Back to COMPUTER SCHOOL?!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was in my 1st period class and did not have my powerpoint for it. The reason for this is that I did my presentation in Appleworks and did not realize that it only saved in the Appleworks format. I told my teacher this and she laughed and promptly told the rest of the class. She then said i needed to get a "REAL" computer (aka a winbox) and also added that i needed to go back to computer school. Now i consider myself a very tech savvy person and probably know more about computers than most adults. This comment angered me because that is the primary reason i got an Apple was to get a REAL computer. I was about to respond to this ignorant comment when another fool stood up and said "Who uses Apple? Apple sux!". I then immediately turned to him and replied "People who actually enjoy using their computers and not spending all of their time removing viruses,worms,spyware,etc. and reinstalling their OS because it has become so bloated it BARELY WORKS!!" By the way can Appleworks save my presentation as a Powerpoint? Am i missing something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Cripes, what was this, high school? Nice of the teacher to make fun of you to the class, and showing her own ignorance in the process.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I would of asked the kid if he owned an ipod. It would of been funny if he owned one.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'd really recommend just getting microsoft office. They have an academic edition that's sub-$100.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    ...or Keynote, which exports to PowerPoint format. I think it also imports from PowerPoint.

What an ass of a teacher.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Meh. Welcome to the real world ? people suck.

I feel your pain, tho'.

Next time you might want to walk in with your actual laptop (if indeed you have a laptop) and just plug that into the projector (if that's possible)?

-S
  • Reply 6 of 21
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Protostar-

We all encounter things like this in life. If I was you, I would be more upset about the teacher's overall rudeness than the fact that you couldn't do the presentation. I do not understand why people have to be cruel like this.

We should make a list of all the professionals, celebrities, and artists that use Macs. I hope you don't let the teacher's rude comments bother you. As for what she said, you know the truth.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    That comment by your teacher is an attempt to hide her incompetence. I would ignore her remark.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Geez thats a little harsh! You should book your teacher for a detention!

I'm equally a pretty tech savvy person and I understand completely where youre coming from. Although Im still trained in the ways of the PC world, I've always appreciated, and now, massively appreciate the power of the MAC platform. Its simply amazing in the amount of thought and work gone into the design of Apple O/S, and its software partners. I used to do a lot of design and Adobe....well, we all know who they are!
  • Reply 9 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Keynote's export-to-powerpoint is weak. Well, it's mostly weak because power point is weak, and if you do cool stuff in keynote there's really no way to export it to power point other than to export the keynote as a Quicktime, and then punch out each frame as a graphic.

BTW: I have made a lot of corporate prsentations in keynote. Much of the time it needs to be powerpoint, so I'll make the template in keynote and let people put text in with powerpoint, but often I can just use keynote, especially if I'm giving the presentation.

Anyway, there was a time when there may have been some geeky bonus to using a PC. That is, when PC's had more cryptic interfaces, and it took more tech know-how to use one. But now Windows caters to the idiot, with poorly construed, in-your-face wizards everywhere, and back doors for anyone to exploit. Ironically, Mac OS X caters to the intellectual, who likes a polished GUI 95% of the time, but also enjoys having UNIX for the other 5%. So you shouldn't be upset at all. There's no reason to even argue about it. It's their loss, really, and I'd bet that they're too ignorant to possibly fathom any meaningful comment about how macs are different than windows machines.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

[i]Ironically, Mac OS X caters to the intellectual, who likes a polished GUI 95% of the time, but also enjoys having UNIX for the other 5%. So you shouldn't be upset at all. [/B]

There's no irony. Aesthetics and higher-level cognitive function are the realm of the élite.

From a drunkard to the school child: shame is for the WEAK!

-S
  • Reply 11 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I'm right with you on the aesthetics. The Irony, though, was intended to encompass Apple's move to UNIX and Windows' departure from DOS.

Granted the terminal is unecessary for mac use, and DOS is unecessary for windows use, but it's plain obvious that the OS X terminal is a far, far more powerful tool than DOS is. So these days the geeks are on Apple's side.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    yeah, that teacher is going to hell, but until that time comes, you're gonna have to learn to suck it up...because that's life. it may not be your fault, but ultimately, if it's not done, for whatever reason, IT IS youre fault.

sometimes in life, you have to beat your drum to everyone else's beat; in this case it's having a PC. heck, i have both a Thinkpad R51 and a PB 1.33 12". no compatibility problems for me
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

yeah, that teacher is going to hell, but until that time comes, you're gonna have to learn to suck it up...because that's life. it may not be your fault, but ultimately, if it's not done, for whatever reason, IT IS youre fault.

sometimes in life, you have to beat your drum to everyone else's beat; in this case it's having a PC. heck, i have both a Thinkpad R51 and a PB 1.33 12". no compatibility problems for me

That's such utter crap.

I only have a PowerBook, work in a Unix/Windows environment, and I have zero problems.

Owning a PC is a choice, not forced servitude. Yet.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    mandimandi Posts: 17member
    aww man that friggin sucks crap! That teacher just showed how unprofessional she really is!! It shocks me that someone - a teacher (who by the way is supposed to set an example for his/her students by being a MATURE individual) would act like this.

Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Owning a PC is a choice, not forced servitude. Yet.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I must add, today I went and visited my university campus (for the first time -will be first year student). I was surprised to see a lot of Macs being used by students there. At the campus computer shop everyone was crowded around the macs, while the sony vaios and HPs sat there, idle.

The people in your class were very immature and ignorant, I HOPE this occured in a highschool... if this happened in a college. god help you, god help all of us.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    hhoganhhogan Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mandi

aww man that friggin sucks crap! That teacher just showed how unprofessional she really is!! It shocks me that someone - a teacher (who by the way is supposed to set an example for his/her students by being a MATURE individual) would act like this.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I must add, today I went and visited my university campus (for the first time -will be first year student). I was surprised to see a lot of Macs being used by students there. At the campus computer shop everyone was crowded around the macs, while the sony vaios and HPs sat there, idle.

The people in your class were very immature and ignorant, I HOPE this occured in a highschool... if this happened in a college. god help you, god help all of us.

What school was that ?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    at U of T, there were kids hanging around outside around campus on their powerbooks and ibooks (that glowing apple logo is hard to miss). I saw quite a few macs inside some of the buildings being used... I was shocked since it is a windows world.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    hhoganhhogan Posts: 117member
    had a feeling you were talking about U of T, so was actually surprised (Unless its U of T @ Mississauga, there its a 24 hr fasion show :P)
  • Reply 18 of 21
    ya i was talking about the St. George campus. Wait, U of T @ Mississagua is a 24 hour fashion show? Jeez man... what the hell! It's friggin university! I know York is also a fashion show, this is ridiculous. But whatever. I don't care for fashion. I make my own clothes.

Oh and I forgot to say Protostar, your teacher has it all wrong! Only the COOL kids use Macs these days, so her and your class is definately not on the 'cool' list. tee hee
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Actually this did occur in high school (i hate high school),but there are a few people I know who own Macs and who can appreciate their elegance and power. Also im currently trying to persuade a couple of people to switch to either Apple and/or Linux. But what really amazes me is how many people bitch and moan about their computers not working (Windows users) and then continue to bitch and moan about how crappy the proposed solution is(Mac,Linux,BSD,etc.). How can u make a valid arguement about something when u have never tried it or dont even know what it is!! Just my personal view.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    As another Raleigh resident with the ear of the head of Wake County Schools... wanna PM me some more info on what school this was in?