Schillers keynote and Jobs thunder

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
We already know they will announce the iMac G5 tomorrow, only because Apple has told us this. While we do not know the details beyond the processor, we still know it's coming. So, one would think there would be one more thing.... but....

Seeing as how Steve Jobs will not be doing the keynote, I would be surprised if he let Phill Schiller role out the new iMac and a new PowerBook, or any other new and exciting products. As all of you know, Steve is huge on publicity and I just do not think his ego would allow someone else to steal all the thunder....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

We already know they will announce the iMac G5 tomorrow, only because Apple has told us this. While we do not know the details beyond the processor, we still know it's coming. So, one would think there would be one more thing.... but....

Seeing as how Steve Jobs will not be doing the keynote, I would be surprised if he let Phill Schiller role out the new iMac and a new PowerBook, or any other new and exciting products. As all of you know, Steve is huge on publicity and I just do not think his ego would allow someone else to steal all the thunder....

apple never said anything that it would be unveiled at Apple Expo. In fact the only thing they have said is it would be announced in September. If anything that says no Apple Expo since technically it starts in August.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Personally, I would love to see Phil Schiller do the "and one more thing..."

I think it would settle something in the back of my mind that Apple needs to let the world know it can still do good things without Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    And not to forget that Phil Schiller is a very charismatic dude. He'd do a great Philnote. After Steve, he's probably the most recognizable Apple employee.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Steve is still young, like 50 or something, he still has a few years at apple.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

apple never said anything that it would be unveiled at Apple Expo. In fact the only thing they have said is it would be announced in September. If anything that says no Apple Expo since technically it starts in August.

i thought they said it would be available in spetember. in other words, announce on august 31st, available for purchase on september 1st from all apple stores sorta thing.

edit: actually...

hmm... i'd be pretty damned shocked if they DIDN'T announce somethign as big as a G5 iMac when all cameras are trained on the expo keynote stage. plus, there have been no announcements for special events upcoming after expo, right?

anyway, just sayin'...
  • Reply 6 of 37
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    If Steve had the audacity to say to the board (which I believe he would know better not to)..."Do not announce our desktop consumer machine at the Paris Expo becuase I want to do it and I can't be there".

I think the answer to that from the board would be somewhere along the lines of:

Tough Sh*t, Phil's announcing the computer we haven't been able to sell since June.

This is a business people.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Steve may still announce the new iMac on Tuesday. Phil will introduce him via iChat, after saying.... "oh yes, there's one more thing". Steve will be seen in his den (or wherever, as long as there's a roof overhead) and show off the new iMac. While doing this another one will be rolled or rise up from the stage and the two will go over all the features. That's my scenario.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    My thoughts exactly...

Steve wont want to miss out on the announcement but at the same time Apple will want to show that someone else can do the "face work" if Steve isnt able to.

So.... Phil starts the keynote..... "one more thing" introduces Steve (on new Tiger iChat and new iSight) with the new iMac, iChat screen splits to introduce Ives to talk about form factor of the iMac.... iChat screen splits again to introduce some celebrity spokesperson saying how this iMac is the "most revolutionary comsumer ball-busting, sex-on-legs piece of computing technology that you must have then Phil finishes it off...

B
  • Reply 9 of 37
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    If you think Steve Jobs does the keynotes because his ego needs it then you really don't understand the man. He does them because he feels he is the best public salesman for the company (which he is) and because he wants to gauge audience and press reaction. The company direction is driven by him and he needs that public feedback.

He will undoubtedly make an iChat appearance in the Paris Philnote because it is essential for public and investor confidence to show that he is fit, well and still engaged.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Steve's business-savvy knows that although he IS the best salesman-showman for Apple (heck, for the entire industry) because he's a media darling and he's earned it. However, watch how he talks about Pixar, he hands credit to his team; maybe it's time we notice he's doing the same thing at Apple. Look at the press releases and you see the rest of the staff getting quoted, especially Stan Ng for the iPod's.

Apple Expo Paris has an advantage for having a Philnote: Paris doesn't expect Steve as much as San Francisco. Thankfully the iPod has reinforced the Apple brand so much that they can afford his absence for the keynotet. He surely likes to be on top of things, but right now it's a crucial time because his surgery tests the potential of the company to act professionally. I think Phil will introduce the new iMac, Steve will say hi from his home via iChat and congratulate Phil on a terrific keynote.

Probably there were photo shoots of Steve himself with the new iMac before the surgery so there is enough PR stuff for magazines and the like.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    I expect Steve to maybe make an appearance on iChat or in the promo video they always have for a new product. Heck, just like the Apple Store introduction, Steve gave a walk-around tour of the new stores, he could do the same with the iMac in some way.

He will have something to do with the keynote, not because of ego, because he wants people to know that he's alright.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by OrbitPink

He will have something to do with the keynote, not because of ego, because he wants people to know that he's alright.

It would serve it's purpose as a publicity stunt. But I think investors need the confidence that Apple will survive even if Steve gets run over by a bus. (No, I don't want anything bad to happen to Steve...)
  • Reply 13 of 37
    The more I think about it, the more I honestly believe Steve will be there in person. The drama and free press that would result is just too much to pass up. Phil will handle 90 minutes of Tiger features and iPod sales numbers, but Steve himself, live on stage to intro the iMac 3 will be the "one last thing".
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Would be very dramatic indeed! Hopefully he's feeling better about his surgery now. Not because of the Keynote, but because it sucks not being physically 100%.

Just one day away now!
  • Reply 15 of 37
    I think it is more important that Steve show he is healthy, than to try and state the obvious; that Apple is ok without him. He's their short term guy, and Wall Street wants him to be well as much as we all do.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Which is why he shouldn't kill himself by flying to Paris when he's in no shape to do so.

Apple can have one keynote without Steve in it - it won't be the end of the world. An iChat appearance would be good enough...
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

Which is why he shouldn't kill himself by flying to Paris when he's in no shape to do so.

Apple can have one keynote without Steve in it - it won't be the end of the world. An iChat appearance would be good enough...

I agree that an iChat appearance would be fine, however, IF Steve is ok enough to be there in person, he should try to do so.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    I really dont think Steve will show personally..... only weeks after surgery... the guy would have to be hurting still.....

Could you see Phil wheeling Steve out in a wheelchair?

Phil - Live...... Steve - iChat...... bet my left one on it.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    I agree with all of you. I am not saying that Steve does the keynotes to boost his ego, but the man has chutzpah. When I think of Apple, I not only think of their great products but of an amazing cofounder and leader of not only Apple but the industry, Steve Jobs. When I think of Phil Schiller....well....to be honest, I do not have much to think of him, except for the two times I met him while working at Apple. Even meeting Steve Jobs in the elevator, where he was talking up a storm about how his products are this and are that. He is a natural salesman.

Steve Jobs is the voice of Apple through his keynotes and media events, much like Walt Disney was the voice for Disney through his weekly television show. Apple could do well without Steve Jobs but while Steve is still there I believe he is going to make it as worth while for the company and take advantage of his chutzpah as much as possible.

So, it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow....
  • Reply 20 of 37
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Steve has a Gulfstream V to fly in. This jet is as comfortable as any room in his house. I predict that he will show up on stage with the new iMac during "Phil's" Keynote.

The news of his "return" to Apple will be as big as the press from the new iMac. He wouldn't miss turning that trick.