User Manipulation

ikaika
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a couple related questions:

1. How do I delete a user? That should be easy, but so far, I haven't figured it out. Similarly, how do I change the short name of an existing user? Full name is changeable, but short is always greyed out.

2. How do I copy a user? I can believe that this might be impossible, but it can't hurt to ask... My problem is that I've been using the Administrator account for everything, and so far I've had no problems, but it makes me a little nervous. I basically want my main user account to become a normal user without completely rebuilding it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I'm not the best person to answer, but sometimes a quick answer is appreciated.

So, you can delete a user by hitting the "-" symbol in the System - Accounts part of the System Preferences. Highlight the account and subtract them from the list.

If you're using an administrator account, that's probably OK. It's not the ROOT account if that's what you're worried about. While some people do have multiple accounts, one administrator and one not, I personally always stay as an admin. Again, it's not the ROOT admin, so it's not quite as scary as it seems.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ikaika Posts: 52member
    I can't believe I didn't see that minus sign.

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I think in order to 'copy' a user, you just have to copy their home folder. There might be a little manipulation to get things to sync, but if nothing else you can just dump the folders from your old HOME folder into the new one.