What will be the new specs for the next PM line?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What do you all think will be the new specs for the next PM line? I soooo want to get a new PM, my 300mhz G3 is almost as ancient as the Rolling Stones...When is the next "unveiling" of new hardware suppose to be after Aug? Is it in Jan?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 281
    High end between 2.7 and 3.0 Ghz G5 (Note: this is only a 10% to 20% speed increase)

PCI Express

Intro: Jan-March 2005

Overall a nice, but not an overwhelming upgrade. If you're looking to buy a PowerMac I'd buy one now.
  • Reply 2 of 281
    My guess would be just a small step, like 2.0DP Base 2.5DP Mid 3.0DP High
  • Reply 3 of 281
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I say IBM would fix all he supple problems and the specs be all dual core. The low end is a dp 2.5 Ghz, mid dp 2.7 Ghz, and high dp 3.0 Ghz. With an release dat of January-March release.
  • Reply 4 of 281
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

I say IBM would fix all he supple problems and the specs be all dual core. The low end is a dp 2.5 Ghz, mid dp 2.7 Ghz, and high dp 3.0 Ghz. With an release dat of January-March release.

LOL "Release" and shipping in late Spring (i. e. end of Summer ... 8) )
  • Reply 5 of 281
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I'd guess it'd be something like this:

All duals;

Low-end

2.0 GHz processors

256MB DDR2 RAM (dual channel 533 MHz)

120 GB harddrive

X600 PCIe graphics card (standard) (128 MB)

Options for nVidia GF FX 6800 Ultra and ATI X800 Pro

Four RAM slots

Two harddrive slots (one free)

$1999

Mid-end

2.5 GHz processors

256MB DDR2 RAM (dual channel 667 MHz)

160 GB harddrive

Eight RAM slots (6 free)

$2499

High-end

2.8 GHz processors

512MB DDR2 RAM (dual channel 667 MHz)

250 GB harddrive

Eight RAM slots (6 free)

$2999

Announced in January 2005, low and mid-end shipped in February, high-end announced shipping in late February, but pushed back to late March, later for most customers.
  • Reply 6 of 281
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    OMG!! I think it's funny that even some of you think they will still not reach 3GHz on the next update.

Ohh...hohh..hohh... That would be such an embarrassment. (And your probably right they wont reach it but ->) You can bet your @ss IBM realizes that they failed, and everybody thinks this failure is an indication of how they run their operation, and it's a forecast of things to come from them.

IBM shouldn't give Apple anything less than 3GHz if they are half as smart as they want to be perceived by those pondering weather, or not to do business with them.

My spec list for next PM update.
    • Undecided

• Reply 7 of 281
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    They change in specs is that they change them from vaporware to shipping.

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 281
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Ohh...hohh..hohh... That would be such an embarrassment. (And your probably right they wont reach it but ->) You can bet your @ss IBM realizes that they failed, and everybody thinks this failure is an indication of how they run their operation, and it's a forecast of things to come from them.

IBM shouldn't give Apple anything less than 3GHz if they are half as smart as they want to be perceived by those pondering weather, or not to do business with them.

Of course they shouldn't, but I have very serious doubts they will, in any significant quantity. It's obvious that there are still problems shipping fast G5 processors. IMHO the probably likely to be gone by January 2005, but that's only for the parts that are currently shipped. With a new batch of wares, a new batch of problems come. :-)
  • Reply 9 of 281
    My hope is that we see the 2.5 dropping to entry level, a 3ghz at mid level and a 3.5ghz (of course all dual) at the top end.

I really doubt we'll see this but you never know.

[EDIT] Of course Apple/IBM may well announce the G6 (dual core G5) as the new top end and surprise everyone [/EDIT]
  • Reply 10 of 281
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

What do you all think will be the new specs for the next PM line? I soooo want to get a new PM, my 300mhz G3 is almost as ancient as the Rolling Stones...When is the next "unveiling" of new hardware suppose to be after Aug? Is it in Jan?

Buy now.

I did.

last week I finally ordered a dual 2 G5 to replace my 400 G3... Now I am playing the waiting game (which is nowhere near as fun as Hungry Hungry HIppo's) for it to arrive)

iDunno.
  • Reply 11 of 281
    I did the whole "Buy Now" thang when the G5's were announced and bought a single 1.8. Boy do I feel like a lemon now :s
  • Reply 12 of 281
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    What I can tell it's that my Dual 2.0 is enough for the next 2 years ! and I've bought it in august 2003... It's plenty of power !

I'm waiting now for the next BIG bump !

Something like a Dual G6 Dual-Core with HyperTreading (can you say 8 processors? ), PCI-Xpress, HyperTransport 2, DDR2, DualLayer SuperDrive and SATA2...

That will be a nice speed bump Hopefully IBM will be at 4 GHz by then (8x4 GHz... wow!)
  • Reply 13 of 281
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeromba

What I can tell it's that my Dual 2.0 is enough for the next 2 years ! and I've bought it in august 2003... It's plenty of power !

I'm waiting now for the next BIG bump !

Something like a Dual G6 Dual-Core with HyperTreading (can you say 8 processors? ), PCI-Xpress, HyperTransport 2, DDR2, DualLayer SuperDrive and SATA2...

That will be a nice speed bump Hopefully IBM will be at 4 GHz by then (8x4 GHz... wow!)

And what year do you think this will happen?
  • Reply 14 of 281
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I don't think Powermacs hit 3Ghz until 2H 2005. I think the lineup then will be all dual core. I think Apple's low end line will drop back down to $1599. I think the top Powermac will offer a total of 4 cores. I think the whole Powermac line will ship with blazin' fast 56k modems too
  • Reply 15 of 281
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Agree with zapchud and hmurchison. Top end won't hit 3GHz until late in 2005. But we will see some internal improvements e.g. PCI Express, Bluetooth standard, user-installable Airport Express, possibly 4 hard drives, possibly 2 optical drives.
  • Reply 16 of 281
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

And what year do you think this will happen?

Mmmhh something like summer 2006 (you know end of september)

If I look back Apple introduced the G3 in 1997, G4 in 1999 and the G5 in 2003 so it's between 2 and 4 years to have a new processor. So 3 years for the G6 sounds good to me.

PS: oh and for a Dual G5 @ 3 GHz it will be before next summer. At least when Tiger come out.
  • Reply 17 of 281
    spytapspytap Posts: 50member
    Would it be too much to ask for another optical drive? Hell, even the ability to put one in, if not the actual drive built in itself...
  • Reply 18 of 281
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spytap

Would it be too much to ask for another optical drive? Hell, even the ability to put one in, if not the actual drive built in itself...

Yea Id second that...
  • Reply 19 of 281
    Consider that idea officially thirded

I'd also like to see the top end PM shipping with an SLI solution. That would rock!
  • Reply 20 of 281
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    The next PM needs:

-DDR2 support

-PCIe support (drop AGP, 2xPCIe, 2xPCI-X)

-more internal space (4x3.5", 2x 5.25")

-SATA2

-decent graphics card standard (X600 and up)

if they manage to ship that, even if it's not at 3GHz, I'll buy it. Chances are, they won't hit 3GHz and won't upgrade even half of those points above.

Who else smells lemon?