**MWSF 2002**

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    Well that's a cool idea, but I'm afraid if Apple did that it would be just like the iPod and be way overpriced. So in that case, spare us Steve.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Well that's a cool idea, but I'm afraid if Apple did that it would be just like the iPod and be way overpriced. So in that case, spare us Steve.</strong><hr></blockquote>

...and wouldn't this be a similar case as with the long-rumored Apple PDA? It sounds like a great idea until you look at the sheer global competition, not to mention whether Apple can bring anything remotely unique to the table. iPhoto, anyone?

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Caler ]</p>
  • Reply 43 of 56
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    While I'm itchin' to replace my Ti 500 with a 667, the difference isn't enough to push me over the edge (being laid off doesn't help either). I will put my money where my mouth is however once G5s are released...

So will they make it out for MWSF? I don't think will get G5s across the line and I don't think Stevie would release a mixed batch of pro machines, some G4 and some G5. Then again YIKES! style G5s until we get a complete G5 line is somewhat appealing...

Oh well, more waiting... more time for rambling!
  • Reply 44 of 56
    One program that everyone forgets is QuickTime. I think that QuickTime will get a MAJOR update at MWSF 2002
  • Reply 45 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by Ifok5:

<strong>One program that everyone forgets is QuickTime. I think that QuickTime will get a MAJOR update at MWSF 2002</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am not too sure about this. Unless Apple is planning on doing something really impressive with it, I just haven't seen anything out there that could cause me to want for a Quicktime 6. Then again, predicting Quicktime improvements was never my strong point.

As for the digital device mentioned so many times earlier. I don't think it is going to be a camera. Steve hasn't had much success with those, remember? Anyways, what I think it is going to be is *And you hear a drumroll....* in fact a camcorder. The reason why is for what reason do you need a digital camera when almost all of the digital camcorders have built in it a digital camera?? So, I could see Apple trying this out.

I am going to repeat this (from a different thread though). I don't think that a LCD iMac is any time soon. The economy just isn't there. Now, for a CRT-based iMac with a G4 in it with G5 PowerMacs, I could see that.

But then again, I haven't gotten my ACME Crystal Ball yet in the mail.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    You guys are going to be profoundly disappointed in January then because Apple has produced nothing but incremental improvements for ages now.

Here is what I predict will happen.

Duel 1 gig G4 high end

933 g4 mid range

867 g4 new low end

more screaming and cursing from Mac masses as Apple refuses to give a nickle anyplace in their line up and decide to still leave the 867 with no level 3 cache. First two levels have superdrives and benevolet Apple decides to finally give low end a DVD/CDR drive which everyone immediately complains has a slow write speed.

Because of the terrible economic climate, slowing sales, and everyone screaming that their 30%+ profit rate, Apple finally lops $100 off the entire line which has everyone singing gloriously because the Pro line now starts at a whole $1599 again.(Still no DDR and still GF2mx card though they bump them to 64 megs and twin view across the line)

The iMac line has abysmal sales but Apple refuses to give up the 15 inch model because they know it would bite into the sales of the ridiculously overpriced towers. There are some small concessions however in an attempt to bring up sales.

iMac@700, 800 and 900 (yes still 100 mhz bus)

15inch monitor (yes, still no lcd)

32 meg gf2mx200 (lower speed MX)

cd-r with dvd/cd-r option available

In a move to boost iMac sales, Apple will finally allow video out and not just mirroring on the iMac. The Gf2mx card supports this natively and Apple looks like a genius for shipping it. Steve Jobs declares another innovation because now the entire line has duel display support.

Pricing is $699 (low end education version)$899,999, and $1099 with $125 more being charged for BTO combo DVD,CD-R drive. Everyone is a little pissed because Apple is overcharging for the drive, some declare that Apple is justified, other declare they will buy a firewire enclosure and drive at their local computer show.

Nick
  • Reply 47 of 56
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    If you believe that why then is Apple really trying to clear their inventry of iMacs and Powermacs.

