Ufs2

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an external USB hard drive that I would like to share between my powerbook and my desktop running FreeBSD 5.x. So, I formatted the hard drive to use UFS2. While the drive show up fine in FreeBSD, OS X tells me that, "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click Ignore."

Although OS X can read UFS partitions, can it read UFS2?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    UFS2 is a new format. I would revert to UFS1 or search for UFS2 driver for OS-X.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

UFS2 is a new format. I would revert to UFS1 or search for UFS2 driver for OS-X.

I reformatted the hard drive using ufs1 in FreeBSD (newfs -U -O1 /dev/da0s1d). However, OS X will still not recognize it. I've checked my drive in both FreeBSD and Linux; both recognize the drive just fine.

Why won't OS X recognize the drive?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Are you using 10.3.3?

Quote:

Mac OS X 10.3.3: USB device, FireWire device, RAID card or SCSI card doesn't work after updating to 10.3.3

If a USB or FireWire device, RAID PCI card, or SCSI PCI card does not work after installing the 10.3.3 Update (on Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server), then you can resolve the issue by updating to 10.3.4.

Symptoms you might see on an affected system include:

* External or internal SCSI devices that are not recognized.

* USB or FireWire disks (or devices with file systems) do not mount.

* If the startup volume is on a SCSI drive, the computer may stop responding ("hang") during startup.

* Apple System Profiler may recognize some devices that are not recognized elsewhere in the system.

If the affected computer can start up, update to Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server 10.3.4.

If the the computer won't start up, try using Safe Mode to update to 10.3.4. If it still won't start, these are some tips you can follow.

2. If you have the most recent version, try disk utility or try it from the terminal window.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Are you using 10.3.3?

2. If you have the most recent version, try disk utility or try it from the terminal window.

It turns out that I'm having a completely different problem. There are several different types of UFS file systems. When I format using Disk Utility, I receive the format a8 (168 ). When I format in FreeBSD, I use the format a5 (165). To further complicate things, I can generate other types of UFS partitions in either OpenBSD or NetBSD and none of them work by default in OS X. A summary of file system types can be found at:

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partition...n_types-1.html

But, the short answer is, they're all different and there's no easy way to make everything compatible without using some neutered file system like vfat.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Might be easier to find an HFS+ driver for FreeBSD.