Just got Motion! My review w/ 12"pbook

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i just got motion a few minutes ago and installed it on the following:

12" pbook 1.33 Ghz

768MB ram

nvidia fx go5200

it is also hooked up to a new 20" display

The first thing I noticed was the convenient Dashboard--very very useful and time-saving. On my setup, Motion did run a bit slow after putting gravity and particle effects on a 3 minute quicktime video. Obviously thats a longer clip than a usual motion graphics piece, but still reasonable. I havent hada chance to explore a whole lot yet, so I'll get back to that. Sorry this wasn't too long, but I'll keep posting as I know more.

edit 1: The Primatte keyer is incredible! worked well on a crappy quicktime video. The keyframe editing area is very AE-like, but way better. adding keyframes is very easy with the auto-key framer. I got a particle system to work fairly well in terms of performance.

edit 2: particle systems are amazing. i'm a little speechless.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    So, compared to AE: what are the pro's and con's (speed, workflow, features ...) ?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

So, compared to AE: what are the pro's and con's (speed, workflow, features ...) ?

I feel like the interface is MUCH better on Motion than AE. On the other hand, I feel like AE is more scalable in terms of the machine its on. Motion is definitley built for the G5 and loads of ram. It can run fine with the video loop turned off, but its less forgiving than AE. I still have tons to learn with Motion, so I'm sure once I 'customize' everything to my workflow it will be fine. That's the other thing I like about Motion--much more customizable. There are about 5 ways to do the same thingg, so you can choose whichever way works best for you and build your window sets around that.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I wants more. Tell us more.