Mac OS X vs Longhorn

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Quote:

Longhorn will still be a major Windows release, on both the client and the server, and with recent improvements to Mac OS X and Linux doing little to nip away at XP's technological and usability leads, Longhorn will likely still stand at the apex of personal computing when its ships. Put succinctly, though the kitchen sink approach is gone, Longhorn remains the OS technology to watch.

--Paul Thurrott

(Bolding added)

I wonder if this guy has ever used OS X?

But seriously, will Longhorn ever be a match for OS X?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by glen

(Bolding added)

I wonder if this guy has ever used OS X?

Well, last I heard, WinFS won't make the cut in the first release of Longhorn. This was one of the biggest features of Longhorn and it will only make a 'beta' appearance in Longhorn 2006.

I think Longhorn may catch up but I don't think it will surpass OS X for a looong, long time.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I think Longhorn may catch up but I don't think it will surpass OS X for a looong, long time.

I disagree. Longhorn is turning out to be nothing more than an SP3. There is no way it will even come close to OSX. I mean, the majority of Longhorn was security. It's gonna be great for developers, but they have failed to mention what real improvements consumers will get.

Linux is the real winner here, before, they were at risk of falling behind, but now it looks like they will be a real alternative to Windows on the desktop by the time Longhorn finally ships.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    WinFS and Avalon were the two main features of Longhorn. Is there anything interesting left?

Paul Thurrott: no surprise there then. (Perhaps he's trolling for hits from outraged Linux/Apple fans?)
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by glen

(Bolding added)

I think people are beginning to wonder if Longhorn will even be a match for Linux by the time it ships.

Like Ballmer said, Microsoft is betting the farm on Longhorn ( i know they say that with each release) but in this case, it really seems like a bet that they're gonna lose.

Microsoft certainly doesn't look so invincible anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Thurrott is a character. I remember trying to correct him on something a while back, when I didn't know who he was. He doesn't seem to care that he's off base. QED.

I overestimated Microsoft on this a while back, thinking for sure they could do a local (non-networked) version of WinFS for Longhorn, and that Apple would have to catch up. Amorph and others rightly accused me of being suckered by FUD. Oh well.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

WinFS and Avalon were the two main features of Longhorn. Is there anything interesting left?

Paul Thurrott: no surprise there then. (Perhaps he's trolling for hits from outraged Linux/Apple fans?)

Indigo, Longhorn's communications framework is supposed to be a big feature. Frankly, I don't know what it is or what features it could offer users. Could anyone more familiar with Longhorn fill in the details about Indigo?

Mike
  • Reply 7 of 9
    it feels like rather then optimizing the OS to run more efficiently, Windows seems to just be piling on more data on the old stuff. They just keep upping the minimum requirements unnecessarily, I'm sure if they optimized it a bit it may actually run on a lower-end computer. But then it's microsoft, when did they ever make something that was optimized?

At this point only Avalon seems to be an improment, besides adding an analog clock on the right side of the screen. Now they can resize icons!!! SO COOL! *sarcastically*
  • Reply 8 of 9
    lucylucy Posts: 44member
    As has likely already been pointed out:

Avalon and Indigo are going to be available for Longhorn, XP, and 2003.

WinFS which was going to work over the network was cut to local only, and has since been cut almost entirely out.

Most of what remains is new APIs.

Myself, I don't think there are any major features that have been announced that will be Longhorn exclusives. Many of the, less exciting, features were rolled out in SP2, so Longhorn is looking a lot like it will be like SP3, or XP ME.

There is, of course, the possibility that there will be "major" features announced to help Longhorn sell, and some of the features may even be somewhat neat.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lucy

As has likely already been pointed out:

Avalon and Indigo are going to be available for Longhorn, XP, and 2003.

I don't think thats the whole picture, from what I understood, at least Avalon will be availabel for XP, but that's only so it can run software made for Avalon, where before it couldn't. I don't think XP will be able to utilize Avalon very much. Don't know about Indigo.