Upgrading Powerbook memory?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a 1.5 Ghz Powerbook G4 with the 15-inch screen and it came with 512 megs of RAM. Is the addition of an additioinal 256 or 512 of memory an easy enough task? This is my first Mac and I've never added memory to a computer before, so this is new territory for me.

Does my Powerbook have an open slot where I could plug in more memory in a zero-hassel upgrade?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Your powerbook has two slots. Your 512 is either one ram card or two 256 cards. eitherway, changing it is easy. Unscrew the panel on the back. slip the cards in and out in a 45 degree angle. do not apply force.

Here is the official PDF...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jessearljessearl Posts: 103member
    New, thanks for the reply.

Next question: Is memory generic or do I have to buy a specific model(s)?

Recommendations, with price being a chief concern, are appreciated.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by jessearl

New, thanks for the reply.

Next question: Is memory generic or do I have to buy a specific model(s)?

Recommendations, with price being a chief concern, are appreciated.

Buy a qualitiy brand. Kingston is good i believe. make sure you buy the right kind. In your case I think it's the SoDimm 333 / PC2700 type.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks for the tips.

Another question, if it says I have two memory expansion slots, does that mean:

A. that currently I have two open slots where memory can be placed

B. Or, that the current 512 megs of memory which are split into two 256 chips, take up those two memory expansion slots and thus at least one must be removed to make room for the addition of a larger that 256 memory chip?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by jessearl

Thanks for the tips.

Another question, if it says I have two memory expansion slots, does that mean:

A. that currently I have two open slots where memory can be placed

B. Or, that the current 512 megs of memory which are split into two 256 chips, take up those two memory expansion slots and thus at least one must be removed to make room for the addition of a larger that 256 memory chip?

If you know that your 512 came in two 256's, than yes, you'll have to remove at least one of them. Which is always annoying to find out for the first time.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

If you know that your 512 came in two 256's, than yes, you'll have to remove at least one of them. Which is always annoying to find out for the first time.

Rather annoying, yes.