Pre-Blackout Old-Timers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 163
    Katherine was a fine lass, but long gone tae the best o' my knowledge, more's the pity. I on the other haund am still here - tenuosly holding on tae my Macintosh links - though tragically diminished by long years, methylated spirits and the wife.

Aye - those were the days.
  • Reply 42 of 163
    I've been around for a while, but I'm a background character.
  • Reply 43 of 163
    beige_g3beige_g3 Posts: 203member
    Good to hear alot of the old group is still around. Who was the giirl who posted negative images (in the photographic sense) of herself ?
  • Reply 44 of 163
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I was thinking about The Instaler just the other day...

The arab chats were interesting indeed. I took a screenshot once when I was in there. Lord knows where I put it. I was there once when a few of us were trying to explain that this had to do with Apple discussions, bla bla bla... they were pretty anti US and West in general. I shudder to think if that had anything to do with what happened with anything terrorist related. I doubt it though. There were plenty of Islamic/Arabic anti-West/USA haters before 9.11 as well.

The "spark" has sort of gone because of the stupid current status of AppleNova/Thinksecret that branched off from here... Its really too bad. We should all get back together again and may this place nice and funky again.
  • Reply 45 of 163
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I was thinking about Mad_Tool recently as well, I always did like his cool train pics, and all the stick people being taken out by "Da Truth Train"!

I was mostly a lurker way back then, and it was the "Mercury Rising" thread that got me interested in Apple, the G4, and laptops. A bit too interested as I watched (text read?) my first keynote in 1/2001 which caused my immeasurable amounts of pain that was cured only when I purchased my Titanium PowerBook G4 from CompUSA on 2/17/2001, all the while listening to the wailing and gnashing of teeth by all the people silly enough to pre-order from Apple on keynote day.
  • Reply 46 of 163
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I was thinking about Mad_Tool recently as well, I always did like his cool train pics, and all the stick people being taken out by "Da Truth Train"!

I was mostly a lurker way back then, and it was the "Mercury Rising" thread that got me interested in Apple, the G4, and laptops. A bit too interested as I watched (text read?) my first keynote in 1/2001 which caused my immeasurable amounts of pain that was cured only when I purchased my Titanium PowerBook G4 from CompUSA on 2/17/2001, all the while listening to the wailing and gnashing of teeth by all the people silly enough to pre-order from Apple on keynote day.

I don't know what you're talking about. I got mine on valentine's day, custom built, and it still runs like a champ. It was a cool machine until Quartz Extreme came out.
  • Reply 47 of 163
    Someone please post the truth train pic! I've been looking for it for years.
  • Reply 48 of 163
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thefamousmred

Someone please post the truth train pic! I've been looking for it for years.

I second this request! If I see those truth train pics again I'll shit myself. And gladly!

chugga chugga chugga
  • Reply 49 of 163
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm amazed nobody mentioned workerbee.

Perhaps it has something to do with Apple fscking his ass for being so stupid.
  • Reply 50 of 163
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Looking for the truth train....

Go here, you might find it with a bit of patience....

http://commons.ucalgary.ca/king/appleinsider/

Forum 1 is Future Hardware..

Good Luck!

FOUND...

A Post by JUNKYARD DAWG...

I think it was a cruel joke that Id decided to play on Mac users. Graeme Devine talked a big game but failed to deliver. I'll suck my own dick if Id ever gets an altivec enhanced version of Q3A out the door.

Didn't he have a habit of sucking his own dick or what!
  • Reply 51 of 163
    Didn't JYD have that problem too? Whatever happened to that little scamp?
  • Reply 52 of 163
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I joined in January 1999 and remember the events mentioned previously and can assure CrazyChester that the intrigue was very real.

After hearing about the "invasion" I signed into the chatroom, which was a JAVA-driven application which took a minute or two to load, to witness the interlopers who seemed to be Arabic. AppleInsider Jihad jokes were bandied about, and every one of us who remembered this incident shuddered after September of 2001. Too bad no one recorded the text of those chats.

We've had so many interesting and annoying characters come through the boards that it's hard to remember them all at one sitting. Back, pre-blackout, the oldest registration date on anyone's profile was JRC, who was signed up (I believe) in November 1998. Of course there had to have been older members, but he was the oldest ACTIVE member, I was the second oldest ACTIVE member.

It's flattering to speak of our history in hushed, revered tones...but it's mostly creepy. Sure we oldest of the old-timers can leap 50 feet in the air, pass through solid objects and are hung like mules, but please remember that we're just human. Or ARE we?

melenkurion abatha, duroc minas mil khaball
  • Reply 53 of 163
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I believe there were only two or three people that signed up BEFORE me.

So, NOV 98....6 years, 1 month, and some odd days since I registered for Appleinsider forums!

And I'm ONLY twelve years old!

edit:

awwww! That's SO NICE of someone to store old forum postings !

And THIS ONE is where I wish my mom a Happy Birthday!

http://commons.ucalgary.ca/king/appl...ML/000023.html

You can PLAINLY see my NOV 98 Registration date in the post, too! COOL! (That is my biggest accomplishment in life! )

THANKS MAN!

Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

I joined in January 1999 and remember the events mentioned previously and can assure CrazyChester that the intrigue was very real.

