Problems hit MSI Geforce 6800 Ultra

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This clearly explains Apple sending free video cards as well as the chaos in shipping G5's with the 6800.

Problems hit MSI Geforce 6800 Ultra

The forum, here, details a number of experiences with the card with garbage being displayed on screens.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17887

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    What makes you think Apple uses MSI as a source of components?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I have learned from the Apple Forum:

?The article points to MSI and there firmware. With NVIDIA only producing the chips it is up to the individual manufacturers to design the rest. If there was a problem with the chips themselves then all manufacturers would be having problems but this isn't the case, XFX produced cards seem to be fine, just in short supply. NVIDIA cannot produce enough chips to satisfy the demand from PC users yet alone for apple's needs.?

and

? I had called Nvidia on the 17th asking any info on the release of the card and was told that they only design the architectural blueprints and send those out to 17 different companies who manufacture the components/assembly.....IBM makes the chip for them.?

So it seems the MSI produced cards are a problem all of their own. What a relief! Now I?m back to waiting for the Apple delivery chaos to spit mine out. I am hoping my July 26 order date doesn?t fall into the ?new? orders for the 6800 with an October 30 ship date and I am hoping my order with the 30? display will have some priority because I have to have the 6800. I hope!

I have a September 17 possible ship date on the display and from what I have now learned I may, just may have it all around then. See Doug smile again!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Umm those are with the PC versions...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaegermann

Umm those are with the PC versions...

Umm, there were problems of one kind or another with all versions.

Umm, there are still difficulties with them on the G5 2.5.

Umm, but you knew that too and just didn't wish to say huh? Easier to just leave your dismissive little comments huh?

Better to keep quiet and have people think your stupid than open your mouth and prove it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1douglask

I have learned from the Apple Forum:

So it seems the MSI produced cards are a problem all of their own. What a relief! Now I?m back to waiting for the Apple delivery chaos to spit mine out. I am hoping my July 26 order date doesn?t fall into the ?new? orders for the 6800 with an October 30 ship date and I am hoping my order with the 30? display will have some priority because I have to have the 6800. I hope!

I have a September 17 possible ship date on the display and from what I have now learned I may, just may have it all around then. See Doug smile again!

Congrats on finding that out. I suppose I should have been a little more clear in my initial statement... since Apple produces all firmware/drivers for video cards they supply with their computers, it would have to be their issue, and not related to any outside manufacturer's issue on their own cards. It's a supply thing with the Ultra cards. Good luck on getting your order soon