Whats the ultimate guitar stomp box

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I mean the very best? I was thinking of buying NI's Guitar rig, but Id rather not tie up my computer CPU while recording, and I could use it live. How does it compare to Guitar rig?

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    If you can find one, a Rockman. They even had a headphone version.

Made by the Tom Scholz of the group Boston, it will make your guitar sound like it belongs in a Boston song, but I still like it.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    just to clarify a bit, I mean multieffects, amp modelling etc, something like a line 6 Pod XT or Boss GT6. I don't really want to spend more than $500, so it might not be the ultimate ultimate. Whats the ultimate for this kind of money? and I want to connect it to the computer for recording, not to an amplifier.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I have a Digitech BNX3, which is the bass version of their guitar GNX3, I really like it, but I think it's been discontinued :/
  • Reply 4 of 18
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Big Muff.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by powermacG6

just to clarify a bit, I mean multieffects, amp modelling etc, something like a line 6 Pod XT or Boss GT6. I don't really want to spend more than $500, so it might not be the ultimate ultimate. Whats the ultimate for this kind of money? and I want to connect it to the computer for recording, not to an amplifier.

I'd go with the Pod XT.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    for amp modeling all in one type of things im a big fan of the johnson j-station. i think this company may be out of buisness though so you'd probaly be able to pick one up used pretty cheap

personally though my favorite pedal(s) would be the boss gigadelay going into an electro-harmonix memory man...mmm lots of tasty delay
  • Reply 7 of 18
    the roland vg-8 is awesome as is the Boss gt-5.

digitech also has some nice gear.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Big Muff.

got one sitting right next to me, definitely one of the best distortion boxes out there.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Ive been looking at the boss GS-10, http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=129

I just wonder how this compares to Guitar rig?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

got one sitting right next to me, definitely one of the best distortion boxes out there.

I love mine. Had it since Sovtek re-issued it in the early 90s. My next major piece of gear will be a memory-man delay.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I love my Maestro Phaser and Roland Space Echo, but could really use a new overdrive pedal. Anyway, I've had the original Pod since the day it came out and love it, but I've heard the new one is miles ahead of it. Would also like to check out the Vox Tonelab if I get the cash to upgrade.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

I love my Maestro Phaser and Roland Space Echo, but could really use a new overdrive pedal. Anyway, I've had the original Pod since the day it came out and love it, but I've heard the new one is miles ahead of it. Would also like to check out the Vox Tonelab if I get the cash to upgrade.

Something I rather like about NI Guitar rig is the split channel function, where you can rig up 2 or more different amp/speaker/mic simulations on the Left and Right Channel to give some awesome stereo effects. I've been wondering if the Hardware boxes, like the Pod or Boss can do this?

BTW I used to have a Danelectro Fab Tone which was just Fucking Rude Awesome if youre looking for a new overdrive/fuzz
  • Reply 13 of 18
    That's one trick I don't think the pod has. I know mine doesn't, but mine is two generations old so they may have implemented it in the latest version. Two amps do sound nice. My big rig consists of a Fender Deluxe with all my effects and Marshall JCM 800. Sounds freaking huge!

Also thanks for the recommendation, I'm thinking more along the lines of a Crowther Hot Cake or a Ibanez Tube Screamer though. I need more of a true overdrive to help my strat push the Marshall. I can get enough distortion out of the Marshall with my humbucker equipped guitars, but the strat doesn't have enough output on it's own to really get it to sing.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

That's one trick I don't think the pod has. I know mine doesn't, but mine is two generations old so they may have implemented it in the latest version. Two amps do sound nice. My big rig consists of a Fender Deluxe with all my effects and Marshall JCM 800. Sounds freaking huge!

Also thanks for the recommendation, I'm thinking more along the lines of a Crowther Hot Cake or a Ibanez Tube Screamer though. I need more of a true overdrive to help my strat push the Marshall. I can get enough distortion out of the Marshall with my humbucker equipped guitars, but the strat doesn't have enough output on it's own to really get it to sing.

Perhaps one of these might be the answer if its just a level problem.

http://www.behringer.com/GI100/index.cfm?lang=ENG
  • Reply 15 of 18
    A new question>>>

can someone point me in the direction of the Guitarists equivalent of AI., Thanks
  • Reply 16 of 18
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Big Muff.

Damned right.

My old guitarist's electroharmonix died years ago, so he bought the Russian made one.

We called it the Big Muffski.

(Hey we were 22 at the time--livin' the rusted Econoline dream....)
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Interesting suggestion. You might want to try the forums at www.musicplayer.com Craig Anderton who moderates one of the forums their has been around forever writing for music magazines and has probably done a review of the NI rig.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

Damned right.

My old guitarist's electroharmonix died years ago, so he bought the Russian made one.

We called it the Big Muffski.

(Hey we were 22 at the time--livin' the rusted Econoline dream....)

Heh. I just use the muff as a complement to the tube distortion on my amp, which has a tendency to be a little crunchy. I really just needed a versatile fuzz, and the muff is certainly that.