Apple 10-k

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am just starting to go over the 10-k report that Apple released today which may give some hints to the future of their product releases...its a long document but so far this sounds interesting:

"The Company's ability to produce and market competitive products is also dependent on the ability and desire of IBM and Motorola, the sole suppliers of the PowerPC RISC-based microprocessor for the Company's Macintosh computers, to provide the Company with a sufficient supply of microprocessors with price/performance features that compare favorably to those supplied to the Company's competitors by Intel Corporation and other developers and producers of microprocessors used by personal computers using the Windows operating systems. Further, despite its efforts to educate the marketplace to the contrary, the Company believes that many of its current and potential customers believe that the relatively slower MHz rating or clock speed of the microprocessors it utilizes in its Macintosh systems compares unfavorably to those utilized by Windows-based systems and translates to slower overall system performance. There have been instances in recent years where the inability of the Company's suppliers to provide advanced G4 and G3 microprocessors with higher clock speeds in sufficient quantity has had significant adverse effects on the Company's results of operations. The inability in the future of the Company to obtain microprocessors in sufficient quantities with competitive price/performance features could have an adverse impact on the Company's results of operations and financial condition."

doesn't sound like they are switching to Intel/AMD in 2003...

any you guys can search for more tid bits here:

<a href="http://ccbn.tenkwizard.com/contents.php?ipage=1951199&repo=tenk&TK=AAPL&CK=32 0193&FG=0&FC=000000&BK=FFFFFF&SC=ON&TC=FFFFFF&TC1= FFFFFF&TC2=FFFFFF&LK=0000FF&AL=FF0000&VL=800080" target="_blank">Apple 10-k</a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Doesn't give an AMD hint one way or the other, but at least it seems Apple knows it needs to be on par with Intel to stay competetive. That realization is nice to finally see.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 3 of 7
    "The inability in the future of the Company to obtain microprocessors in sufficient quantities with competitive price/performance features could have an adverse impact on the Company's results of operations and financial condition."

No shit
  • Reply 4 of 7
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Doesn't give an AMD hint one way or the other, but at least it seems Apple knows it needs to be on par with Intel to stay competetive. That realization is nice to finally see.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree. At least it is comforting to know that Apple KNOWS that it is lagging behind.

But knowing is one thing, I hope Apple works on it.

Go Apple Go!!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Don't be idiots. That sentence is in every Apple 10-k.

Jet
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Its a cover your ass sentence. They HAVE to put ever possible scenario they can think of that could affect sales and performance in that so I can't go sue them in a year cause the stock price is in the toilet and their computers are still shipping at 800MHz.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Gee, Apple, is the marketing hype and the 10K report slightly mismatched ?

I'm glad they're saying it in public.

Now, do something about it.

The comments about the PPC suppliers sound somewhat frustrated and barbed.

Yes, the G4 under-developed, under-delivered. It DID hurt Apple. Their 'power'Mac sales are in the toilet. Problem is, they could really do with that 970 now or early 2003 with a big 'tower' range price cut. They wouldn't be able to build them fast enough. If Apple are ever going to reach beyond their current 3-5% hardware niche they have got to think different.

I wouldn't rule out some form of AMD move on proprietary m'board as part of a 970 strategy. As long as there's an 'X' in it, who cares? Team up with Dell to sell their properitary x86 box? If Apple have all their software ready to go with a recompile? All the iapps. Final Cut Pro' etc? A VPC compatability layer? Who knows.

300 million PC sales most of which x86?

I'm sure Apple would like a slice of that cake.

From the company that made Mac on Unix work?

Anything is possible. Moki's ghosted hints about AMD are ever intriguing.

To get on, Apple are going to have to be bolder in mindshare, advertising, price etc. They're not aggressive enough. We need more than yearly updates for the iMac...du-oh!

Lemon Bon Bon