New products have been introduced before but never has old stock been sold with so much gusto?
  • Reply 48 of 56
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    trumptman, if they're gunna have a Combo drive option for the iMacs will they also give the TiBooks the option since they'll have slot loading drives?
  • Reply 49 of 56
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    I see the same old optimists are back. I imagine we'll hear them crying again when MWSF comes and goes without any mention of the G5 It just isn't going to happen. A chip is not a system and seven weeks is not enough time. I expect faster G4s, a new iMac and, just maybe, an iPod-like PDA. That's about it.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: gfeier ]</p>
  • Reply 50 of 56
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>trumptman, if they're gunna have a Combo drive option for the iMacs will they also give the TiBooks the option since they'll have slot loading drives?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey I didn't claim to have insider info... just educated guesses. I wouldn't put it past Apple to continue to offer no option at all.

However I do believe it is not just the slot loading that is keeping a combo drive out of the Powerbook G4, I think it also has a little something to do with it being that wonderful 1 inch thick. The iMac is just a little thicker than that, don't you think?

Nick
  • Reply 51 of 56
    [quote]trumptman, if they're gunna have a Combo drive option for the iMacs will they also give the TiBooks the option since they'll have slot loading drives?<hr></blockquote>

Only problem is that the TIBook's case is an inch thick. The iMac has significant'y more room inside. The only reason that the TiBook doesn't have the DVD/CDRW combo is because Apple either can't find a thin enough drive or the supply is too tight.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Here's what I'll BUY

Ti PB:

1600x1040 screen resloluton (there are lots of PC laps at 1400x1040)

Better graphics card

Airport AND bluetooth built in (bluetooth module is smaller than a matchbook)

Combo Drive - not a sale killer, but would be nice.

:eek: :eek: :eek: BUNDLED OFFICE X :eek: :eek: :eek:

Apple would sell 20-50% more machines if they bundled Office X. Don't believe me? That's ok, but it's true.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by soulcrusher:

[QB]From MWSF this year till today the fastest G4 speed has increased by 133MHz (from 733 to 867), and you are hoping for a G5 at 1.6 GHz all of a sudden? give me a break!<hr></blockquote>

well it might just be the nature of the chip..... more importantly than clock speeds (though they seem to sell boxes), the G5 is rumored to just flat out faster than the G4... a much bigger improvment than the G3 to G4 battle (when testing non altivec apps). nobody seems to really banking on a 1.6 G5.... even the register's optimistic article said the 1.6 was a long shot.

unless something goes REALLY wrong we will see something, G4 or G5, breaging the ghz in the first quarter of 2002. as for laptops, i dont see them changing in sanfran... maybe feb or march events.... best bet for SF i woudl say upgrades to the G4/G5? and imac upgrades......
  • Reply 54 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by Ben Huebscher:

<strong>Why hasn't anyone mention apple releasing a digital camera?</strong><hr></blockquote>

i was thinking about this earlier..... what do you all think will be the next iToy? digital camera seems very valid. i know everyone wants the PDA, but that's a market in a strange position right now. granted palm has yet to support OSX, but generally the Palm OS *was* nice to the Mac folks. if Apple goes PDA they will have to come up with some way to beat out everyone else. if they go Palm OS they are going head to head with Sony. interesting battle there.

anyway, what are the other options? maybe an in home version of an ipod..... basically a jukebox server type thing maybe? they exist, but the integration with apple software/hardware would be the bonus. i would love to see some sort of Tivo type device. you can sorta get that now, but not really.... Tivo is capable of controlling your cable box. that's a huge bonus. setting VCR to CH 4 and hoping nobody changes the channel on the box stinks..... the new digital cable box i have is better with programming, but before that i could not record multiple channels. anyway, what else would be nice for the digital hub? what do we need/want integrated? i wonder if Apple will get tight with X10. X10 has worked with the Mac since the days of the SE. the Mac software still exists, but honestly i dont use it right now. i still use X10 all over the house, but independent of my computer.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    <a href="http://www.sonystyle.ca/webapp/commerce/servlet/ProductDisplay?merchant_rn=1&prrfnbr=36154"; target="_blank">http://www.sonystyle.ca/webapp/commerce/servlet/ProductDisplay?merchant_rn=1&prrfnbr=36154</a>;

Apple should take a close look at this machine. I held one today at lunch over at Future Shop, man this thing is small!!!
  • Reply 56 of 56
    (removed)