What could this be?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 525
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Wasn't that fun? And definitely worth it.

Here's a summary of the photos:

First photo was definately modified in Photoshop 7. The second in Photoshop CS for Macintosh. Hmmm.....

I still am not buying it.
  • Reply 102 of 525
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
  • Reply 103 of 525
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TofuTodd

iPoster, do you own a 20" Cinema Display? Once you do you'll really want it on your wall. My desks are usally so cluttered my drives can't open on eMac or iMac. Can you imagine, not having to own seperate desks, or one massive desk? If you can't, then buy the optional stand! I want my computer to hover over anywhere I want it. Why the investment in a LCD just to have it sit in the middle of your desk with 10 inches of empty space behind it???

It sure would be a real pleasure standing up and reaching all the way to the wall to slide a cd in to the slot loading driv on the side

Edit: i can't spell.
  • Reply 104 of 525
    Why would anyone go to the risk of opening the box and taking these pictures without looking at the label on the box?? Also apple always has a nice picture of the product that lies inside on the front of the box. Why not snap a picture of the front of the box?? Even if they didn't snap a picture of the front surly they would have seen it and been able to easily identify the item. I believe the person taking the pictures meant to mislead. Could the pictures be any worse in terms of identifying the item? It is as if they went to great lengths to not reveal what the item is. I believe this is nothing more than one of the new displays. I compared it closely to high res photos of the new displays. Some on this board claim the bezel width and display's thickness are not right. They are wrong. Its dead nuts on. The tab that seems to be sticking out from the back of the monitor in the second picture is nothing more than the protective plastic wrap covering the back of the display, ready to be pulled off. The only difference between the object in the mystery pictures and the apple displays is the apple logo which appears to be white in one of the pictures. Most people reading this could probably do that in Photoshop in just a few minutes. There is little doubt in my mind that this is nothing more than a typical, wish it were true, run of the mill hoax.
  • Reply 105 of 525
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Yeah, too many things don't add up. No pic of the box? No front-on shots? No rear-end shots? (Keep it to yourself....) Styrofoam doesn't seem to fit product? Photoshop jobs on both pics? No apparent slots or jacks of any kind?

It ain't an iMac, that's for damn sure.
  • Reply 106 of 525
    2 weeks ago my mate told me that his brother was going over to work in paris for a few days. His brother works as a contractor in air freight in the UK and all I can remember from the conversation is that he was quite suprised that he was going to Paris as its normally the UK airports he works at. This was just small talk in the pub so I wasnt that interested to be honest but now Ive seen those pics Im starting to wonder......

Rang my mate 10 minutes ago and his brother went to france on tuesday and gets back on sunday. Unloading apple products maybe????

As for the packaging, we have a 17" powerbook at work and the box is flat matt and not reflective like the one posted. The polystyrene packaging has been thrown though so unable to clarify that point. If this is the work of a prankster then he has gone to great effort in his photoshop work cus I cant see the obvious and I work in photoshop everyday.

My vote is for genuine but a genuine what????????????????
  • Reply 107 of 525
    how about the arm is similar to a level, the iMac folds up against the wall when not in use, and down to hover over the desk when you want it. i don't know about you, but i can easily touch the wall behind my desk while sitting. And acutally, I have to bend more to reach under my desk to my powermac G5. and who says the cd-rom drive is built in, the low end one according to TS isn't. I don't want an interal drive. I want an external one...

the 3G iMac was, according to jobs, supposed to hover in air over your desk. The base was the only intrusion. I think we'll see a option for wall mounting of some type, just like the cinema displays.

and why would an unreleased product have a final box? it's likely just a shipping box, apple logo, black, not more. would apple really ship the new iMacs in a big box plastered with imac photos and specs????

I'm not even talking about the photos anymore, they may not be legit, but just consider what you think apple does.
  • Reply 108 of 525
    He may well have gone to france to unload apple stuff... but for gods sake! They're putting on a big expo! There's going to be tons of stuff to unpack and set up and ship here there and everywhere!!! It's not like they're gonna turn up with a couple of tables and chairs is it?!?
  • Reply 109 of 525
    Holy Crap. hehe. Even if this ain't the real thing, I think it's close.
  • Reply 110 of 525
  • Reply 111 of 525
    yes, the bump in the box is not polystyrene, it is the white plastic clothlike protective bag folded back that all apple machines come in.

agreed monkey, i don't care as much if the pics are fake or not, they're right on i think.
  • Reply 112 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by lucida

ugh. Spot the odd one out:

The blue one, with the wrong logo, which doesn't actually exist and that has no ports.
  • Reply 113 of 525
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Wasn't that fun? And definitely worth it.

