Phil Schiller to deliver Apple Expo keynote address

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple VP Phil Schiller will assume the role of CEO, Steve Jobs, when he kick off this year's Apple Expo with a keynote address, Macworld UK is reporting.

With Jobs out of the office until next month, Schiller will deliver the opening keynote address at Apple Expo 2004 in Paris on Tuesday, August 31. The keynote will take place at the Palais des Congrès at 10 am CET and is highly anticipated to mark the debut of Apple's new iMac G5 iMac.

Jobs is currently on leave to recover from surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from his pancreas. And while Jobs is expected to make a full recovery, he is not expected to return to work at Apple until September.

According to AppleInsider sources, the new iMac G5 will sport all-in-one cinema display-like enclosure, with the logic-board integrated behind its LCD screen and optical disc drives vertically mounted on the side. The desktops are also said to sport single Power PC G5 processors at speeds below 2GHz, with confirmed sightings of 1.6 GHz G5 iMacs dating back to March.

Apple had originally intended to debut its the new iMac at its World Wide Developer Conference in June, but miscalculated plans for the intro. Although the company cited a lack of G5 processors from IBM as the source of the blunder, extremely reliable sources claim that a heat-related issue with the new iMac G5 enclosure was also partly to blame.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i got money says steve ichat's in...
  • Reply 2 of 39
    niconico Posts: 50member
    i got money says steve will be there...in person!

cya

Nico
  • Reply 3 of 39
    In person? No way. He just underwent invasive and delicate surgery. It takes months to recover. Under no circumstances would he be allowed to fly unless his doctor was insane. As stated, he'll be there via iChat and will probably introduce the new iMac and then Phil will bring one on stage - they'll be plenty to play around with on the showroom floor, of course. "One More Thing?" A tablet? Forget it. Same rumors preceded last years show. Filing a patent design is just that, filing a design. If something comes of it, and it won't be a "standard" tablet as we know it, it won't happen till next year. 2 weeks!
  • Reply 4 of 39
    At the last conference called Apple confirmed that G5 yields were the prime reason for the delay. When asked about the heat-releated issues, they responded that they were minimal or words to that effect. In other words, yes an issue as many other components are on a new product at times, but not critical one and not cause for the delay.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Cancer of Pancreas is bad news. I expect it was taken at very early stage ...

Normally, but it's not my field of expertise, the surgery consist in the removing of the whole pancreas and the duodenum (if the tumor is in the head, for the tail of the pancreas, it's much simplier).

It's not a simple procedure, and the % of cure is not 100 % . Generally there is chemotherapy after the surgical procedure. I will not bet for an SJ appearance.

One of my beloved nurse died of this, some years ago. An another one, seems to be in very good shape, and I hope it will continue this way. Let's hope, that SJ has a good case, and will recover well. My best wishes of cure are with him. Frankly I don't know what will be Apple without Jobs.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    SJ's cancer was a very rare kind. It is not the more common type which results in only about 5 years survival. In the announcement it said all the tumor was removed and he expected a complete recovery. Follow up comments by doctors familiar with the kind of cancer he had concur. Not nearly as fatal and I don't believe chemotherapy is part of the treatment (I could be wrong on this though). In any event he's probably still very weak and the "September" return is optimistic. Spending a few hours a day at the office is probably all he'll manage by the end of the month. Thinking positive helps his recovery of course.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Should we take up a collection and buy Phil a black polo shirt and blue jeans?
  • Reply 8 of 39
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    There is no way in hell I would ever want to "assume the role of CEO" while that very same CEO is sitting and watching me in realtime. And especially not for something that CEO is universally praised and known for.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

In any event he's probably still very weak and the "September" return is optimistic.

I'd wager the opposite: I would think Steve is having to try very hard *NOT* to return to work sooner and forcing himself to take vacation.

As far as the keynote is concerned, Phil Schiller will probably do a very good job, but barring a surprise entrance of Jobs himself, they might want to "Think Different" and get a spokesman. My vote is for Jay London from "Last Comic Standing"
  • Reply 10 of 39
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

I'd wager the opposite: I would think Steve is having to try very hard *NOT* to return to work sooner and forcing himself to take vacation.

