Some info that came my way

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
No "CONFIRMED" here, and I have no real evidence of this information's validity, but here is what I heard today.

15" LCD iMac. No further specifications.

New display lineup 17", 19", 22".

The 22" will be lowered to $1999.

867, 1.2 dual, 1.5 GHz G4 towers.

Only what I heard, no guarantees.

-'pert

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    Please say the 17 inch moniter will be lowered then too. I would love a 17 inch Apple LCD but there is this little money issue.

867 --> 1200 --> 1500 are fairly large increments. I don't know why Apple would keep the 867 if they can get a 1 Ghz chip in there. (could be the money issue again though

Oh, and how did you come into this information? hmm...
  • Reply 2 of 83
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I posted some confirmed pics of a new iMac in another thread.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    I would assume the 17" would come down to the current 15"'s price point, however, I didn't hear anything about that.

I don't know why the 867, since with one more mutliplier on the 133 bus, you get 1 GHz. Must want that high margin.

A friend of mine talked to an Apple employee at CompUSA.

-'pert
  • Reply 4 of 83
    Well, the sincerity and humility of the first post is damn shocking! Thanks. I won't crucify you now if you're wrong.

I imagine 867 will be dualies.

Isn't there a discount on Studio Displays right now? Perhaps they will simply keep the lower prices, or better, lower prices and keep the discount when bundled with towers.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    1.5 Ghz sounds way too high for the Apollo.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    Thanks, BuonRotto.

If Apple made the low end a 867 dual, that would totally rock. I think a 867 would be overpriced at $1699, especially if it does not include a Superdrive. However, a dual 867 for $1699 would be a great value.

Your display ideas I agree with as well. At the very least Apple should give a discount when buying tower and display at the same time, give people an incentive to buy the LCDs rather than using a cheap VGA CRT.

-'pert
  • Reply 7 of 83
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    [quote]Originally posted by Rupert:

<strong>No "CONFIRMED" here, and I have no real evidence of this information's validity, but here is what I heard today.

-'pert</strong><hr></blockquote>

Congratulations, Rupert, on being the first person in this forum to offer up a REALISTIC and grounded "scoop".

Like the other guy said, you humility and based-in-sanity offerings will save you from a beating later on if your info proves wrong.

Any asshead can come into Future Hardware and spew out jizz about 1.6GHz iMac with SuperDrive and liquid-cooled memory, but YOU, my friend...you chose to act right, and for that, I'm grateful.

I'm on record in several hundred other threads saying that I don't buy the "1.6GHz G5" crap at all.

Still don't.

What I DO buy, however, are GHz-busting G4s and a new 15" LCD-based iMac.

And the info on the Apple Displays. Very nice. The Cinema Display, judging by previous history and price drops, probably IS ready for that magical sub-$2000 reduction. And I've said all along that the other displays could stand to drop a bit too.

The 15" is a $450 monitor...$500 at the MOST. And the 17" Studio Display would sell like hotcakes if they dropped it down to $799 or so...which I think is completely reasonable and doable.

A new 19" Display? Cool. Probably be, what, about $1199 or so?

In any case, nice post. Congrats on not joining the crack-smoking brigade and flinging out complete, fictional bullshit.

• Reply 8 of 83
    Hi. I used to have several hundred posts in the previous board but I see that we all get to start back at #1 as well.

I also got some info on the new iMacs, and as the first posted said, I also do not have any way to back it up.

But basically I was told that it had a thin base with a slot loading CD-R. Whether the higher end models would have a combo drive I wasn't told.

I took it with a grain of salt and I am sure you all will to.

Glad to be back.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    If true, my question would then be-

What's faster (all the way round), the dual 1.2 or the single 1.5?
  • Reply 10 of 83
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member

<strong>

A friend of mine talked to an Apple employee at CompUSA.

Therfore it must be totally true
  • Reply 11 of 83
    Definately 1.2 dual.

I even think a theoretical 867 dual would be faster than a 1.5 single.

I hope I'm wrong about the towers because I don't like it when the dual is not the highest speed (in clockspeed per processor) because of this exact question. It shouldn't even be a question.

At least keep things as they are now, the highest clock speed the middle model, with the dual processor tower the high end and most expensive.

In other words:

466, 533, 533 dual, 667, 733

BAD

733, 867, 800 dual

GOOD

Theoretically

867, 1.2 dual, 1.5

BAD

867, 1.5, 1.2 dual

GOOD

In my opinion.

-'pert

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Rupert ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 83
    G4Dude-

Not a compUSA employee, one of the Apple employeed people representing Apple inside the compUSA stores because compUSA employees don't know about Macs.

Just making that clear.

-'pert
  • Reply 13 of 83
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member

<strong>G4Dude-

Not a compUSA employee, one of the Apple employeed people representing Apple inside the compUSA stores because compUSA employees don't know about Macs.

