Adobe Creative Suite question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My friend is a teacher & he said I could purchase the student version of the

Adobe Creative Suite CS through him. (The student price is like $350 I think

for the full version.)

My question is if I can buy a standard upgrade in the future when the next

version comes out or will I be stuck with this student version?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

for the full version.)

2: IF you are not a student, then it is illegal (violation of contract, most likely not as stiff a penalty as out right piracy), but if they don't go after home users who download it free, surely they will not hunt down a home user who acctualy paid something for it.

2:If you plan to make so much as a dime, forget it, your a** would be grass if someone discovered the student copy was being used for profit, that even applies for real students.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

2: IF you are not a student, then it is illegal (violation of contract, most likely not as stiff a penalty as out right piracy), but if they don't go after home users who download it free, surely they will not hunt down a home user who acctualy paid something for it.

2:If you plan to make so much as a dime, forget it, your a** would be grass if someone discovered the student copy was being used for profit, that even applies for real students.

If that's the case, then what do students do after they have graduated? Do

they have to go buy the full version?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

If that's the case, then what do students do after they have graduated? Do

they have to go buy the full version?

If you're a freelancer, you buy the full version, write it off as a business expense, and if you're any good you make up the difference in price in fairly short order.

If you work for a shop, they have a site license and you don't pay a dime.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

for the full version.)

To answer your question, the serial number should work in future upgrades. My serial number for Photoshop 5 worked for Photoshop 7 (I skipped 6 and 6.5) and it even worked for my Adobe CS upgrade when I got it a few months ago.

When I considered purchasing Photoshop 7 a year or so ago, I called Adobe to ask if my Photoshop 5 serial number would work. The guy said almost any previous serial number will work with the upgrade.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

To answer your question, the serial number should work in future upgrades. My serial number for Photoshop 5 worked for Photoshop 7 (I skipped 6 and 6.5) and it even worked for my Adobe CS upgrade when I got it a few months ago.

When I considered purchasing Photoshop 7 a year or so ago, I called Adobe to ask if my Photoshop 5 serial number would work. The guy said almost any previous serial number will work with the upgrade.

Have you personally tried to upgrade to the full version from the educational version yourself, or are you speculating? I am just curious...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

Have you personally tried to upgrade to the full version from the educational version yourself, or are you speculating? I am just curious...

No, I actually called Adobe, gave them my Educational Serial Number and asked if I bought the Upgrade at a store here in town, would it work. The guy said yes, I bought the upgrade and it worked.

The serial number have worked for me for:

Illustrator 7 -> 8

Illustrator 8 -> 10

Photoshop 5 -> 7

Photoshop 5 -> Adobe Creative Suite
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Adobe educational products can be upgraded to full versions.