Apple seeks iPod engineer with WiFi, video integration experience

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer is looking to hire a new member for its iPod hardware engineering division that is experienced in integrating both various wireless communication technologies as well as video.

Several iPod enthusiast have recently uncovered a fresh Apple job listing for an iPod Hardware System Integrator that requires experience in areas previously unchartered by the digital music player.

"The iPod group is looking for a Hardware Engineer," Apple says in the job description. "This person will be an individual contributor on a top notch team with responsibilities for the design, implementation, and integration of digital and analog electronics."

Further down in the listing, Apple says, "Experience in the following areas is important: system integration, digital logic, SDRAM, Flash, ASIC?s, processor selection, ATAPI, various communication protocols (ie: GSM, Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11, Firewire, and USB), display types and video and analog integration."

While the job listing does not explicitly imply that the next-generation iPod will be capable of displaying video and connecting to WiFi networks, it does indicate that the company is at least experimenting with the technologies inside its iPod division.

According to Apple, the job will also require some international travel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Hmm. an interesting prospect. the only major problem with 802.11 as we know it is that it consumes a lot of power while active. Most modern chipsets are pretty good at running in sleep mode whenever possible, though.

As wireless standard that goes beyond an RS232 (or similar) wire replacement, Bluetooth is dead. Don't expect it on the iPod unless it's a bonus feature for integrating calendars, or for something along those lines.

GSM would be for a cellualr use, which is a direction I don't see Apple taking. Hever, there are a fair amount of SiP platforms out there today (System-in-Package) that combine WiFi, Bluetooth, and GSM for rapid development and implementation. But in the end I don't see Apple taking this approach unless they revise their general strategy of providing excellent core functionality and no bloat.

But there is a big possibility for a video iPod device that is essentially a PDATDNS. (If you know me, you'll known that means "That doesn't suck.") Video, LAN connectivity, etc in a device that is slightly larger than the current iPod. It wouldn't be difficult to run a 320x240 screen on a small outline device which can do all that. Furthermore, it's interesting to note that it looks like Apple would be going with the decentralized ASIC approach rather than the XScale module approach, which is to some extent the flavor of the times. (generally better for battery life unless you manage to build a specialized processor, but at the cost of longer development time and a need for real engineers rather than dime-a-dozen coders)

Anyway, my verdict is that the video iPod may well have lightweight PDA functionality as well, along with email synchonization or something along those lines. If it has GSM, it will be the ultimate Blackberry killer.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    They had an iPod job opening for someone with video codec experience months ago. Did the first person not pan out, or do they need more elves to work with the person who got the first job?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

According to Apple, the job will also require some international travel

I'm good at that. The job is MINE!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    vr6vr6 Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

While the job listing does not explicitly imply that the next-generation iPod will be capable of displaying video and connecting to WiFi networks, it does indicate that the company is at least experimenting with the technologies inside its iPod division.

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Wow, the job posting implies that iTunes will connect to WiFi networks!?!? Could you imagine if maybe apple released a WiFi connector to connect your iTunes library to wirelessly to your stereo. Maybe they could call it ExpressTunes or airExpress, or wait, I've got it (drumroll please): AirPort Express with AirTunes!!!

Please move along, there's nothing to see here.