so any bulky veggies aren't going to cook through so precook things like artichokes or broccoli)

then "buona apatite"!
  • Reply 25 of 30
    All these tips are great.

mid/scott: Looks like I'll be going with the Char-griller smokin pro.

Amorph: I too like cooking/eating meat with no seasoning except a bit of salt and/or pepper.

Crazy: I forwarded the green slime thing to my friend, co-worker, and next door neighboor (1 guy). He loves marinades and pastes of all sorts. I don't mind 'em, but being the strsight-up mest kinda guy that I am, I never take the time to do marinades/ pastes the right way. (except for beer can chicken, in which case I fire up the injector.)
  • Reply 26 of 30
    http://www.hollandgrill.com

Very expensive, but great grills. Next to impossible to screw up a meal - even for a grill amature like myself!
  • Reply 27 of 30
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ubertweek

http://www.hollandgrill.com

Very expensive, but great grills. Next to impossible to screw up a meal - even for a grill amature like myself!

Really nice, yes, but we do all of our serious grillin' over hardwood lump charcoal. No gas.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Here in Texas we cook alot on wood. Slow cooked brisket and ribs and chicken and sausage.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Webber is the only way to go. I cook everything on it when I've got the time.

If you think there's too much lighter fluid taste use an electric starter.

Most important use Kingsford mesquite charcoal and wood chips!!!!

Soak the chips for about 1/2 hour in water and spread over the coals just before cooking. Everything will taste great!
  • Reply 30 of 30
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

Webber is the only way to go. I cook everything on it when I've got the time.

If you think there's too much lighter fluid taste use an electric starter.

Most important use Kingsford mesquite charcoal and wood chips!!!!

Soak the chips for about 1/2 hour in water and spread over the coals just before cooking. Everything will taste great!

Yes on everything except the grill. And the fluid. And the electric starter. And the soaking of coals (use larger pieces and cook indirectly).

I agree with the choice of charcoal.