Terminal Emulation

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does any one know of a terminal emulator for OS X? Some thing like facetwin.

http://www.facetcorp.com/fw_overview.html

-AG

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Never mind i found iterm on source forge. Hope this can at least help some one else.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/iterm/
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Um, maybe you should try /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app first?

Installed on every Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    I've been looking for a Terminal Emulator similar to KoalaTerm for interacting with a proprietary media booking system. I've tried different "terminal programs" like Terminal, iTerm, etc but nothing works.

Pretty sure it uses telnet to connect with the server but it never looks right, and doesn't function as expected. The only Mac in a Windows office I have to keep a PC close at hand to use KoalaTerm.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Um, maybe you should try /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app first?

Installed on every Mac.

Can you make it work like this?

http://www.facetcorp.com/fw_overview.html

The problem is not the term it is getting it to work like Facet Win. Facet win emulates a dummie terminal. that is what the PC users in the office use to get in to the accounting system.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Assuming that FacetWin actually emulates a straight compliant terminal (VT100, ANSI, etc), then yes.

File -> Connect To Server is what you're looking for.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agallant

Does any one know of a terminal emulator for OS X?

MacWise
  • Reply 7 of 10
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    I use the free tn3270 developed at Brown University.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    None of those worked for me. Grr, wish I understood this stuff. Its on a Windows box running through a telnet port. On every terminal emulator I've tried its been text gibberish. I'm able to see some words but it doesn't look anything like the screen in KoalaTerm.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I noticed that Slashdot recently had a discussion on the topic of Terminal emulators for OSX. A lot of good suggestions from people who have had trouble with trying to get certain emulations to work. You should check it out, see if anything helps.

There's some guy who talks about how certain emulations need a font with characters in the right order, and if you don't have that you get gibberish. He posted a link to an old Mac font set that did the trick for him.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

I noticed that Slashdot recently had a discussion on the topic of Terminal emulators for OSX. A lot of good suggestions from people who have had trouble with trying to get certain emulations to work. You should check it out, see if anything helps.

There's some guy who talks about how certain emulations need a font with characters in the right order, and if you don't have that you get gibberish. He posted a link to an old Mac font set that did the trick for him.

Yeah, I tried the font but it didn't work. Nothing could see the font, no applications so I couldn't select it to try. Tried all the emulators I could, but I do need an IBM character set plus VT 420 (IIRC) emulator to connect to the Windows server (running old DOS software).