How Do I Turn My iPod Off (All The Way)?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2015
I know to turn the ipod off (4th Gen) I hold down play/pause but the next time I use it the menu is ready right away...which means it must keep the os and the song I paused in memory....doesn't that drain the battery to keep that there all night and day till you next use it?

I remember the 1st gen ipod when my friend turned it off the next time he would start it you would see the apple logo for the first 15 secs then it would go into the menu. With my 4th Gen it's ready all the time which means the battery is active all the time also :-\\

So is there a sure way of putting it to sleep?

Thanks.

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Being an owner of an iPod for over a year I have no idea!!

I think when it is sleeping it is using a very small amount of power, so most people are happy to do this.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
  • Reply 3 of 20
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    The ipod is always on.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    This is from another forum where i asked the same question.

"Hi

It shuts off, sometimes called deep sleep, after 36 hours of non-use. Mine uses so very little battery power while in regular sleep mode."

Anyone know here if this is true? Anyone have the 4th Gen ipod off for that long to find out?

Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    You wanna go all the way with your iPod huh? Kinky.

Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

This is from another forum where i asked the same question.

"Hi

It shuts off, sometimes called deep sleep, after 36 hours of non-use. Mine uses so very little battery power while in regular sleep mode."

Anyone know here if this is true? Anyone have the 4th Gen ipod off for that long to find out?

Thanks.

With a 3g yes. Hadn't heard of the 36 hour thing before. I guess it's a kind of deep sleep but I've always thought of it as the battery being drained to the point where the iPod has to shut down to protect the contents of memory the same way a laptop would. I figured the day or two it takes before it goes into deep sleep was because that was how long it was taking to run the battery down in regular sleep mode. The battery meter always shows empty when it's done this with mine.

Anyway, assuming the sleep thing is the same for 3rd and 4th gens, the poster above who said the iPod is always on is right. The regular sleep mode from holding down play/pause is as off as it gets. I wouldn't worry about the battery drain. You can see for yourself how little power it uses. Fully charge the battery, play a bit of a song, pause it then put the iPod to sleep. Wait and see how long it takes before it goes into deep sleep.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    I just got the ipod a few days ago i can't keep my hands off it i can't leave it alone for 48hours to see if that is true! :-)

I'm sure someone out there has.....oh well...My ipod did crash it self last night when i was playing the music quiz game on it...it restarted it self so that was the only other time i have seen it start from the top :-)
  • Reply 7 of 20
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    There isn't such thing as deep sleep. After 48 hours of non use( does not count when plugged in all the time) it will shut down completely. Thats why when you start the ipod back up after 2 days it boots up at the apple logo.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Only thing left that isn't right (everything else is perfect) is that the hold button on the ipod is smooth and so my finger can't make it slide over unless I get a finger nail in there and push it in the side then slide :-\\

The 1st and 2ed gen ones had a small bump in there hold buttons and so was easier to grip.

Apart from these two things i'm a happy person with my new ipod. It's my first and it was worth the wait. Now I have a ipod I feel more free when playing music in that I can pick anything that pops in to my head that i'd like to hear....where with my MD that wasn't the case :-)

Long live the iPod! You have freed music!

Frank_t 8)
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

I just got the ipod a few days ago i can't keep my hands off it i can't leave it alone for 48hours to see if that is true!

For me, this "can't put it down" period lasted about 12 months! They were a lot more pricey back then and after considering losing it or some other terrible fate befalling it, I made sure I always had enough money put aside to buy a new one because I was convinced I would shrivel up and die without it.

I still think I'd shrivel up and die without it but they're no longer in the price range where I'd have to sell a kidney to replace it at short notice, so I'm a little more relaxed about it.

Deep sleep, shut down, 36, 48 hours, whatever I think it's just about the battery charge falling to a level where it won't let you play it anymore without recharging. Same things happens if you just drain the battery while playing.

BTW if I remember correctly, it's not recommended you let the battery "fully" discharge like this too often. http://www.ipodlounge.com/index.php has a battery tips page. Check there.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    bjadebjade Posts: 1member
    Hold Down Play/Pause Button For 5 Seconds till screen caues black.to make sure off pass your hand on scroll screen dont click menu or next or play/pauseit works like sleep except your battery dont go down and your ipod is completely off
  • Reply 11 of 20
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Well I'm glad we got that cleared up... 4 years later.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    wayne23wayne23 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frank_t View Post

I know to turn the ipod off (4th Gen) I hold down play/pause but the next time I use it the menu is ready right away...which means it must keep the os and the song I paused in memory....doesn't that drain the battery to keep that there all night and day till you next use it?

Frank_t

First you can reset your iPod

* 1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

* 2. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

If you cannot recover your iPod you can restore it with iTunes.
  • Reply 13 of 20

and now for another 4 years gone by...

• Reply 14 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacki Miller View Post

and now for another 4 years gone by...

Mind giving us a reason you decided to necro this thread? Because you haven't provided one yet. image

• Reply 15 of 20

Hold the poser button on top left..down for 6 sec or more.. then you will see the turn off power button that you slide to the right.. turned off!!!  YEAH!

• Reply 16 of 20

to turn off.. hold power button on top left.. down for 6 sec or more.. then the turn off poser will come up and slide bar to the right.. TURNED OFF !!!!

• Reply 17 of 20

turn it off frank..by holding the power button on the top left down for 6 sec or more.. then it will ask if you want to turn it off..slide the bar to the right and it turns off

• Reply 18 of 20

hold down the power button on top left.. for 6 sec or more..it will ask if you want to turn off ..slide the bar to right and it turns off

• Reply 19 of 20

Turn it off..by holding down the power button on top left.. for 6 sec or more..it will ask..and slide the bar to the right..and it turns off

• Reply 20 of 20

i find a brick or a microwave does the job! yes i know its only 3 years since the last reply but hey sue me lol