Here's a summary of the photos:

First photo was definately modified in Photoshop 7. The second in Photoshop CS for Macintosh. Hmmm.....

I still am not buying it.

More to add to the summary:

Camera: Eastman Kodak DC4800 ZOOM Digital Camera

First Photo: DCP_1763.JPG

Date Time Original: 2004:08:23 12:18:52

Date Time Digitized: 2004:08:23 12:18:52

Date Time: 2004:08:23 14:38:17 (last saved I presume)

Second Photo: DCP_1764.JPG

Date Time Original: 2004:08:26 12:19:57

Date Time Digitized: 2004:08:26 12:19:57

Date Time: 2004:08:26 17:45:17 (last saved I presume)

So the photo (first photo) was taken at 12:18:52 on the 23rd and saved in photoshop also on the 23rd but at 14:38:17 and it took 3 days to make it public...

and then the second photo was taken 3 days later???

Sorry but I too have to claim HOAX now... unless philbots buddy STOLE the box **or** have been unloading them for the past 3 days in a row...

And while he/she took the time to take a single photo of the thing on the 23rd and then a followup single photo on the 26th didn't think to take a photo of the box that would have a GOOD photo of proof (an Apple marketing shot) and the NAME of the product nor did the person think to take a picture of the 'connector side' of the unit.

The aging pessimist in me has to say bzzzt!

Dave
  • Reply 114 of 525
    Then why did Apple pull all the photos from the .Mac sites? Come on guys thats an incredibly CPU-intensive thing to do...sift thru traffic and pick out single photos. They wouldn't do it without a good reason.
  • Reply 115 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by barathron

The tab that seems to be sticking out from the back of the monitor in the second picture is nothing more than the protective plastic wrap covering the back of the display, ready to be pulled off. The only difference between the object in the mystery pictures and the apple displays is the apple logo which appears to be white in one of the pictures.

Funny now that you pointed it out I can see what you mean... funny it's almost an optical illusion (to my tired eyes anyway).

As for the new displays and this? Well the new displays have legs while this doesn't.

Finally the Apple displays have a flat backside...

http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html

Dunno still think it's prob. a hoax (just going by historic data most usually are)

Dave
  • Reply 116 of 525
    7e77e7 Posts: 146member
    Quote:

Originally posted by StealthRider

Then why did Apple pull all the photos from the .Mac sites? Come on guys thats an incredibly CPU-intensive thing to do...sift thru traffic and pick out single photos. They wouldn't do it without a good reason.

Perhaps this guy pulled it to make his photos look like they are the real deal. I think a lot of these sites who pull their stuff down "at the request of Apple Legal" aren't really doing it because Apple demanded that they do it. They just want to bring attention to their websites and such.

I think this thing is a fake. Why wouldn't you take more pictures instead of teasing us with just these two taken at almost the exact same angle - which are not really all that revealing in terms of the details of the product? Why not take a picture of the front of the box?
  • Reply 117 of 525
    I think Steve's bored at home and he's pulling our collective leg, hehe.

He's getting a good laugh out of this.
  • Reply 118 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by StealthRider

They are doing nothing of the kind...

I just tested it and the photos show up just fine... I'd post the link but first it has my last name in it and second I can't afford to have my .mac account go bad (or get taken down)...

I'm not lying... .mac isn't doing any photo scanning for CRCs or any such nonsense.

Dave
  • Reply 119 of 525
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Reminds me of the spymac newton video.
  • Reply 120 of 525
    Quote:

Why wouldn't you take more pictures instead of teasing us with just these two taken at almost the exact same angle - which are not really all that revealing in terms of the details of the product? Why not take a picture of the front of the box

Well... in theory it could be a tease by an Apple employee... like someone giving a vague description to one of these rumor sites.