After hearing about the "invasion" I signed into the chatroom, which was a JAVA-driven application which took a minute or two to load, to witness the interlopers who seemed to be Arabic. AppleInsider Jihad jokes were bandied about, and every one of us who remembered this incident shuddered after September of 2001. Too bad no one recorded the text of those chats.

We've had so many interesting and annoying characters come through the boards that it's hard to remember them all at one sitting. Back, pre-blackout, the oldest registration date on anyone's profile was JRC, who was signed up (I believe) in November 1998. Of course there had to have been older members, but he was the oldest ACTIVE member, I was the second oldest ACTIVE member.

It's flattering to speak of our history in hushed, revered tones...but it's mostly creepy. Sure we oldest of the old-timers can leap 50 feet in the air, pass through solid objects and are hung like mules, but please remember that we're just human. Or ARE we?

melenkurion abatha, duroc minas mil khaball

• Reply 54 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

A large number of the so called defenders of the faith have moved on to another forum after a recent schism here.

what happened? did that relate to the mods sudden attempt at becoming controlling and bitter out of nowhere and for no good reason, and banning dozens of people at random (including myself)? that was quite amusing.

oh, and don't encourage grover. he might actually get confused and think he's a decent person.
  • Reply 55 of 163
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Dozens of people at random? Are you fucking stoned?

That's pretty funny, alliance. You are the one asshole here that always deserved the bans he got. ALWAYS.

Seriously, that's the best laugh I had today. Thanks bro!
  • Reply 56 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Dozens of people at random? Are you fucking stoned?

That's pretty funny, alliance. You are the one asshole here that always deserved the bans he got. ALWAYS.

Seriously, that's the best laugh I had today. Thanks bro!

haha

at least fellows appologized for wrongly banning me to begin with.

i have no hard feelings with the rest of you since you blindly refused to listen to me or the problem. but i digress.

this is a nostalgic thread, not of old problems with mods, but old times when there werent problems with mods.

• Reply 57 of 163
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Nah, Fellows just got soft and let you off the hook. I think the concencus among everyone else was that he was crazy.

But yeah, sorry, I'll keep bad vibes out of here.
  • Reply 58 of 163
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I have news for you guys. After 9-11, I took someone's screenshot of one of the chat pages with arabic text all over and forwarded it to some FBI info line. I seriously doubted that it was anything related, but at the same time, I was rather freaked out about the whole thing and left nothing to chance.

Damn, I do wish I had those old Truth Train images. They were priceless. I joined near the same time as 68k, part of a second wave of AI members really.

Notice that right now, after a long absence, we have Junkyard Dawg in a Temporary Insanity thread, claiming he blackmailed someone for insider info! Ah, JYD was rather bipolar IIRC, first being a perfect troll, then becoming a fountain of overarching enthusiasm. I can't remember what turned the tide. DoctorGonzo was not quite as, uh, unstable, but another good character.

I miss Belle. A lot of people fear the worst for her. She had leukemia as I recall. Scott and her had some discussions at the time, then she disappeared. I also remember Kate getting harassed like crazy by people who saw her (admittedly saucy) picture in one of her photo galleries. She posts at MacNN now and then, usually to question the wisdom of creating Quartz over the QuickDraw display model.

I'm trying to remember what Dorsal brought to the party. He was another prognosticator as I recall. Was seb included in the "good guys" list at the top of this thread? Also MichaelM8000 was another one for overarching enthusiasm, though he managed to apply his energy into Omni and Delicious Monster software. Spell check was invented for him as I recall. Mandicard and his "Hope Springs Eternal" mantra belong in the good boys club too.

I think we'll need Spotlight to properly burrow into that U of Calgary archive of the old forums. Ah, memories.
  • Reply 59 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Nah, Fellows just got soft and let you off the hook. I think the concencus among everyone else was that he was crazy.

But yeah, sorry, I'll keep bad vibes out of here.

i've actually talked to fellows alot after that whole ordeal. he honestly said that he was to blame for the whole thing, that i didnt do anything wrong, and that he overreacted by banning me. which is basically exactly what i was trying to explain to the mods, who...(not trying to start any arguments here), basically provoked me into "making a scene" and thus leading to constant bannings. if no one listens to me, then i get pissed. and yes, before i did all of this, i was banned a couple times for no reason at all (as were a number of other members). merely being honest here. i am not trying to start an argument, just telling the truth that the mods wouldnt listen to...

[edit] fellows is actually a good guy who i was sad to see leave as mod. he actually tried to help solve problems on here instead of hiding from them.

now that that's cleared up, please resume this strange thread.

i appologize for this thread hijac.

oh, and i was here about as long as anyone on the original site...
  • Reply 60 of 163
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I have news for you guys. After 9-11, I took someone's screenshot of one of the chat pages with arabic text all over and forwarded it to some FBI info line.

I didn't see the thread in question, but have heard about it over the years. Do you still have the screenshot? I know many others have asked about this since.

I was around pre-blackout, but mainly lurked. I believe I registered back then, and then forgot what name I'd registered under. Lurked at OrangeInsider during the end-of-life-as-we-know-it was going on, and registered when the board came back up.