HD battle looms...poised to get ugly

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
War could not be avoided. We're going into the HD pre-recorded era with two competing formats. Both are rushing product to us.

HD DVD now coming in "early" 2005

Wow no one has even committed to making HD-DVD movies but the players are coming

With Blu Ray Sony have announced that that the Playstation 3 will contain a BD-ROM device which should play movies nigh 2006 when announced.

Looks like I'm buying a HD-DVD and a PS3 unless someone can fashion a Universal bugger like what they've done with DVD-Audio/SACD.

Sony will be adding a high efficiency coded. I think it is going to be AVC FreXT. In fact Sony requested Microsoft to submit their codec for testing and Microsoft did nothing. Doesn't look good for VC-9 making it especially when Microsoft publically endorsed HD-DVD for Longhorn.

Blu Ray potentially adding AVC is a postive for Apple if it happens because Apple will be putting a lot of work into AVC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    whatever format wins, lets hope it isnt a WM9 DRM, the DVD requierments for the current gen MS HDDVD is equal to most high end gameing rigs, imagine a dvd format that requiers a 3.06 ghz processor...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The sooner HD-DVD dies the better... Too bad that's not likely to happen with the backing of the DVD Forum.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The sooner HD-DVD dies the better... Too bad that's not likely to happen with the backing of the DVD Forum.

I thought dvd forum was behind bluelaser, not the damned hddvd thing?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I thought dvd forum was behind bluelaser, not the damned hddvd thing?

Both technologies use a blue laser.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Both technologies use a blue laser.

Maybe he meant Blu-ray. Last I heard they are backing HD-DVD which has a few codec options including WMV.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I read on IGN that TDK is working dual-layer double sided disc that holds

100 to 200 gigs. With that amount of space & Apples codec, you could fit

an entire high-def James Bond Collection on a single disc!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Maybe he meant Blu-ray. Last I heard they are backing HD-DVD which has a few codec options including WMV.

yes I meant blu-ray, but I do hope there is another codec option other than wmv for it, and what do the mpeg people have to say about this, surely they will not go away without a fight.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
  • Reply 9 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I think with the addition of one of the HE(High Efficiency)codecs Blu Ray may have the upper hand. Blu Ray is supposed to have pretty damn stout copy protection as well. Now that TDK has the hardened coating and there is no need for a cartridge I think that it boils down to production costs.

HD-DVD is nice but its a little lite on the space. 15-30GB is a little too small to last us 10 years.

A 100GB Blu Ray disc would hold 18.5 hours of HD video at 12Mbps. At standard definition that would double.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

A 100GB Blu Ray disc would hold 18.5 hours of HD video at 12Mbps. At standard definition that would double.

A pound of feathers or a pound of marbles?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

A pound of feathers or a pound of marbles?

What do physics have to do with this?