HP iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I know this has all been discussed before, but today is the official release of the HP iPod, so I thought I'd start a thread with facts.

Same design/color as current 4th gen iPods. Same price. HP now sells labels you can print that are wraps for your ipod so you can make custom "jackets."

And thats about it.

Lotta hype for nothing really.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I wouldn't say "nothing." HP has nearly 20% market share.

20% !!!

That's a lot of potential sales to people who have generally avoided anything Apple.

Also, since it appears that the "hPod" is thoroughly the white, 4th gen iPod including the Apple logo, Apple gets a slim opportunity to win over hearts and minds.

Screed
  • Reply 2 of 11
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The hype has to do with gaining market share as sCreeD mentions. Visibility of a product makes people aware. There are still tens of milllions who don't know anything about the iPod. Keeping it white guarantees the "caché" remains intact. HP (or Apple) were smart in doing this. It ain't an iPod unless it's white... it's ain't a mini unless it's in colors.... get it.

Let's just hope that Apples manufacturer can make enough of both the iPod and iPod+HP to keep up with demand. If you thought last Xmas was a great season for the 'Pod, this year will go through the roof.

Also, with iTMS/iTunes/Quicktime bundled with all HP consumer desktops, look for increased downloads from iTMS as well. This is a win-win-win- deal.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i know it's not necessarily a new feature, but i do like the tattoos idea. not so much the album art, but i do like the little thumbnails macminute has listed

i wonder how effective they will be in practice for personalizing and protecting the ipod.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Interesting. I never thought PC users as being the "creative type". But, hey, at least HP has blue rather then biege boxes!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    No, black & (tacky) silver is the new beige. The same goes for Dell.

White & (real) aluminium seem so much prettier.

And perhaps that's what HP's marketing drones found out about the iPod.

Screed
  • Reply 6 of 11
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I think the HP version has an HP logo on the back, not an Apple. Other than that, they look the same.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

I think the HP version has an HP logo on the back, not an Apple. Other than that, they look the same.

Correction. I guess it has both an Apple and HP logo.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    The specs page on HP's iPod list WMA compatibility. Really?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Oops, I was reading a little too fast. Boy is my face red.