Last Minute Predictions

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Please post what you think it will actually be... and what you wish could have been.

For example...

I think it will be something very close to this...

But I wish it was something very close to this...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 131
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    No new iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 131
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    Applenut, why do you think no new iMac?
  • Reply 3 of 131
    glenglen Posts: 32member
    I quite like the look of this by Andrew Morrison. It's also the first mock-up I've seen to tackle the mouse and keyboard.

http://www.theapplecollection.com/de...iMac-G5big.jpg
  • Reply 4 of 131
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'm thinking it's basically going to be what's been reported - an all-in-one with 17" and 20" screen and sub-2 Ghz G5s at around the same price as the old G4 iMacs. I really hope they figure out some way to make it headless, maybe with that VESA mount on the back of the displays, so that you could buy the computer itself w/o display for around $1000. But somehow I doubt it. Apple just seems to have other priorities.
  • Reply 5 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

No new iMac.

Considering they've already announced it on their website, and they've said it's going to have a G5 in their conference call, I'm not sure what could make you say this. Or are you just saying it's not going to be announced in Paris?
  • Reply 6 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Considering they've already announced it on their website, and they've said it's going to have a G5 in their conference call, I'm not sure what could make you say this. Or are you just saying it's not going to be announced in Paris?

not going to be announced in paris.

Just my opinion. As each day passes it seems less likely that it won't be but I'm sticking with my original guess of it being unveiled in the states, by Jobs, in September at a special press event.
  • Reply 7 of 131
    jphjph Posts: 5member
    - New iPod mini colors (even though they can't even keep up with demand for the current models), maybe new HD size (6GB).

- G5 iMac - with a stunning new design but questionable specs and priced too high.

- Some kind of DLD (as bonus to the above).

jph
  • Reply 8 of 131
    I think it will be the same form, but slightly larger and be made from aluminium. It will be anodized in 3 colours - silver, and whatever the two best selling iPod Mini colours are.

It will hopefully have a 2.0 g5, 9800 pro, 512MB, but I fear Im resigned to 1.8 G5, NV5200, and 256MB.

I cant see any justification in having less than my preferred spec in todays market. Which would be about right for a computer in the market segment its in, and for users to get a reasonable experience for a good 2 years. But hey! this is Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by glen

I quite like the look of this by Andrew Morrison. It's also the first mock-up I've seen to tackle the mouse and keyboard.

http://www.theapplecollection.com/de...iMac-G5big.jpg

Personally I'd never but a monitor that wouldn't allow me to have the screen near dead vertical. I lose count of how many people ive worked with / friends that have their monitors pointing at the ceiling. Thats just so wrong! (IMO)
  • Reply 10 of 131
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    So, what time eastern does the philnote start?
  • Reply 11 of 131
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

not going to be announced in paris.

Just my opinion. As each day passes it seems less likely that it won't be but I'm sticking with my original guess of it being unveiled in the states, by Jobs, in September at a special press event.

I have that gut feeling as well, but at the same time, what is the black banner covering up? And that teaser poster? Unless Apple releases a PowerBook G5 and not the iMac G5 at Paris...
  • Reply 12 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I have that gut feeling as well, but at the same time, what is the black banner covering up? And that teaser poster? Unless Apple releases a PowerBook G5 and not the iMac G5 at Paris...

i dunno, it could be covering up anything. since it's long it does appear to be a banner that would run along the top of the usual computer countertops. although it could be iPods or Powerbooks.

Who knows. it could be software.

I don't think any of the pictures are really telling yet.

I didn't think they'd announce the iMac overseas since the american press doesn't give it much notice. Also, it doesn't seem supply issues have been alleviated and I'm not sure how wise it'd be to wait 2 months and then announce it, only to still have supply problems. wouldn't be the best for apple's image.
  • Reply 13 of 131
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

i dunno, it could be covering up anything. since it's long it does appear to be a banner that would run along the top of the usual computer countertops. although it could be iPods or Powerbooks.

Who knows. it could be software.

I don't think any of the pictures are really telling yet.

I didn't think they'd announce the iMac overseas since the american press doesn't give it much notice. Also, it doesn't seem supply issues have been alleviated and I'm not sure how wise it'd be to wait 2 months and then announce it, only to still have supply problems. wouldn't be the best for apple's image.

I can see the iMac being announced in one of two ways.

1. The way you mentioned, which would be bad for Apple. Announcing and accepting pre-orders for a product that wont ship for 6 weeks or more.

2. Announcing and accepting orders for it that can be filled within 2 weeks.

That one report about Apple incuring massive costs because of air-freighting iMacs to flood the retail channels is interesting, also the tidbit about how the 1.8 GHz G5's are going to new iMacs and not PowerMacs...

I'm starting to talk myself into the possibility of a Paris iMac announcement.

Anyway, if it is announced, it will be done by Steve in a pre-recorded video (like the Apple Stores) or by Steve via iChat....or by Phil.
  • Reply 14 of 131
    The iMac G5 only got pushed to September and Paris 'cause the June WWDC unveiling got scrapped. Then to make matters worse, Steve got sick and now Phil has to intro one of the most important Apple products ever, and away from the American press.

Up until only a few days ago, I still thought they'd wait until later in the month so that Steve can do it stateside, but both the mainstream and financial press have become convinced the iMac will be at Paris. With the run up in the stock and no denial from Apple, I guess Phil is going to be forced to do it after all.

Unless Steve himself shows up on stage as the "one more thing"...
  • Reply 15 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Unless Steve himself shows up on stage as the "one more thing"...

That's one of the possibilities why I intend to drive over there by bike on tuesday. I live 300 km away from Paris and I need to be back for work at 1600 hrs in the afternoon, but hey, you're a zealot or you aren't
  • Reply 16 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

I intend to drive over there by bike on tuesday. I live 300 km away from Paris

• Reply 17 of 131
    It's not such a big deal really.

I made the trip with Der Kopf ( remember him?) last year aswell.

• Reply 18 of 131
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The new iMac will be introduced. A leading French retailier has sent out invitations inviting consumers to view the new Cinema Display 30", the new G5's, the new iPod mini's, 4Gen iPod and the new iMac this week. From Macbidouille

Quote:

- La FNAC will demo the Mac G5 ! - Lionel - 10:48:56

A short message from Martin:

I have just received a letter from the FNAC (French leader for shops selling HIFI, electronic devices, IT, music,...) officially announcing a special event during AppleExpo. A dedicated area inside FNAC Digitale will be reserved to new Apple products: iPod 4G, Mini, G5s with 30" display, PowerBooks, and especially "the new iMac"!

There is no specific time indicated, but I guess it should be installed as soon as next Tuesday afternoon.

My guess is the form factor will be similar to the current iMac but all elements will be redesigned for a more industrial and less "pretty" look. The screen will still float (with less of a thick bezel around the edges) and the base will still be there but it won't be round. I don't think CPU elements will be behind the screen or will the optical drive be vertically postioned there.
  • Reply 19 of 131
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I think they will unveil a new isight featuring Steve.

Then, Steve will give the one more thing

The thin client for the G5 imac = something like the tablet but better
  • Reply 20 of 131
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    People are already reporting the receipt of a new slightly modified iSight.