PowerBooks' battery

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

This one is for PowerBook G4 users. I have heard a lot of different things about the PowerBooks battery duration. Some people say it lasts for 4/5 hours, others say it sucks cause only lasts 1/2 hours. What do you have to say about that ?

thanks

peace []

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lasts on average of about 3-4 hours of normal use, that is, browsing the internet, playing music, and ichatting at the same time. Of course screen brightness is one of the key factors in battery life, the lower you set the screen brightness the longer the battery will last. I can go for almost 6 hours if I have it down the the next to lowest bar and only use word processing.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Depends on the age. My old Powerbook G4 15" 667--it's battery is 2 years old and I'm lucky if I get a half an hour out of it. I got 3-1/2 to 4 when it was new. I just ordered a new one to replace it, so I can hand it down to my wife for school. The salesperson said the new batteries would get better life than the original.

My new 17" gets well over 4 hours, but I have not actually sat down and timed it. Because I haven't sat down and ran it non stop. I grab a coffee or chat on the phone & it goes to sleep.

I would imagine you would get better time off a 12" powerbook as well.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I have a 15" powerbook 1.25ghz and I get 2 - 2.5 hours at the most using longest battery life settings. Is there something wrong with my battery, or is this normal?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericeason

I have a 15" powerbook 1.25ghz and I get 2 - 2.5 hours at the most using longest battery life settings. Is there something wrong with my battery, or is this normal?

Turn Airport/Bluetooth off, they use power even when you arent surfing the web or using a bluetooth mouse/keyboard/etc

Turn the screen brightness as low as possible to where you're comfortable with

Try to avoid using the Optical drive

Otherwise that sounds normal for a laptop battery for a desktop replacement, such as yours.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wanea

I have heard a lot of different things about the PowerBooks battery duration. Some people say it lasts for 4/5 hours, others say it sucks cause only lasts 1/2 hours. What do you have to say about that ?

Here is what you need to know .
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Batteries haven't changed in a decade. Anyone know if Apple will shake 'em up? Come out with fuel cells or something, or crazy capacity like 10 hours with some new tech? That'd be shweet esp if they were backwards compatible and I could buy one to put in my current machine
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Backward compatible!?!

Why that would be one less reason to buy a new machine!