Machine for switchers...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's current campaign is designed to get people from using Microsoft os's to using the MacOS. The target customer base have no prior mac software in their possesion. What they would have is only Windows software.

Assuming Apple decides to concentrate only on the Windows user base, they could easily release a machine that is based on any Intel/AMD processor that runs OSX (assuming Marklar is true)

The switchers could run an OSX based machine and always dual boot into Windows if they have any critical software that is to be used. This is again based on the assumption that the Marklar version would have all the Iapps running and atleast an Appleworks version for Marklar. This should take care of the average Windows user who would need an office type of package + internet apps + all the Iapps.

Apple would then have a "competitive machine" in processor speed etc. to be able to sell.

The existing PPC user base would have to wait for the 970 processor or whatever the G5 is.

I have no idea about the complexities of recompiling for the different processor sets and whether this is practical. Perhaps Moki can comment.

If this is possible, Apple would have another "Option" to sell to the PC user base.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Well, it's time for people to understand : if apple releases X for x86, this is the end of the road.

Remember "Be" ?

Why do you want people to dual boot to os X ? They have everything under XP. XP *IS* nice, and os X is *promising*. We only need better hardware (and less $$$), and no-beta-slow software (stupid live-window resizing, mail, iphoto, ical, ... ???)

I'll finish by adding that apple market share in europe is slowly going down to zero month after month.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by Niconono:

<strong>I'll finish by adding that apple market share in europe is slowly going down to zero month after month. </strong><hr></blockquote>

yah, macs are expensive here. too bad.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    I won't insert my comments about the x86 version being a bad move for apple and will focus on the issue that hasn't been beaten to death.

If you want customers to switch, offering them dual boot is a bad idea. It is a novelty that is seldom the best solution. I think a lot of people have bitched about the 2 worlds they have to live in when they boot between OS9 and X, let alone if they had completely different worlds like XP and X. Bottom line, this idea is BAD BAD BAD.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i think the similar names of windows XP and OS X alone is enough to confuse most consumers, never mind the issue of dual-booting
  • Reply 5 of 12
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I think many switchers out there are attracted by the beautiful hardware and not OS X

I am one of them

And I am glad I switch
  • Reply 6 of 12
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    [quote]Originally posted by stunned:

<strong>I think many switchers out there are attracted by the beautiful hardware and not OS X

I am one of them

And I am glad I switch </strong><hr></blockquote>

My experience is the opposite. All the PC switchers I know did it for the OS. Afterall, you can built an elegant case yourself but you can't run OSX on x86.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by klinux:

<strong>

My experience is the opposite. All the PC switchers I know did it for the OS. Afterall, you can built an elegant case yourself but you can't run OSX on x86.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd be surprised if any significant majority switched for the same reason, but it's probably safe to say that the more power-hungry desktop crowd would have switched for the OS, while others switched for the simplicity of the iMac, or for one of the notebooks.

In fact, I'd say the notebooks are the killer switcher machines. For one thing, unlike klinux's friends, you'll have no luck building your own TiBook.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    jdbonjdbon Posts: 109member
    There is an interesting article pver at osnews concerning OS/2, I think the parallels between OS/2, and the prospect of x86 OS X is a sign for caution. Basically, the article argued that users will only use the software pre-installed on their systems, people are not going to actively install an alternate OS, they just don't care. Due to Micro$oft$ monopoly, OS X will not get equal exposure. PCs will continue to bbot Windows, and only a few geeks would buy an off the shelf x86 version of OS X. The only way OS X on intel would work, is if Apple became a software only company (maybe digital hub devices as well), and liscensed its OS to the big players ell,HP,Sony,Gateway,IBM etc. It would have to be the only OS, the Os which boots by default when the user first turns it on.

Is this going to happen? Probably not.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by muah:

<strong>I won't insert my comments about the x86 version being a bad move for apple and will focus on the issue that hasn't been beaten to death.

If you want customers to switch, offering them dual boot is a bad idea. It is a novelty that is seldom the best solution. I think a lot of people have bitched about the 2 worlds they have to live in when they boot between OS9 and X, let alone if they had completely different worlds like XP and X. Bottom line, this idea is BAD BAD BAD.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Muah, you nailed it. Dual boot is completely idiotic.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Win XP = security hole.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Well, most of my friends are techies which may explain why they swtiched because of OS.

And for hardware, the only thing Mac has up over PC is the design. Techies would either 1) not care about design oe 2) create his or own design (use different case, stealthing, etc).

Lastly, comparison with TiBook is not fair since 1) it is only one product in Apple's line and 2) there are many PC laptops to choose from e.g. ultra-thin Portege 2000.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Apple should run a "Microsoft Office" promotion.

First they need to get StarOffice (or OpenOffice, whatever is available) and get it near 100% compatible. Then offer it for $100 with any machine. Then offer $200 off a machine with "AppleOffice" for anyone that trades in a Windows Office license.