TS reports on new imac specs

1293031323335»

Comments

• Reply 681 of 697
    Quote:

Just kidding...

When you're spending best part of £2K on a machine with a £16 graphics card.

S'no joke.

Sad joke.

Same crap graphics card in each machine?

You don't have to be a fantasist to expect realist graphic card options in a machine costing that much.

That's why Apple loses sales on gloriried email boutique machines.

2 gig. 9600xt.

There's nothing outrageous about this for a £2K price. I'd expect a 9800xt for that kind of dough.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 682 of 697
    sluslu Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dws

MOSR is now claiming that there will be an iMac in addition to the ones listed by TS. It will sport a 2Ghz G5 and a better video card.

If true, the the spec whores will be silenced.

Oh, I forget... They'll claim that Apple charges too much for the high-end gaming iMac! Also, "everyone knows" that you can buy a cheap Dell, change all the innards for just a few bucks, and end up with a box that will run Doom3 at its highest settings!!!

Just kidding...

I hope the MOSR rumor is true. Even if you aren't able to swap out the graphics card, having the option of getting at least one iMac with a better one would satisfy a goodly number of people.

I don't know what MOSR is....help? Link? I want to read this too.
  • Reply 683 of 697
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    From MOSR:

"Breaking News: Reliable sources have provided Rumors with a few details regarding the next Developer Seed of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, noting that it will include multiple as-yet unannounced new features, compared to the previous seed which only modified Software Update -- and even that, only modestly.

These sources also predict its release within about two weeks' time ("around the time of Steve's return" to the captain's chair, apparently)."

Whoa! Unnanaounced new features! Scoop! That's journalism.
  • Reply 684 of 697
    Quote:

Originally posted by slu

I don't know what MOSR is....help? Link? I want to read this too.

MOSR is a rumour site, but only in that they post guesses just happen to look like they have some basis in fact. MOSR is generally regarded as the laughing stock of the Mac rumour community, since almost none of their predictions ever come true. If they do, it's purely by accident.
  • Reply 685 of 697
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

From MOSR:

"Breaking News: Reliable sources have provided Rumors with a few details regarding the next Developer Seed of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, noting that it will include multiple as-yet unannounced new features, compared to the previous seed which only modified Software Update -- and even that, only modestly.

These sources also predict its release within about two weeks' time ("around the time of Steve's return" to the captain's chair, apparently)."

Whoa! Unnanaounced new features! Scoop! That's journalism.

you forgot to add a few things:

1 - A liberal sprinkling of 'MOST TRUSTED' in front of a few of the word sources

2 - A smattering of "Embargoed"

Other than that... I think you've got it!

Dave
  • Reply 686 of 697
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

stop being a jackass and either add something to the conversation or go post a link to a press release

You have an attitude problem, young man.

Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i know i may be reading too much into this, but apple just started circulating this ad banner, and it does ask a bit of a leading question...

i would fill in the blank with "a supercomputer in your lap," but maybe somewhere else?

anyway, like i was saying, maybe this is a hint, maybe it's nothing. but it piqued my curiosity.

A supertablet in your living room!
  • Reply 687 of 697
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Thing is it can't be a Powerbook G5 because the idea of having a supercomputer on your lap had been used for the Powerbook G4 in Apple's tv commercials. So this probably means that Apple is delivering something unexpected, perhaps like someone suggested I forget who, a base sation (the actual computer) and a screen that's separate to move round the house to where you want. LOL, I'm smoking something...
  • Reply 688 of 697
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Two comments on this. First, I think that if Apple ships base models with 256MB, they will will be upgradeable to 512MB or more of RAM, so I don't really think that shipping with only 256MB is that big of a deal, particularly given how cheap RAM is these days.

As for the choice of graphics cards, my money is on one of two possibilities: ATI Radeon X600 or GeForce 6600. Yes, I realize that the former is somewhat more questionable since it's a PCI-Express part. I think the minimum that the new models will see is an ATI Radeon 9600 part, I just don't think it's realistic for them to base it on the GeForce 5200 at this point in time.

By the way, my biggest reason for suspecting this is that Doom III is going to be huge, for both the game itself and for future licensing of its engine, and it's almost certainly coming to the Mac. How about a guest appearance from John Carmack to personally introduce an early alpha/beta of Doom III running on the new iMac?
  • Reply 689 of 697
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

As for the choice of graphics cards, my money is on one of two possibilities: ATI Radeon X600 or GeForce 6600. Yes, I realize that the former is somewhat more questionable since it's a PCI-Express part. I think the minimum that the new models will see is an ATI Radeon 9600 part, I just don't think it's realistic for them to base it on the GeForce 5200 at this point in time.

You are aware perhaps that the dual 1.8 and 2 GHz Power Mac models have too a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra. Only the high-end model has an ATI Radeon 9600 XT. So, it would not be a surprise to see ALL iMac models with a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, for the beginning. Sorry if it sounds hard, but this is what common sense suggests.
  • Reply 690 of 697
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

You are aware perhaps that the low and mid Power Mac models have too a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra. Only the high-end model has an ATI Radeon 9600 XT. So, it would not be a surprise to see ALL iMac models with a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, for the beginning. Sorry if it sounds hard, but this is what common sense suggests.

Well, part of my argument for the 6600 card has to do with the fact that Nvidia is marketing them as the card for Doom III (at a midrange pricepoint, obviously a 6800 is faster).
  • Reply 691 of 697
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    hey.. I was just on the soho apple store...

there was not a single iMac on display... where the iBooks and

iMacs normally are, there were just iBooks...

I also saw the new flat screen 20 and 23 inch monitors... they looked real good... the side panels were a glossy white plastic.

theres no way a G5 iMac is going to be some boring gray color.

I would think the new iMac would have to be as repositionable as the new monitors...
  • Reply 692 of 697
    The new iMac should be metallic red. Hmmm delicious.
  • Reply 693 of 697
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i know i may be reading too much into this, but apple just started circulating this ad banner, and it does ask a bit of a leading question...

i would fill in the blank with "a supercomputer in your lap," but maybe somewhere else?

anyway, like i was saying, maybe this is a hint, maybe it's nothing. but it piqued my curiosity.

How about "a supercomputer at your wall"?

Just guessing...
  • Reply 694 of 697
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

The new iMac should be metallic red. Hmmm delicious.

Yea, and they can bring back the original Apple price; 666. \\m/ \\m/
  • Reply 695 of 697
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    A supercomputer in your hands...

imac with detachable tablet(s)!

Thin clients!

or,

A supercomputer for everyone
  • Reply 696 of 697
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

I mean, a GeForce FX 5200 in a non-upgradeable, $1299 computer? 256MB RAM isn't enough to have OS X running, and play one modern game. It's enough for surfing, listening to music and maybe one more task - then it starts jumping and chopping. This is just sick.

Yes. For over a decade Apple has been skimping on RAM. This is retarded. It is obviously the cheapest speed boost. I mean they added cache to G4s to make Macs look faster when Motorola was being crappy. So pile on the RAM. OS X needs at least 384 to run nice. Preferably 512. That's just the way it is. And that'd set Apple back what, $20 a machine or less?

People that buy iMacs unless they are diehard Appleheads like us, don't even know what RAM is or stands for. They haven't heard of UNIX. So they don't know they need to buy more RAM. And will get pissed when the measly 256 of RAM isn't enough to play games that came out years ago, or run Office, Photoshop, listen to iTunes, and surf the web, without becoming damn slooow.