Just making that clear.

oops, my bad. sorry

• Reply 14 of 83
    No problem.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member

<strong>Definately 1.2 dual.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Rupert ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, cause your first post had the dual 1.2 in the middle so it threw me off. The dualie would be the top end.

Dual 1.2, how'd that be? Would that be good enough with DDR? What about without DDR?

Need to know if I should concider this (if true) or plan on waiting for the G5.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member

<strong>No "CONFIRMED" here, and I have no real evidence of this information's validity, but here is what I heard today.

Booooorrrrring and you do realize that posting rational expectations will get you nowhere with much of the gang that hangs out around here. Where is the iPad/iMac combo specs? Where is the G5 2.7Ghz specs? Where is the 10Gb wireless Firewire? Where is the HDTV video support? Sheech didn't you even bother to read those terms and conditions when you got your AI forum username/password?? It clearly stated "If you don't have something totally over the top to report **or** re-report old news over and over again then don't start a new thread"

Just kidding and while this isn't 'confirmed' I do like the specs and I also think they are well within reason...

The LCD news is nice and rewind a few MacWorld Expos (99?).. Apple was the FIRST to make a HUGE slash in LCD display prices... The SGI was selling for some insane price and then Apple kicked in with their LCD displays (15" and 22" IIRC) and SGI had to cut their 21" display price in half ( I think ) I tried to find the press release but google wasn't kind to me this time... Apple LCD turned up too many hits and adding SGI didn't help.

As a matter of fact I've often thought that ADC was done to keep non-Mac users from buying Apple displays since I'm sure many of the first gen non-ADC Apple LCD's were purchased by non-Mac owners.

Maybe Apple is ready to do it again?

17" = $599

19" = $999

22" = $1999

Apple has killer LCD's and a 17" for $599 would be very nice indeed! If they wanted to make me REALLY happy they could always drop the 17" down to $499 and/or keep the 15" and price it at say $399.

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 83
    Sorry, I didn't hear anything about DDR RAM.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I would be surprised at 1.5GHz G4s but certainly others agree with monitor changes.

[quote] A few days ago, <a href="http://www.railheaddesign.com"; target="_blank">RailHead Design</a> posted a few details/rumors about the future of Apple's LCD line as well as new enclosures for them:

Here?s what I know: the 15 inch display will be dissolved and the new low-end display will be the 17 inch model. The 22 inch display will remain the top-dog, and to fill-in the middle spot, Apple will introduce a 19 inch model. So, we?ll have the full range: 17 inch, 19 inch, and 22 inch.

Details under the Nov. 27th entry...<hr></blockquote>

Edit: Just for ease here is what RailHead Design has to say. I would expect all but the top LCD to remain at current prices though if there is a revision.

[quote] New Apple Displays

We?ve all been wondering, and now the time is getting closer ? Apple is getting ready to release a new set of displays. As you all know, CRT monitors are going the way of the floppy drive since they?re so bulky, heavy, heat-generating, and power hungry. The new standard is LCD, and prices for this display technology is dropping on a daily basis, which is helping to make LCD the defacto standard.

As for Apple, you can now purchase three sizes: 15, 17 and 22 inch displays, and prices range from $600 to $1000 to $2500. Also, these current models match only the Graphite enclosure ? but not for long.

Here?s what I know: the 15 inch display will be dissolved and the new low-end display will be the 17 inch model. The 22 inch display will remain the top-dog, and to fill-in the middle spot, Apple will introduce a 19 inch model. So, we?ll have the full range: 17 inch, 19 inch, and 22 inch.

We will also be seeing a new body for these displays: Quicksilver. There are a few potential cases being looked at, from complete Quicksilver matching, to a design that?s a little more androgenous to the Mac?s case design (so it will still ?match? the Mac when the next body style comes out). But the current mind-set is to make displays that match the body?s and to change their exteriors accordingly and in relation to changes made in the Mac case style.

As for pricing, even though LCD is getting more and more affordable, things won?t be too much different from what they are now: the 17 inch will come in around $500, the 19 inch around $900, and the 22 inch display will hold fast to the $2000-$2300 spot. Better, yes, but good mother I?d love that 22 inch display!

When will we see these new monitors? Sooner than we think, from what I?m hearing ? and we should be able to place our orders in the first quarter of 2002, if not before. Stay tuned, and I?ll post more as I get more? <hr></blockquote>

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Telomar ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 83
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    If Apple really releases the 19" LCD at the 1000US level I will immediately sell my bulky 21" Apple Graphite CRT Studio Display and get that LCD and then buy another cheap 15" LCD (any brand)
  • Reply 20 of 83
    I agree, if I can get an Apple 19" LCD for $999 or less, I'm on it!