Your 4G iPod has wireless built in....

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    curmicurmi Posts: 70member
    Bluetooth is only short range, so making an iPod with bluetooth is not particularly useful as a remote.

Unless the "plug in" antenna is a beast that gives the bluetooth huge range.

Otherwise it would make more sense to have 802.11 support built in. Since I'm pretty sure that isn't the case, then maybe there would be an 802.11 plugin.

It needs to be two way. That is, the iPod can send a signal to tell iTunes on your main computer to play the next song - but it also needs to receive a list of songs to choose from - this is where 802.11 is better, as you can get updates faster. But it will suck power quicker.

And if the iPod becomes a remote, why not make the "plug in" wireless card also do IR. Then the iPod becomes a universal remote like nothing else out there - IR and 802.11.

However, you do have to question the resulting interface. Is a scroll wheel and menu system appropriate for a remote control interface? It may be too limiting - everything through menus, no tactile feedback beyond the 4 buttons, you have to look at iPod screen to work out what the control will do, etc.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curmi

Bluetooth is only short range, so making an iPod with bluetooth is not particularly useful as a remote.

Bluetooth range can be a bit longer at times.....

http://www.wifi-toys.com/wi-fi.php?a=articles&id=21
  • Reply 23 of 40
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    I don't buy it. If it was wireless ready why wouldn't they just say so right from the beginning? And why go to the trouble of putting a headphone jack on the top of it? Nah. Crap.

iDunno.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Hey there I'm new, I'm a regular over at MacTeens if anybody knows about that, but here's my take on the situation:

Apple for some unknown reason, introduced a new proprietary 30 pin plug into the 3g iPods, now for what reason would they need 30 pins, when a 6 pin firewire port was doing just fine with the 1st and 2nd generations, especially since they didn't add any new connective features. This could only be as an add on for later perheferals.

-Chris
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Well I'm not sure that the 4G iPods have BT, but a BT remote could be quite handy, and the range could be OK.

I have an old B&W G3 set up as a server, and I have it running Sailing Clicker so I can use my T610 as a remote for Airtunes.

I have to say that I have been very pleasantly surprised by the range. :o)

The iPod interface could make a very intuitive iTunes remote control, and it would be quite the gadget...
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Not wishing to interfere, but if memory serves me correctly, I remember my friend who used to work for Apple, telling me that the Boss (note the capital B) is His Steveness. As the above post referred to the 'Boss', and he/she mentioned that he did not want the 'Boss' to find out, and as His Steveness is well known for going pyschotic at people revealing stuff on the net/press, one can safely conclude that, if genuine, the person does indeed work for Apple. I'd say it ties in pretty well. After all, AirTunes isn't all that cool without some form of remote (motorola mobiles notwithstanding), and it would be the sort of thing Apple would do.

If so, I can well understand the above poster's unwillingess to get caught, since Steve will probably gut, drawn and quarter him, and sacifice his first born (and 2nd, 3rd etc) for letting this out.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    This generation may not, but future generations might... URL
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wizard_Drongo

one can safely conclude that, if genuine, the person does indeed work for Apple.

How easily some are fooled.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Since the information I've been given was from an Apple employee,

HOLY F*CKING SHIT, AN APPLE INSIDER POSTING AT APPLEINSIDER.COM! This is a great day for...well, never mind...

• Reply 30 of 40
    Product #1

AirPod.

Summary: airport wireless add-on for iPod.

Attaches to bottom of iPod via dock connector.

Mates cleanly; appears to make the iPod ~1 inch taller.

Powered via 4G iPod's "enhanced" battery.

Requires 4G iPod; earlier models not supported.

Streams iPod audio via AirTunes to Airport Express.

Capable of streaming at line level or with volume control.

Enables wireless iPod syncing.

Includes "pass through" dock connector on bottom, allowing iPod, with AirPod attached, to operate while docked or with other external dock connector power source. Additional dock connector accessories can therefore be "piggy-backed" onto AirPod.

$99

Product #2

AirPort RoadTrip (with AirTunes)

Summary: Airport Express for the auto market.

Patches into audio head unit.

Compatible with select current autos and numerous after-market products.

4G iPod with AirPod will stream wireless, digital-quality audio to audio system via RoadTrip.

