The Mac OS X dock and Tiger

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It has been awhile since Apple has added any nice new features to the dock. While it is pretty feature packed right now, I wouldn't mind a few other ones such as...

Spring loaded dock folders

Allowing you to close all minimized windows from the dock using control-click (like you can do with the Finder).

These are just a few off the top of my head.

Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I would have to add dock piles. There was a good example of that on this forum. I don't know if it is still here. Basically you would have a folder that held all your say Adobe apps and once clicked all the apps in that folder would fly out and you could select them. The only problem for this is that you do have to do more clicks. I kinda like scrolling to the dock and just clicking safari. I'm not sure how happy I would be to scroll to the dock select the internet folder and then safari. But this would definately appease organized people and add some cool eye candy to the UI that would make windows users drool.

-Macrules101
  • Reply 2 of 11
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

...Spring loaded dock folders

That would be great.

Next i would like to have a - let's say: an extented clipboard memory.

In the dock there would be a new Icon -> the clipboard Icon. Drag any content from any app to that icon (or at least to the dock itself) and it would be virtually stored in the clipboard. Mouse over would pile out all the content for your convenience. Drag them to where ever you want. Simple but great posibilities, - exposé...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Springloaded folders are easy to add, but I'd even more like to see more apps be able to have minimized windows closed through a right-click menu. I don't see why the program would have to be Cocoa for that to work (or is it Carbon?).
  • Reply 4 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hey Vox that's a good idea!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Two things that I'd love:

1. "grouped application windows" -- if I have multiple windows for a single application open/minimized, it might be nice if they were somehow grouped on the dock.

2. multiple docks -- it would be nice to have my "programming" dock where I have my development tools, and my "media" dock where I have my iLife (et al) like applications...like that
  • Reply 6 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    They should do something to make minimizing work, or to make hiding easier. Currently I just hide (with cmd-H), I never minimize. It seems useless. I think Windows Taskbar is better at this basic window management. Also, I'd like a simple "hide all" command. I used to use the equivalent all the time on Windows.

I'd like spring loaded Dock folders. I'd also like the spring loading to extend to app aliases and minimized windows - drag over an app alias, hold, the window comes up, you complete your drag and drop, the window goes back where it came from.

Currently the Dock is divided into two parts. I think three might be in order, since there are three distinct types of objects there: apps, minimized windows, and folders (which includes Trash). It's not logical that minimized windows and folders are in the same compartment.

Maybe they could change the "minimized window in Dock" concept to an app specific window manager. If you are in Mail, and have minimized some mail windows, you see them. When you switch to iTunes, you no longer see the minimized Mail windows. Just throwing some ideas around...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I think the Dock, Desktop, Expose, and Dashboards are overlapping to the point of being redundant. I think a unifying concept of windows, apps, and files "launcher" could streamline all these.

They are all just containers.

Expose-container for open windows

Dashboard-container for mini apps

Desktop-container for recently uses files/links/text clippings

Dock-container for favorite apps/apps in use/minimized windows

I think the Dock's functionality could be absorbed into Dashboard and Expose. It could possibly stick around for novices though. But the difference between open windows and minimized windows is pretty slim and so is the difference between mini apps and the representation of open apps/favorite apps.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hi intastella. Welcome to Macintosh. Where you Have it Your Way. Oh wait that's Burger King. But anyway, more than one way to do things. Unlike Windows where if you don't follow the Wizard and you are a newbie, you're screwed.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Hi intastella. Welcome to Macintosh. Where you Have it Your Way. Oh wait that's Burger King. But anyway, more than one way to do things. Unlike Windows where if you don't follow the Wizard and you are a newbie, you're screwed.

Aquatic -

proposal for a new signature: just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm not being followed.

I think it is missing, i am watching you
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by intastella

I think the Dock, Desktop, Expose, and Dashboards are overlapping to the point of being redundant. I think a unifying concept of windows, apps, and files "launcher" could streamline all these.

Sorry, i've got not the faintest idea what you are talking about.

1. Dock = general quick access to files, folders apps, and name it.

2. Expos´ = ...er... windows management?

3. Desktop = metapher for spatially beeing there,

Seeing is believing! (ok this is a point to discuss later)

Quote:

Expose-container for open windows

Dashboard-container for mini apps

Desktop-container for recently uses files/links/text clippings

Dock-container for favorite apps/apps in use/minimized windows

Exposé is more a state of a particular action/ intention to move content

Desktop was and still is a bit a metapher for the spatial finder.

Quote:

I think the Dock's functionality could be absorbed into Dashboard and Expose. It could possibly stick around for novices though.

How? The Dock could be greatly improved by adding some functionality

(spring loaded dock, clipboard, piles, smart search icons and so on) but what do you mean "absorbed into Dashboard and Exposé"?

Quote:

But the difference between open windows and minimized windows is pretty slim and so is the difference between mini apps and the representation of open apps/favorite apps.

?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    If piles were used as program launchers, that would free a lot of space in the Dock when you'd no longer see all the non-running apps. I know something similar is possible to setup now with some folder/alias mixing, but I haven't gotten around to doing that, and AFAIK then things like drag and drop onto a program alias in the Dock would not work.

I like cmd+tab. I like Expose, somewhat. I don't like the Dock at all. There isn't nearly enough orthogonality, or power, in any of these interface elements. They do not feel "clean". Enough orthogonality and simple, powerful basic functionality enables the user to learn quickly, and easy development of more complicated structures. They should pare down the Dock, then make it more powerful.

I find Windows' taskbar (and many *nix GUIs) a bit better than Dock at managing the desktop and windows - because it does this in a lot simpler, orthogonal fashion, and the apps/windows on the Taskbar are spring loaded - but Dock is definitely designed to be a better launchbar, and a better status indicator. I won't detail Windows' failings in these areas, but they are many. I wish Apple could come up with better window management - not copy the others, or invent something earthshattering, but just sit down and design something better. Right now it feels like Dock covers 40% of window management, Expose covers 60%, but they overlap so 20% of window management is still not at all intuitive/effortless/etc.