As far as the keynote is concerned, Phil Schiller will probably do a very good job, but barring a surprise entrance of Jobs himself, they might want to "Think Different" and get a spokesman. My vote is for Jay London from "Last Comic Standing"

Spokesmen blow. They're presentations always seem forced, and you always wonder how much they had to be bribed to show up (like the Rolling Stones just happened to be in the neighborhood and stopped by to see their good pal Bill Gates right when they were showing off XP or whatever). Steve's a good spokesperson because he believes what he's saying with a passion. And that gets everyone else caught up in it. (Ballmer's the same way, but his sweat counter-acts whatever RDF he has, and as such doesn't have the same presence.

(Of course, I'm proud to say I have no idea who Jay London is or whether your being sarcastic with you 'lol'. No stupid-assed so-called "reality TV" for me (yes, its so 'realistic' watching people 'surviving' in Australia - that happens ALL the time, or people needing to eat bugs to win money, or 12 people being holed up in a house with no outside communication for 6 weeks or whatever - yeah, talk about REAL, baby!).,
  • Reply 11 of 39
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

I'd vote for Christopher Walken to do the Keynote.

"I've had this iMac prototype in my ass for over a year and now I am here to present it to you"
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

SJ's cancer was a very rare kind. It is not the more common type which results in only about 5 years survival. In the announcement it said all the tumor was removed and he expected a complete recovery. Follow up comments by doctors familiar with the kind of cancer he had concur. Not nearly as fatal and I don't believe chemotherapy is part of the treatment (I could be wrong on this though). In any event he's probably still very weak and the "September" return is optimistic. Spending a few hours a day at the office is probably all he'll manage by the end of the month. Thinking positive helps his recovery of course.

Good news, (perhaps it's a neuro-endocrin cancer, who cures well).
  • Reply 13 of 39
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Dear Phil,

Please remember to turn off your micorphone when you walk off stage. Remember, children are watching at home.

Love,

Buon
  • Reply 14 of 39
    So will his keynote also be called a "PhilNote"?

Also, to the poster who wondered what Apple would be like without Steve Jobs... think John Scully, or Michael Spindler, those were some funky years...

-Gator
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powelligator

Also, to the poster who wondered what Apple would be like without Steve Jobs... think John Scully, or Michael Spindler, those were some funky years...

-Gator

That's what I fear
  • Reply 16 of 39
    does anyone else hope that the optical drive isn't mounted so that it ejects out the side of the computer? I know I've always got my computers and everything crammed up against stuff, and that would cause a problem if you had to allow more space for you computer to the side in order to use the CD drive. I think out the top would be much better, and cooler. like the Cube.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xlsupreme

does anyone else hope that the optical drive isn't mounted so that it ejects out the side of the computer? I know I've always got my computers and everything crammed up against stuff, and that would cause a problem if you had to allow more space for you computer to the side in order to use the CD drive. I think out the top would be much better, and cooler. like the Cube.

Welcome to AppleInsider.

As the owner of a Cube, I have to say that I'd prefer a side-eject CD. I've had to fish too many CDs out of my computer with knife blades and other ad hoc tools to want Apple to try that again. When it works, it's really cool. But if you have, say, a CD with a paper label? Then you're watching the drive strain and groan until you manage to snag the CD and pull it out yourself, and that tends to shatter the Cube's mystique for anyone unfortunate enough to watch you doing it.

Besides, a lot of computer desks have overhead shelves and cabinets, and a CD that ejected above a monitor might wind up bumping into a lot of those shelves. Especially with the 20" model.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Maybe Woz will help Phil!

Phil can do a good job as he has keynoted other shows before. SJ has become predictable and the keynotes are always 90% a recap of what came out afew months before. Anyway the message is more important than the deliverer of same.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    I'd vote for Christopher Walken to do the Keynote.

"I've had this iMac prototype in my ass for over a year and now I am here to present it to you"

Yeah, I second the choice for Christopher Walken. I can see it now:

"I've got a feva, and the only cure...is more iMacs."
  • Reply 20 of 39
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powelligator

-Gator

No, no, no...think Amelio!

Gil! Gil! Gil!