Some info that came my way

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    1 other argument that would support the new line of 17", 19" and 22" LCD displays is if iMacs do get 15" LCDs. Just can't see Apple offering 15" LCDs when they are with the iMac already.
  • Reply 22 of 83
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well guys...it's Apple.

Do you HONESTLY think they're going to actually unveil and sell a 19" LCD at $999 or less?

They SHOULD, of course, but you and I both know they won't.

Yes, the might actually release a 19" LCD. Very possible. Will it cost $999?

Most definitely...year and a half from now!

They're selling their 17" model at $999, for crying out loud. Why makes you think they're going to drop that so significantly that they'll just - out of the blue - sell a brand new, potentially EXTREMELY popular 19" LCD for the same price, and NOT try to sell it for $1299 or so and milk it for all it's worth.

Remember, the operative word here is: "Apple".

Reach back into your memory vaults and try and recall the last time they unveiled ANYTHING that was a perfect marriage of power/specs AND reasonable, industry comparable price.

You can't.

iPod? Cinema Display? 17" Studio Display? G4 Cube? $1499 current top-end iMac? G4?

If Apple unveils a 19" LCD AND actually prices it at $999 or below, I'll faint.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>Well guys...it's Apple.

Do you HONESTLY think they're going to actually unveil and sell a 19" LCD at $999 or less?

They SHOULD, of course, but you and I both know they won't.

Yes, the might actually release a 19" LCD. Very possible. Will it cost $999?

Most definitely...year and a half from now!

They're selling their 17" model at $999, for crying out loud. Why makes you think they're going to drop that so significantly that they'll just - out of the blue - sell a brand new, potentially EXTREMELY popular 19" LCD for the same price, and NOT try to sell it for $1299 or so and milk it for all it's worth.

Remember, the operative word here is: "Apple".

Reach back into your memory vaults and try and recall the last time they unveiled ANYTHING that was a perfect marriage of power/specs AND reasonable, industry comparable price.

You can't.

iPod? Cinema Display? 17" Studio Display? G4 Cube? $1499 current top-end iMac? G4?

If Apple unveils a 19" LCD AND actually prices it at $999 or below, I'll faint.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You forget that Apple just up and dropped $500 of the cimena display. Twice.

Not to mention every G4 revision, the top becomes the bottom, so, what's that almost $1000 less 6 months later?

I think it's very possible.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    [quote]Originally posted by Rupert:

<strong>G4Dude-

Not a compUSA employee, one of the Apple employeed people representing Apple inside the compUSA stores because compUSA employees don't know about Macs.

Just making that clear.

-'pert</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can tell you for certain that the Apple Solutions Consultants have no info on the products released before they're announced. They only get the rumors like we do. So even though he may work for Apple it don't mean shit!

Besides, there is almost certain to be a G5 released the way Apple has been yanking any real G5 info and putting out the Apollo info instead. Of course this is "unconfirmed".
  • Reply 25 of 83
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member

<strong>Reach back into your memory vaults and try and recall the last time they unveiled ANYTHING that was a perfect marriage of power/specs AND reasonable, industry comparable price.

If Apple unveils a 19" LCD AND actually prices it at $999 or below, I'll faint.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm thinking about the new iBooks. Very good prices on those. They were IMHO a new product and they came in at a great price. But for the LCD's, we shall see.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    I'm not sure this helps much but I was at a Houston area Compusa last night looking for a piece of software and as always I checked out the bargain rack for demo models and such I ended up buying adual usb ibook cd for $900 + tx for the Ibook and a two year warranty worked out to $550 for the ibook and $350 for the warranty(no choice had to buy warranty)There was a G4 500 mhz Titanium 256 ram 20 gig dr DVD with three year warranty for $1500. My wife thought I could live with the ibook (she was right) maybe they were doing a regular change out of display models or maybe they are expecting something shortly after christmas (Jan 8) BTW I got my wife DV Snow le 500 mhz G3 30 gig dr DVD for $1104 + Tx with a 3 year on site warranty last spring (when they were $1495)

It pays to shop I was going to wait till jan but how could a guy trying to save refuse
  • Reply 27 of 83
    well perhaps the g5 rumours are 1/2 true.

being that the TRUTH is

1.5 g4s(not 1.6 g5s)

good yields on 1.5(not 1.6)

I'd think that

1 ghz 1.2 ghz and 1.5 ghz would be a bit more balanced and realistic furthermore IF the above bit is the case then it would look like

1.2 ghz

dual 1 ghz

dual 1.5 ghz

I know a dual 1.5 seems much BUT if the rumours of a high yield 1.6 are correct in the sense that its actually high yields on a 1.5. then a dual isn't too far fetched.

did I just make any sense?

basically what I'm saying is perhaps 1.6 and 1.5 got mixed up as well as g5 and g4 SOMEWHERE on the way out of apple black ops and into the masses

I would be cool with a 1.5 g4 esp. if it was dual !!!
  • Reply 28 of 83
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>I posted some confirmed pics of a new iMac in another thread. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey, can you make a link to that thread?? I would love to see it!!!
  • Reply 29 of 83
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mike Eggleston:

<strong>

Hey, can you make a link to that thread?? I would love to see it!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

The whole <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000255"; target="_blank">sad story</a>.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well guys, if you noticed, I DIDN'T list the iBook in my "expensive stuff from Apple on its first initial unveiling" list above.

You're right: the iBook is, in my opinion, just about the perfect thing in Apple's current line-up, as far as features/price ratio.

