Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone heard of this project?

http://www.mono-project.com/using/cocoa-sharp.html

Thought it was interesting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I think it's a good idea as long as it works right. Taking .net apps and bringing them easily to OSX can't hurt in the slightest.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Actually, the real potential of this project (which is apparently receiving support from Apple) is to help OS X be the one-stop develop-for-any-platform platform. If C# applications are developed on Windows, the odds are they'll only ever be deployed on Windows, regardless of their theoretical portability (and if they actually are ported, they'll look and feel like Windows apps). If they're developed on OS X, they'll be deployed on Windows and OS X, and possibly Linux.

That's the real genius of Apple's current developer strategy. They're doing what MS did — turning their platform into a developer paradise — except that they're doing it by embracing all sorts of diverse platforms and technologies rather than building their own little sandbox and making everyone play in it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

That's the real genius of Apple's current developer strategy. They're doing what MS did — turning their platform into a developer paradise — except that they're doing it by embracing all sorts of diverse platforms and technologies rather than building their own little sandbox and making everyone play in it.

But they aren't charging for the tools
  • Reply 4 of 5
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Actually, the real potential of this project (which is apparently receiving support from Apple) is to help OS X be the one-stop develop-for-any-platform platform. If C# applications are developed on Windows, the odds are they'll only ever be deployed on Windows, regardless of their theoretical portability (and if they actually are ported, they'll look and feel like Windows apps). If they're developed on OS X, they'll be deployed on Windows and OS X, and possibly Linux.

I have been wondering about this, and I'm curious as to what you can accually program in it. Can you create full blown GUI applications that will run on both Mac and Win ? I know C# are compiled into bytocode first, and are then interpreted into machine code. Does this mean that a cocoa# app will compile on a mac and run on a Win machine, or is a recompile still needed.

I have been looking into Rotor, the C# sscli for Mac, but I werent able to compile the source, so I couldn't see what you could program with it.

Since cocoa# uses the cocoa API, porting to windows would be changing all the api calls to the win32 api though.

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Cocoa# won't help you write cross platform apps. It's the equivalent of JavaCocoa but using C#/Mono instead of Java, allowing you to wrap cross-platform libraries in a native GUI.

C#/Mono on the other hand (like Java) will allow you to write cross-platform apps. MSFT had some .Net code for the Mac but I'd personally stick with the Mono stuff. They have .dmg downloads:

http://www.mono-project.com