Is there any wireless (PCI Based) NICs that work with Mac OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Since Apple is discontinuing (or has discontinued) the 802.11b Airport cards, is there any wireless PCI based NIC cards that will work with Mac OS X?

Every manufacturer I looked at (DLink, LinkSys, Netgear) all have NICs but no Mac OS X drivers listed either on the package or their sites. Are these cards automatically recognized by Mac OS X (Panther)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

Since Apple is discontinuing (or has discontinued) the 802.11b Airport cards, is there any wireless PCI based NIC cards that will work with Mac OS X?

Every manufacturer I looked at (DLink, LinkSys, Netgear) all have NICs but no Mac OS X drivers listed either on the package or their sites. Are these cards automatically recognized by Mac OS X (Panther)?

Thanks in advance.

Apple's original internal Airport card in the iBook and Airport base station was a standard Lucent Technologies PCMCIA Wi-Fi card. PCI Wi-Fi cards are little more than adapters that connect a PCMCIA Wi-Fi card to a PCI slot. I would expect that a non-Apple Wi-Fi card to work at least as well on the Mac as it does on a Wintel computer.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Apple's original internal Airport card in the iBook and Airport base station was a standard Lucent Technologies PCMCIA Wi-Fi card. PCI Wi-Fi cards are little more than adapters that connect a PCMCIA Wi-Fi card to a PCI slot. I would expect that a non-Apple Wi-Fi card to work at least as well on the Mac as it does on a Wintel computer.

Would any PCMCIA WiFi card work on Mac then? I have a QuickSilver PowerMac and would like to go wireless.

I don't want to buy something, only to find it doesn't work, and I can't take it back.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I answered my own question.

Found info here:

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/action...=34042&-search