And yes, I'm completely aware that the Cinema Display has dropped $1500 since its introduction. But that's ALSO what I was talking about: when has Apple INITIALLY unveiled a product with a reasonable price (save the iBook), not 1-2 years AFTER the fact (and allowing for incremental price drops).

Next fall, when the iPod is going for $279, you'll know what I'm talking about.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 31 of 83
    Is 1.5 Ghz even possible with the G4? The SOI will help but 867 to 1.5 is almost doubling the processer speed in 6 months. I bet if we see G4 PowerMacs at MWSF they will top out at the very highest 1.4 Ghz. (and even that is a show of massive faith in Motorola.)
  • Reply 32 of 83
    I was just wondering, if Apple releases a 19" LCD, what would it's resolution be?

After all, the 17" already has 1280x1024, and the 22" is 1600x1024, so the 19" wouldn't be able to be a full 1600x1200, for that would be more pixels than the 22" widescreen.

I suppose there are two options.

1) increase the 22" resolution, which should be done anyway, in my opinion, maybe something in the 2xxx range by 15xx pixels. This would allow the 19" to be a full 1600x1200.

2) make the new 19" an in-between resolution like 1400x1050 and keep the 22" the same. I hope Apple does not do this because many 15" PC laptops have this resolution and they look good (screen image). So a 19" LCD should have a higher resolution than that.

Thoughts?

-'pert
  • Reply 33 of 83
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I posted this too in the 'mwsf predictions' thread.

Apple has been having crazy monitor promotions, going even stronger now.

Clear sign of change... and can you guess WHY?

The monitors have to match the casing of the new PowerMac... which in turn means, yes, you guessed it, NEW PowerMacs.

Now.. if we want to keep going with this we would think that a NEW enclosre and monitors to match means something BIG... which would make me believe that nothing short of G5 would cause.

Apple surprised the hell out of us when they presented the G4, they can do it again in 2 weeks.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by G5_guy:

<strong>Is 1.5 Ghz even possible with the G4? The SOI will help but 867 to 1.5 is almost doubling the processer speed in 6 months.</strong><hr></blockquote>Exactly. No way the Apollo, with a relatively minor change, is going to shoot up to 1.5 Ghz. I'd say 1.2 at most, and that's a long shot. Higher than that will require the G5 and its increased pipelines and smaller manufacturing process.

Remember the predictions for MWNY? Dual 1Ghz, blah blah blah. I'm trying to guess whether this MW will be a bigger let-down than that one. I suppose the iMac will steal the show.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member

<strong>And yes, I'm completely aware that the Cinema Display has dropped $1500 since its introduction. But that's ALSO what I was talking about: when has Apple INITIALLY unveiled a product with a reasonable price (save the iBook), not 1-2 years AFTER the fact (and allowing for incremental price drops).]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well just look back at the INTRO of the 22" Apple Cinema Display. Before Apples intro (at Seybold?) the SGI was selling a 21" widescreen for TWICE what Apple introed the 22" at. Boy I'll bet SGI and it's resellers were pissed... Overnight their inventory of 21" SGI displays lost half their value.

Dave
  • Reply 36 of 83
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:

<strong>

Well just look back at the INTRO of the 22" Apple Cinema Display. Before Apples intro (at Seybold?) the SGI was selling a 21" widescreen for TWICE what Apple introed the 22" at. Boy I'll bet SGI and it's resellers were pissed... Overnight their inventory of 21" SGI displays lost half their value.

Dave</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, it was a 17.3", and sold for less than $3000...(The Cinema debuted at $4000)

Alex
  • Reply 37 of 83
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Will the 19" be widescreen like the cinema display or like the 17" ?
  • Reply 38 of 83
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>I posted this too in the 'mwsf predictions' thread.

Apple has been having crazy monitor promotions, going even stronger now.

Clear sign of change... and can you guess WHY?

The monitors have to match the casing of the new PowerMac... which in turn means, yes, you guessed it, NEW PowerMacs.

Now.. if we want to keep going with this we would think that a NEW enclosre and monitors to match means something BIG... which would make me believe that nothing short of G5 would cause.

Apple surprised the hell out of us when they presented the G4, they can do it again in 2 weeks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I posted about this in another thred, but it makes more sense here.

I was able to talk to an employee of one of the Apple stores here in Silicon Vally (there are two hear, next to the mother campus)

He was off duty, and he knows I'm a big mac guy.

The things that he mentioned that have to do with this post:

Apple has changed the way they do upgrades. Jobs figured it's become way too easy to predict what will be changed because they would always lower the cost of the product before they upgraded it. So now, we hav eALL products with promotions. Apple will also be relying on a lot more "special events" like the iPod, and basic releases such as the TiBooks Combo Drive.

As for monitors: He menitoned that (and he also said that he can't confirm it, but it's what he's guessing, as an employee of the OFFICCIAL apple store - especially so close to Apple HQ - The manager is a cousin of S.J.) - He mentioned that he would see the following lineup of monitors:

17 inch

19 inch

22 inch

27 inch (yes, 27 inches)

Reason being: Apple likes to be at the head of the classroom for monitors- they were the first with the 22 inch, now they will be the first with the 27 inch.

Price will range up to $4000 for the 27inch.

ANdrew
  • Reply 39 of 83
    Hmm..sorry but I'm afraid Apollo does not scale to 1.5 GHz so this information can not be taken seriously. Plus, Apple would never have gaps of 300 MHz in the line. Believe a source from Motorola? That sounds more reasonable, does it not?
  • Reply 40 of 83
    ...what would the resolution be on the 19" display?

[P.S. a 27" display is not possible because of the limitation of the bandwidth in the Apple Connector].

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Mando Gomez ]</p>