how much bandwidth does ichat need?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My GF just bought an ibook for her father. He lives in Austria and we are trying to figure out the best broadband connection for him to get for iChat. The problem is that they do not offer unlimited data in austria.

How much uploading/downloading does iChat require? Is 1 gig per month acceptable for him? Ideally he would use iChat 3 hours a day (high estimate).

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    It probably uses next to nothing.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by willcurrie

How much uploading/downloading does iChat require? Is 1 gig per month acceptable for him? Ideally he would use iChat 3 hours a day (high estimate).

Thanks for your help!

What do you mean by 1 gig? 1000 Kbps? Apple used to (and probably still does) have a chart of iChat/iSight quality at certain broadband/processor combinations on its web site.

www.apple.com/ichat has the graphic...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    A gig a month should suffice if you use it for an hour or so a day. Make sure that you set the bandwith settings in iChat to 100Kbps.

• Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

A gig a month should suffice if you use it for an hour or so a day. Make sure that you set the bandwith settings in iChat to 100Kbps.

Thanks so much guys. I know its been a while, but I was moving
  • Reply 5 of 6
    1GB will certainly not be enough. I use ichat (100 kbps limit) about two to three hours a day, and I need over 2GB per month.

btw, with a faster upload its a lot more fun. I've found that a 200kbps limit is OK (but it will work with only 100). You just shouldn't send mails or surf the web while talking..
  • Reply 6 of 6
    If we are talking about text chat.. then effectively nothing. If we are talking voice, then it will slowly eat that up (depending on how much you chat). If we are talking video, then it will chew through bandwidth.