ATI Radeon 9800XT?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, new here and I just got my first Mac about a week ago. It's a Dual 2.5 G5, 1GB ram, 160 HD, SD, and 9800XT.

Anyway, the sticker on my box says ATI 9600XT but I ordered the 9800XT and am not sure if I got the wrong video card or not. I waited three months for this thing and am hoping I got the correct stuff. I took a snapshot of it so that maybe someone could assure me that I got the right one. Here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/btliang/ati_001.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/btliang/ati_002.jpg

It looks different than the one they have on the ATI site. I assume that's because they pictured the PC retail version?

I checked "about this mac" on my computer and it doesn't list the model number just says ATI and ATY, R360. The Apple Tech support didn't know either and said to look at it and if it covers the 2nd PCI slot then I probably have the right one (which it does). The info in the sys profiler also says it has 256Mb vram. I guess the box sticker just lists the standard config. and not the upgrades (it does say 1Gb or Ram though, which is an upgrade)?

I'm assuming I have the right one with this info, but wanted to check with some people that have the real knowledge.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    That's definitely the 9800 XT. The 9600 doesn't have a silver heatsink. Plus, this one's heatsink is so tall it blocks the adjacent PCI slot.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Seconded. It's most definitely the 9800XT. Enjoy every bit of it. :-)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    My 9600 pro has no fan, on it, and the heatsink is of a different shape and much smaller.

You have the right video card.

Enjoy
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Wow, you guys rock with the quick replys! Thanks for the help!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    My sticker says the same thing as well... but it is the 9800XT. The system profiler says that there are 256 megs of ram on the card. The 9600XT only has 128 megs.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    And I can third Zapchud's seconding. As someone said the heatsink is so big it blocks the adjacent PCI slot, this way hopefully the card is quieter. Here is another picture of it... http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ghlight=9800xt
  • Reply 7 of 10
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    R360 is indeed a 9800XT (the 9800 Pro was R350, the 9600s are RV350/360).
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Sorry...I just want to clarify. Is the 9800XT the same as the Radeon 256 MB Special Edition for the Mac??

And I'm trying to debate whether I should buy the Ati Radeon 9800 SE 256MB or 128MB. I don't think I'd be using for games much...mostly video editing(After Effects, Final Cut, Motion, etc.) and watching DVDs. What do you think? Is it worth paying extra for the 256MB?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Note: the Mac special edition does indeed appear to be a 9800 XT (or thereabouts), rather than the normal PC 9800 SE (which has half the number of pixel pipelines as normal 9800/9800Pro/9800 XTs). Ati's naming scheme is truly bizarre.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by lovenrockets

Sorry...I just want to clarify. Is the 9800XT the same as the Radeon 256 MB Special Edition for the Mac??

And I'm trying to debate whether I should buy the Ati Radeon 9800 SE 256MB or 128MB. I don't think I'd be using for games much...mostly video editing(After Effects, Final Cut, Motion, etc.) and watching DVDs. What do you think? Is it worth paying extra for the 256MB?

None of the programs you mention (besides Motion) will benefit AT ALL from the more expensive video card-and Motion runs just fine with a video card that has only 64MB, so you sohuld be just fine...