iMac G3 dead monitor

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OK, here's the thing. I have an old iMac G3, it's not great, but it still works for the net. I was thinking about setting up a small webserver on it, but here's the thing. The top 1/3 or so of the monitor looks like its folded over or something. Like the picture has been stretched but you can only see refresh lines over and over. It's hard to explain. Basically, the monitor is unusable. I have an old 14 inch monitor that will do 1024x768, but not at a refresh rate to match the built in monitor, so it doesn't show up when I'm using the vga out.

My question: Is there any way to a) fix the monitor (hoping its a loose connection or something), or b) disable the onboard monitor entirely so that you can use lower end monitors, or c) disable it anyway, because if I have to get a monitor to support it, I still want to disable the built in monitor in case any epileptic people come over, because the flashing is almost enough to give me a seizure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Some of the early models, Bondi 233, had a problem with the "analog" card. Sounds like you have it. It's basically dead. Sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    by bondi 233 do you mean 233 mhz? because it's a 500 mhz. And it doesn't seem to be the card because the external monitors work perfectly. Of course I don't know the inside of imacs well at all, so I could be way off.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Still, is there any way to disable the onboard monitor entirely so that the settings of the external will be used?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Sorry for the bump, but...

Does anyone know how to disable the built in CRT?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I had the very exact problem with my iMac G3 600Mhz, The Monitor would just spaz, but external worked perfect. Weird enough I just left it, everytime it spazed I just turned it off and back on. Now I have no problems, just went away over time. to diable it, you'll have to open the thing up and manually disconnect it from the video board.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    If it's anything like the rev. A iMac disconnecting it shouldn't be too tricky. If the guts (motherboards, hard drive/CD drive) of the iMac comes off in a tray you can just unplug the monitor from the back of the tray. I'm not sure how that would affect the external monitor port.

You'll need to unscrew the bottom half of the iMac's case to get at the tray. Don't worry if you have to bend it a bit to get it back on, it's tough stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    yeah it's kinda apart right now, upside down in a chair in my living room. If it will work with an external monitor with the internal unplugged I'll be a happy camper. I'd be happier if I could run it at 1600x1200, but hey, you can't have it all
  • Reply 8 of 15
    If you disconnect the internal monitor enitrely it should support the highest resolution that the monitor connected in its place supports. I wouldn't expect that the video card is the limiting factor.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    If the thing ends up dead which i hope doesnt happen i have been looking for a old imac to make an aquarium out of. let me know
  • Reply 10 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    This is exactly why I refuse to buy an AIO, if the included monitor, which is usualy of low quality(ala CHEAP) bytes the dust, you have no computer, you have to buy a whole new unit and to get data off of the HDD, you have to dis assemble the whole thing, and then pray that your old hdd file system can be read by the new box (ala os8/9 -> osx).
  • Reply 11 of 15
    *LOL* at the aquarium idea. But not a bad idea at all.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    OK anyone have schematics for this thing?

I can't seem to figure out how to get the drive tray, etc. out? I'm not seeing a connector for the display on the mobo anywhere. This thing is a pain *L* In a few years I'll definitely be getting a g5 (after I save up some money) and put this behind me.

At that time, I'll sell it for aquarium parts.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ...I got an iRack (not to be confused with the iRaq which is FAAAAR more expensive) and shoved the guts of mine in it and use it as an iTunes player. Expensive, but cool as hell.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    heh. That's pretty slick. Wish I could afford it
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Turn it upside down and look for screws near the joins in the case. They are probably quite deeply recessed (Could be a pain if they're hex or Torx bolts rather than Phillips screws).