WiFi-enabled Mac or Win portables can also wirelessly stream audio to Airport RoadTrip using iTunes with AirTunes.

$99

Product #3

AirPort RoadTrip Accessory Kit:

AirPort RoadTrip connection cable.

Universal iPod auto mounting clip.

Cigarette lighter adapter; connects to dock port on AirPod; can be used to power or charge iPod.

$79
  • Reply 31 of 40
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by paulumos

Product #1

AirPod.

Summary: airport wireless add-on for iPod.

Attaches to bottom of iPod via dock connector.

Mates cleanly; appears to make the iPod ~1 inch taller.

Powered via 4G iPod's "enhanced" battery.

Requires 4G iPod; earlier models not supported.

Streams iPod audio via AirTunes to Airport Express.

Capable of streaming at line level or with volume control.

Enables wireless iPod syncing.

Includes "pass through" dock connector on bottom, allowing iPod, with AirPod attached, to operate while docked or with other external dock connector power source. Additional dock connector accessories can therefore be "piggy-backed" onto AirPod.

$99

Product #2

AirPort RoadTrip (with AirTunes)

Summary: Airport Express for the auto market.

Patches into audio head unit.

Compatible with select current autos and numerous after-market products.

4G iPod with AirPod will stream wireless, digital-quality audio to audio system via RoadTrip.

WiFi-enabled Mac or Win portables can also wirelessly stream audio to Airport RoadTrip using iTunes with AirTunes.

$99

Product #3

AirPort RoadTrip Accessory Kit:

AirPort RoadTrip connection cable.

Universal iPod auto mounting clip.

Cigarette lighter adapter; connects to dock port on AirPod; can be used to power or charge iPod.

$79

i like the airpod, though typical it won't work with my 3g ipod.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

i like the airpod, though typical it won't work with my 3g ipod.

You know he just made that stuff up, right?
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

You know he just made that stuff up, right?

Absolutely. Equal parts prediction and wish list.

If there are truly hidden features yet to be unveiled in the 4G iPod, a wireless add-on seems like a good candidate and in keeping with the direction Apple is heading. I think I've suggested one with very reasonable and feasible features.

Apple has said they're going to introduce more and better solutions to utilize an iPod in a wider range of cars. I'd like to see a wireless in-car connection, but I don't know if that's realistic, or if it would end-up being an elegant solution. A number of things potentially interfere with the WiFi network in my house (cordless phone, microwave, etc). I would think that taking a WiFi network "on the road" would only introduce many more potential sources of interference. Perhaps bluetooth would be an option; I'm not really familiar with its bandwidth or distance limitations. Whether the coming solutions are wired or unwired, I hope they offer full access, rather than the 5 playlists that the current BMW solution offers.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rongold

webmail, are you talking about Zeevo's new small one chip Bluetooth solution??

This is the only cool hardware based possibility that I can think of and may elude investigation since it's just one small chip and the company markings might be unrecognizable.

This thing would be cool though at only $5 dollars a chip for Apple Computer and then you could transmit CD-quality sound to provide wireless connections to stereo headphones, headsets, or speakers without sacrificing audio quality.

This would be a close call though because as far as I can tell, Zeevo started shipping these on the same day that Apple Computer announced the new 4G iPod.

You know, it IS interesting that HP's new Photosmart 375 printer for the iPod is BlueTooth capable.

• Reply 35 of 40
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    What if Apple was to incorporate Bluetooth in the iPod for an easy and elegant solution to bringing your iTunes into your vehicle. Everybody listens to tunes in their car.

Certainly, financially beneficial ? saving them from developing a solution for every automobile manufacturer.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

I don't buy it. If it was wireless ready why wouldn't they just say so right from the beginning? And why go to the trouble of putting a headphone jack on the top of it? Nah. Crap.

iDunno.

Because some crazy people would still use plain ole wired headphones or earphones before getting a new pair of Bluetooth-compatible, of which you wouldn't even have a guarantee of a qualtiy manufacturer.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I dont think you can sneak that kind of stuff on without giving the box markings or something..

It would produce radio waves, and that ain't no good, so it would have to have some kind of WARNING or something like all the other WiFi or Bluetooth products have.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

I dont think you can sneak that kind of stuff on without giving the box markings or something..

unless it isnt being used until a future firware upgrade... or maybe some additional necessary hardware.