Which Mac should I get?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i really want to get a mac because im into a lot of digital video and audio editting, not to mention a lot of photoshop, and i heard that they're the best. i was looking at the 15 in powerbook g4 w/ the superdrive. but u kno, 2500 is a lot of money. would i be able to get away with anything cheaper, or would i need to get the g4?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Sounds like you need a power mac G5
  • Reply 2 of 11
    The very minimum would be the PowerBook G4. I don't think anything cheaper will work very well.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    You could always do it, the most not honest way, and get a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 with education discount. Around 1799 then. You don't really have to be in education to get the discount. (That's what I've heard)
  • Reply 4 of 11
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Geez guys. I use an emac for these things and even an iBook does the job. You don't NEED a G5 for this but if you CAN afford it, get it.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    crap, I run PhotoshopElements, iMovie, etc on a G3 (4 year old) iBook running at 466mHtz....

ANY current mac is up to those tasks ... basically, the more expensive versions will simply be usefull for that much longer.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

You could always do it, the most not honest way, and get a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 with education discount. Around 1799 then. You don't really have to be in education to get the discount. (That's what I've heard)

an education discout would be very useful....please pm me with some addition information much appreciated
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slayer097

an education discout would be very useful....please pm me with some addition information much appreciated

I'd imagine that you'd just click the educational discounts on Apple.com and select a school.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    It's insane to recommend anything less than a new PowerBook G4 with a fast graphics card (9700 with 128MB VRAM) in 2004. While you can do (some) video editing and photoshop on older hardware, nothing guarantees it'll be smooth or pleasant at all.

If portability is an absolute requirement - get the PowerBook. If you can live with a big honkin' box, get the PowerMac G5 with dual processors that matches your wallet the best.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

It's insane to recommend anything less than a new PowerBook G4 with a fast graphics card (9700 with 128MB VRAM) in 2004. While you can do (some) video editing and photoshop on older hardware, nothing guarantees it'll be smooth or pleasant at all.

If portability is an absolute requirement - get the PowerBook. If you can live with a big honkin' box, get the PowerMac G5 with dual processors that matches your wallet the best.

It not insane, I do all this stuff, pleasantly, on my dad's girlfriend's 600 ibook. And I do it just fine on my 1.25GHz emac. But as I said before, if you can afford it, go for it.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zodiac

It not insane, I do all this stuff, pleasantly, on my dad's girlfriend's 600 ibook. And I do it just fine on my 1.25GHz emac. But as I said before, if you can afford it, go for it.

Yes, it is insane.

Yesterday, I had a small poster project going for the student association. Nothing huge, A3 format. Tools was iBook G4, Photoshop and InDesign, Safari. Editing the background image was a pain in Photoshop (converting to CMYK would almost choke the poor machine, for instance), and putting it together in InDesign wasn't exactly pleasant either. Not to mention that the machine choked again every time I test-exported the final poster to PDF. And this is just light editing, folks. Light editing.

If getting a PowerBook, be sure to BTO a faster hard-drive as well.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    How much ram did that iBook have?