Anyone using a HP 23" L2335 with PowerBook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Title says it pretty much all:

Does anyone use one of these new HP 23" screen with a PowerBook G4 via DVI?

These screens have pretty much the same specs as the Apple 23" but are cheaper (and of course cheaper looking too)!

Does OS X recognize the screen right and allows you to go full 1920x1200? I have a Rev C 17" beefed up to 128MB VRAM so performance should be pretty acceptable!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Title says it pretty much all:

Does anyone use one of these new HP 23" screen with a PowerBook G4 via DVI?

These screens have pretty much the same specs as the Apple 23" but are cheaper (and of course cheaper looking too)!

Does OS X recognize the screen right and allows you to go full 1920x1200? I have a Rev C 17" beefed up to 128MB VRAM so performance should be pretty acceptable!

I now do own a L2335 from HP and I can tell:

- screen matches Apple 23" in any respect

- the HP has way more features (multiple conectors, Pic-in-Pic etc.)

- it's 1/3 cheaper than the Apple Display

- does not at all look ugly

- is height adjustable

- wins against the Apple Version except for design!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I really appreciate your information on the HP monitor - THANKS. I've been looking for a monitor that I could share with my PowerBook and ThinkPad. I also found the HP F2304 that offers s-video for a little more money. Have you used the picture-in-picture? Any more feedback since using it a little longer?

All of the reviews have been very positive...........
  • Reply 3 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    can you use it as a TV monitor?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I know for sure the HP F2304 can be used as a HDTV - it also includes component video and s-video.

http://h30015.www3.hp.com/hp_dec/products/f2304.asp
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I can hook up an external DVD and watch DVDs PiP (do not have any HDTV capable device). The screen is easily fast enough to handle even very fast film sequences!

BTW watch DVD on an external DVD player is kind of stupid because my PBG4 1.5 with Raden 9700 can easily handle playing a DVD ...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Just in case anyone is interested... there is the L2335 MEGATHREAD over at hardocp. Yes, mostly windows users over there, but a few mac's in the 40 page thread... plently of pics too:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=757963

[LB]
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by leobag

Just in case anyone is interested... there is the L2335 MEGATHREAD over at hardocp. Yes, mostly windows users over there, but a few mac's in the 40 page thread... plently of pics too:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=757963

[LB]

The thread mentions some kind of noise problem. Does anyone know whether the Apple 23" is completely silent?

There is some kind of slight buzz coming from the display.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

The thread mentions some kind of noise problem. Does anyone know whether the Apple 23" is completely silent?

There is some kind of slight buzz coming from the display.

my 20 inch apple display is dead quiet. i would assume the 23" is the same. the buzz could be a power supply issue.