Something I just noticed about Mac OS X's Preview

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I had a bunch of different PDF files open all at once. I control-clicked on the Preview icon in the dock to select the PDF document I wanted to bring forward and I noticed something...

Each PDF file I had open displayed the page numbers in parentheses. That is so cool. I know it is such a simple feature, but it is all of these little things I keep coming across in Mac OS X that make me so happy I switched.

Here's a link to a screenshot I took that shows you what I am talking about

http://homepage.mac.com/mpmoriarty/Picture_1.jpg

Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I actually kind of hate Preview. I can't remember why at this moment but i had to stop using it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Actually, the dock menu is just doing what it does with every app - it's reporting the window titles. If you look in the title bar, you'll see that there's a page count in parenthesis there as well.

Neil

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I'm not sure what Scott hates about preview, but what I hate about preview is how images do not show up at their default sizes, ie: one image pixel == 1 screen pixel. Pictures often show up a fraction of their true size and I have to manually zoom in or somesuch. For this reason alone i switched all gifs, jpegs, and PNGs over to open by default with JView, a great app without this problem.

edit: you can tweak preview's preferences to ignore images' dimension specs, which may solve this problem.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

I actually kind of hate Preview. I can't remember why at this moment but i had to stop using it.

Because whatever you open with it, there's probably something better (quite possibly preinstalled) ?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

I'm not sure what Scott hates about preview, but what I hate about preview is how images do not show up at their default sizes, ie: one image pixel == 1 screen pixel. Pictures often show up a fraction of their true size and I have to manually zoom in or somesuch. For this reason alone i switched all gifs, jpegs, and PNGs over to open by default with JView, a great app without this problem.

It goes off the image's resolution (DPI)... kinda like resolution independence will probably work in the future. You can tell it not to do that in prefs though.

Amorya
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I like Preview. It's one of my favorite image-related programs, and it views PDF's pretty nicely.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Hey MP ? What's that icon above preview?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I think I remember now. It's the zoom feature. I actually read papers on the screen but I zoom them up to the full screen width. I don't think preview does that well at all. (Don't have my mac here so I can't check it)
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I think I remember now. It's the zoom feature...

Yes, the zoom feature right now seems to be a buggy add on. It is nearly unpredictable what you gonna see next Embarrassing...

Anything else regarding "Preview" is fine, fast, previews nearly everything, best pdf reader available. what else?

"Preview" should be able to memorize the page when it is gonna closed. That would be a sleek feature especially when you are dealing with pages of 100 and above.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Hey MP ? What's that icon above preview?

That's the Quicksilver icon.

Quicksilver is a Launch Bar like app. Personally, I like Quicksilver a lot more than Launch Bar. It seems faster and integrates better into Mac OS X.

You can download it for free from...

http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

Mike
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Preview and Acrobat 5.0.5 function differently when copying and pasting text from a PDF file to word. Preview will not give you paragraph breaks at the end of each line, whereas acrobat does. Acrobat did, however, preserve the bold font settings unlike Preview.

Small differences, but I like the behavior of Preview a bit more in this case.