Are there more A**holes in movie theaters lately?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I cannot remember the last time I've been to a movie where I haven't been

disturbed by crying babies, irritating teens, or adults that are talking to the

screen or friends during a movie. And it seems to be getting worse!

Examples:

I took a friend of mine to see a matinee of The Ring when it was in theaters.

I had already seen it & knew my friend would dig it because he's a huge

horror fan. There was only six people in the theater, us included. Two teen

girls to our left & a couple in front. What drove me nuts is one of the teens

was telling her friend what was going to happen because she had seen it

already as well. And I'm not talking about whispering either! I had enough

when she spilled the beans about what was in the closet.

A more recent example is when I saw a 10pm showing of Collateral. (Great

movie by the way.) There was an entire family to the right of me, (1 infant,

2 small kids between 5 & 8 years old, the married couple & a friend who for

some reason was sitting 2 rows back.) Who the F**k would take little kids

to a 10pm show of Collateral!! What was worse was the parents ignoring

the 20 ft radius of people that repeatedly told them take their kids out. And

the topper was whenever Jamie Fox did something funny or cool, the father

would talk to his friend about it.

First, you should not be able to bring a little kid to anything except G-rated

flicks & definately not any nightime PG & up movie, even if their parent is

present.

Second, they shouldn't be allowed a warning to be quiet. If someone

complains to theater personnel, they should be tossed from the theater &

told to make it a F**king blockbuster night!

I've got 5 & 9 year old nieces that have more common courtesy in a movie

theater than those A-holes!

Do you have any horror stories like these?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It vary from place to place. I have bad experience of Disney movies, in a theater room full of kids crying and shouting like frenzy.

I have a good experience, last week, when I see Garlfield, the movie in a theater in Tignes (one of the biggest ski resort of France) : people where quiet and respectful : the more disturbing kids where mine, but I suceed to have them under control ...
  • Reply 2 of 41
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    There sure are more assholes in theaters in recent years. These days, I only go to the theater if it's not a blockbuster and if I know not many people will be there. Hell, when I saw the Alien re-release I had to yell all to a group all the way at the back to STFU.

Don't worry. You aren't the only one noticing it. I've heard and seen it mentioned quite a few times.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Watching Lord of the Rings RoTK and some asshat in front of us takes two cell phone calls in the theatre. After the first one (three rings before he picks up) most of the row next to him while he sits and talks gets up and leaves. I'm ready to throw snacks at him and he finally hangs up.

When the next call comes in, insults fly from all over the theatre and captain clueless takes the call again and talks all the way out into the lobby.

His kid, next to him, is trying to disappear under the seat due to embarrassment.

Hope he asks dad what all those angry words meant the whole way home.

Some days, I wish I had a phaser on heavy stun. Or a tranquilizer gun. Or a brick.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    At The Village yesterday a baby started crying. Who the hell brings babies to theaters much less to suspense movies?

If you are reading this and are offended because you bring babies to theaters, stop. It is a baby and other people paid money to be there. You get to have the magical wonder of a newborn child and we get to have movies in the theater, that is the deal.

And you don't bring babies to kids' movies either, because they are not kids, they are babies. There are no baby movies. Your babies should not be in that area, it's bad for their mental development. Put them in a calm room with bold primary colors on the walls with some nice classical music playing.

In short, if you are a parent with a baby in the theater, it is bad for your baby and the others in the theather so you suck. Yes, even you.

Kids belong in kids' movies. If I go to seen Finding Nemo and some kids are babbling that is the deal. I am fine with that. Kids come to cartoons and they don't have long attention spans, I am not going to freak out expecting a 5-year-old to act like a 20-year-old.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    ... it's annoying if the movies such as Shrek 2 are full of kids who are not behaving like they should in a movie theatre.

and it is 10 times worse when you see any movie and the ADULTS are behaving like you would expect kids to behave ...
  • Reply 6 of 41
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

... it's annoying if the movies such as Shrek 2 are full of kids who are not behaving like they should in a movie theatre.

and it is 10 times worse when you see any movie and the ADULTS are behaving like you would expect kids to behave ...

I took my niece to see a matinee of shrek 2 awhile back. There was one kid

there that was psycho! He was literally playing hide & seek from his parents.

I made a stink about it when I noticed that friggin kid was crawling under my

legs to pass me & keep hidden from his parents. Even my nine year old niece

gave me this look like this kid needs some serious medication.

Note to moderator, I accidently posted this thread twice & it won't let me

delete the duplicate.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

There sure are more assholes in theaters in recent years.

I wonder if this is because more and more people are getting used to having a theater-like experience at home, with DVDs and big screen TVs and surround sound, and they forget to switch from living-room theater mode to public theater hey-I'd-be-an-asshole-if-I-act-like-I'm-in-my-own-living-room mode.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Watching Lord of the Rings RoTK and some asshat in front of us takes two cell phone calls in the theatre. After the first one (three rings before he picks up) most of the row next to him while he sits and talks gets up and leaves. I'm ready to throw snacks at him and he finally hangs up.

When the next call comes in, insults fly from all over the theatre and captain clueless takes the call again and talks all the way out into the lobby.

His kid, next to him, is trying to disappear under the seat due to embarrassment.

Hope he asks dad what all those angry words meant the whole way home.

Some days, I wish I had a phaser on heavy stun. Or a tranquilizer gun. Or a brick.

When I saw ROTK a kid next to me kept pointing out stuff that was cut out

from the book. I'm thinking, "who the F**k are you & why are you talking

to me!?!"

The other thing that pissed me off was this huge teenage girl that literally

ate during the entire movie! (Opening bags of chips, nachos, popcorn, etc!)
  • Reply 9 of 41
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

When I saw ROTK a kid next to me kept pointing out stuff that was cut out

from the book. I'm thinking, "who the F**k are you & why are you talking

to me!?!"

HA!
  • Reply 10 of 41
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    This is definitley a worldwide problem Seems everytime I go to the cinema (which isn't that often, just for the 'big' movies, ahh...home theater I love you) there's a bunch of teenage a**holes having a conversation and kicking the back of my seat .. little sh1ts!

Management at the theater don't give a damn either as they're never to be found around the place.

Can't beat a 52 inch rear projection Tv and the comfort of your own armchair
  • Reply 11 of 41
    I'm in Mexico, so foreign movies come with subtitles. I've seen it too. People whistling when the subtitles are placed on Cameron Diaz's boobs, cell phones ringing, people laughing out loud, etc.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Well things should get a little better as I've stopped going to the theater recently.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I don't go to the theater much any more. When I do it's early in the day and after the attendance has dropped off.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I don't go to the theater much any more. When I do it's early in the day and after the attendance has dropped off.

Shit Scott, between you and me the theaters should be a joy!
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Or maybe remotely operated "Cones of Silence" from the old Get Smart TV series.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I'd get in a Cone of Silence with 99

Disclaimer: as she was, not now - she could be wrinkly crumpet now!
  • Reply 17 of 41
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I think all theaters should offer high-quality surround-sound headphones to all customers that request them.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I think all theaters should offer high-quality surround-sound headphones to all customers that request them.

That wont stop the jerk-offs from distracting you. We are not paying money for a good movie going experience to listen to headphones. I vote for guards with whips, canes and rubber bullets.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Sometimes I wish I could have head phones. Then most of the bullshit would get screened out and I could set the volume where I wanted it.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Electrify all the seats and hand out buttons like that Simpsons episode.